FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Come meet our new baby!

Author Topic: Come meet our new baby!
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Leslie Jade was born on 10/23 at 3:55 am. She weighed 8 lbs 5 oz and is 20.5 inches long. She is a good baby except when she gets gas, then she screams! Any suggestions on gas relief would be welcome!
http://www.darthunix.com/gallery/albums/album11/P1010049.sized.jpg

Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
awwwwwwwwww
she's so precious
and what a pretty name

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!

Glad to hear mom and daughter are doing well.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
What a cutie! Congratulations!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Leslie Jade, Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of--God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Not my words, of course, but good words nonetheless.

Congratulations dawnmaria! She's a cutie! No good suggestions for the gas though, I'm afraid.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of times people show you their baby pictures and you think "good lord I have to lie about this one."

Luckily this isn't one of those times. She's a cutie! [Smile]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwwwwwww! What a cutie. Congratulations. [Hat]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - she looks well baked for a newborn. Usually they come out all raisiny.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Ralphie

Welcome to your precious little one!

Gas pains.

Lay the infant belly down over your forearm, supporting her face with your hand (ensure the nose is free for breathing) and gently rub.

Over the knee can work, too. Supporting th head, gently jiggle your knee up and down.

Some babies need to be up along your shoulder and then some gentle bouncing.

Are you breast feeding or bottle feeding. Bottles can release airbubbles which hurt, so you need to watch for that and burp more frequently.

I'm sure other experts will chime in, soon.

Now, about that mommy care . . . there is nothing (I repeat NOTHING) so important as you and the baby right now. Sleep, eat, cuddle, bond, babycare, self care, repeat. For the next month.

Congratulations!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! She looks remarkably like my Sophie! What a sweetie!

Also take care with what you are eating if you are breastfeeding. I've found that I can not eat certain foods like black beans or jalepenos (shame on me yesterday, Sophie was very unhappy) and some foods are okay in small doses like broccoli. If you are formula feeding, you may also want to try switching formulas to see if there is one that is a little easier on her tummy.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
My milk hasn't been enough even though i give her the breast every 2 hours and i pump if she sleeps through it, so i have been supplementing w/ soy formula. Weird food isn't really an issue. i have to force myself to eat. i've lost 37 pounds since she was born. since i gained zero during the pregnancy i can wear pre prego clothes already. the doc's office doesn't think mixing the formula and milk is a prob but i am going to see what they say at her check up tuesday. she's already gained 2 lbs so she is getting enough food. i just hate to see her in pain with the gas. and it's always right before bed time. [Frown]
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
dawnmaria, she is so yummy! Congrats!
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] She's adorable! Congratulations!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
It takes time for breastmilk to come in, and supplementing with formula just inhibits the production of milk - the more baby suckles, the more demand, the more supply.

There are a couple of really good threads on breastfeeding support around here. I'll take a look -

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan is right. The more you supplement, the less the baby will nurse, thus the more you supplement . . . it becomes a vicious cycle, and can result in weaning long before either of you wants.

Try nursing more often, if you can. And a consultation with a (local) lactation consultant may be useful as well.

As far as gas, Shan and Christy had some good ideas there as well. But one thing I didn't see suggested is simethicone. For some babies, it helps tremendously, especially in combination with the methods mentioned above.

Good luck! And enjoy that little darling. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile] She's gorgeous, congratulations.
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful baby! [Hat]

and I second what Shan said...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I would wake her up if she is sleeping through feedings, and not pump until your milk supply is established (about a month). I would also do some reading about breastfeeding -- the La Leche book and "A Nursing Mother's Companion" have been recommended here and offer some good information and there are many websites out there.

Its up to you if you want to supplement with formula, but realize that this will eventually lead to all formula feedings unless you really are vigilant. The only way I've seen this work is a formula feeding at night.

However, if you are not eating, it may be a healthier thing for YOU to formula feed. You will need to eat about 300 extra calories above your prepregnancy diet to account for the nursing and be sure to keep hydrated. Have your husband keep you in snacks and juices or liquids.

Are you formula feeding the feeding before you put her to bed? Again, you may want to try to switch formulas to see if she is having trouble digesting the one you are using.

Good luck!

Edit: Also, if she has gained 2 lbs, you probably don't need to worry about supplementing. Most babies lose weight their first weeks until your milk supply and their schedule is established and this is okay. They worry if she has lost more than 10% of her birth weight, but again, something to talk to your doctor about.

[ November 08, 2004, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.