FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mozilla's Firefox 1.0 released

Author Topic: Mozilla's Firefox 1.0 released
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
For all of you looking for your Internet Explorer alternative...look no further.

Link to Mozilla download page

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that different from my Version 1.0 preview release?
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiosity--I'm not much of a geek. What makes one browser faster than another? Is the difference perceptible? Does it make any difference if you're still on a dial-up (like I am at home)?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Mozilla's products. I've been using Firefox for a few months now and it's pretty good.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
It does have some notable fixes, though you may or may not care about them (check the release notes for FF 1.0).

As to speed, a lot depends on the algorithms used, and yes, it can make a difference, but might not. As for dialup, it can make a difference, but less so if lots of image files or flash stuff or the like is embedded in the web page. Seeing as FireFox is free, and doesn't try to take over your computer, you could always try it out for a while, and uninstall if you don't like it.

When you try it out, be sure to add extensions to the browser, they are nice, easily-installed add-ons that can do nifty things. Also, tabbed browsing is really nice, if you try it out.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I ever got along without tabbed browsing. I luurrve tabbed browsing.

So, what extensions do you recommend?

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep...once you've gone tabbed...there is no going back.
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

A related problem: with a dialup, I'm not willing to download an 8 MB file on a lark. [Smile] Which is why I'm still using IE 5.5 (which works very nicely, I think).

I'll probably download Firefox and play with it here at work. Safari has some shortcomings that even I notice and get annoyed with.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a list of computer features that I didn't see the point to at first, but quickly got to the point where I could never turn back:

Scroll wheel on mouse
tabbed browsing
multiple monitors

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liquor and Fireworks
Member # 5785

- posted      Profile for Liquor and Fireworks   Email Liquor and Fireworks         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes this is newer than the 1.0 Preview Release, yes it will run faster on dialup.
When I had dialup I actually noticed quite a bit of a performance increase when I switched from IE to mozilla.
You may want to try downloading from one of these mirrors as mozilla.org is taking a big hit right now.

Some recommended extensions:
SmoothWheel
BugMeNot
Compact Menu
FlashBlock
IE View (For the rare page that won't display properly)
Show Failed URL
ForecastFox (until today known as WeatherFox)

Not all of these have been updated to work with 1.0 but they should be shortly.
You might also like the Qute theme here.
(screenshots here )

[ November 09, 2004, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Liquor and Fireworks ]

Posts: 331 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

OK, so I'm posting this using Firefox 1.0.

/Hello World/;

Liquor and Fireworks
Member # 5785

- posted      Profile for Liquor and Fireworks   Email Liquor and Fireworks         Edit/Delete Post 
Also try Find As You Type and you'll be hooked for life.
Just start typing and it will highlight as you type and bring up a bar at the bottom of the screen showing what you have typed and giving you options such as find next/previous and highlight all.

Posts: 331 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried downloading extensions, but I keep getting errors "This object has been blocked."

I put the domain on the allow list for both pop-ups and allow web site to install software, but that doesn't change anything. I've tried in both FireFox and yes, of all horrors, in IE. Settings for allow have been done in both FireFox and Internet Options.

Any suggestions?

Edit: This is a ZoneAlarm issue. No advice required.

[ November 10, 2004, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: quidscribis ]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
I recently downloaded and installed Firefox after hearing several people here rave about it.

Then I uninstalled it 2 hours later.

Firefox is almost everything Opera has been since I started using it 4 years ago.

"Yes, but Firefox is FREE!" you might say.

To which I would reply: You get what you pay for.

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I just switched to FF this week and I really like it. It seems a bit faster and I have not had a problem with it yet, although I am still trying it out. I don't think I will ever get rid of IE, but it might not be my default browser much longer.....

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
But Opera, for me at least, has some pretty major glitches that prevent hassle free browsing. FF, otoh, doesn't. I'm still sold on FF.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity, what was the nature of your "major glitches" quidscribis?

I've been using Opera since it's early 5.xx release and except for the rare page which doesn't want to display correctly, it works flawlessly for me.

I'm still running windows 98, however. Perhaps that has something to do with my success (kinda counterintuitive isn't it!)

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I just hope they get bugmenot working again...I love that addin
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Opera glitches:

frequent crashes
pages not loading properly
never saved a single password/userid/etc ever
bookmarks - didn't save properly

Did I have problems with trying to save files? Possibly, but I'm not entirely sure. And a few other things most likely that I don't remember off hand. It was a while ago and I've got a bad memory at the best of times.

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, the nice thing about FireFox is there is an "IE View" extension that lets you open a page in IE, if it renders funky in Mozilla (which is uncommon, but not unheard of).

For the record, FireFox was a 4.7 MB download when I tried it.

-Bok

My Extensions:

WeatherFox
AdBlock
IE View
Dictionary Search
One of the Download managers that creates a bar at the bottom of the window, rather than a popped up window. I forget the name.
BugMeNot

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Bok, I'm on a Mac. Dunno if that made a difference, but it was 8.7 MB.

I tried Opera for the Mac, but that was a joke. Bleh. Never again. We'll see how Firefox does.

Liquor and Fireworks
Member # 5785

List of 1.0 compatible extensions.
Some of these are repackaged versions not made by the extensions authors, but they still work fine.
If you want to get old extensions to work type about:config into the address bar, then type extension into the filter box, doubleclick app.extensions.version and set it to 0.10 and that should do the trick.
quote:
I recently downloaded and installed Firefox after hearing several people here rave about it.

Then I uninstalled it 2 hours later.

Firefox is almost everything Opera has been since I started using it 4 years ago.

"Yes, but Firefox is FREE!" you might say.

To which I would reply: You get what you pay for.

Actually you can get Opera for free if you don't mind looking at ads [Smile]
I actually had about the same experience with opera, I downloaded it and installed, it kept giving me an error message whenever I used it from a limited account, It had WAY too much clutter and kept giving me annoying pop up messages.
I'm used to firefox where the options are few and the "fun" stuff is enabled by default and the "crap" is not.
I think Opera is somewhat bloated and needs to be trimmed down. I know, I know, "but it's smaller!"
Firefox is smaller than opera when it uses the same compression, but they use 7-zip instead (probably because it's open source but I'm not sure.)
If Opera cleaned up the interface I might like it, but I honestly like it less than IE.
Just my 2 cents.

[ November 11, 2004, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Liquor and Fireworks ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.