FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The next Pope

Author Topic: The next Pope
Proteus
Member # 794

- posted      Profile for Proteus   Email Proteus         Edit/Delete Post 
Me and my friend have been studying the alleged prophecies of St. Malachy - beleive me, not something we do every day.

Malachy predicted every Pope from his own time up until the end and collpase of the Catholic Church - if you beleive this sort of thing he was correct with every guess, although from past experience i know that it isn't too difficult to find some way to prove a prophecy true so long as you try hard enough.

But to the point, me and my friend have been following a line of investigation to make a point in context - who will the next Pope be, according to the prophecies.

The crux of the prophecy is:

"De Gloria Olivae/From the Glory of the Olives: The Order of Saint Benedict has claimed that this pope will come from their ranks. Saint Benedict himself prophesied that before the end of the world his Order, known also as the Olivetans, will triumphantly lead the Catholic Church in its fight against evil."

If this information, combined with any knowledge you may have or be able to attain can lead to an answer - especially if it corresponds to a name on the list of suspected papal successors - would be greatly appreciated.

I know its a bit bizarre but... isn't this what Hatrack is for?

And plus, seeing how there are only two Catholic Popes supposedly left (according to St. Malachy) after John Paul II, isn't curiosity enough?

Thanks.

Proteus.

Posts: 200 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting topic.

I don't know any of the players in Church politics, and I don't know how many knowledgeable people there are here on the topic.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
If even I, who live in a mostly Catholic country, don't care abouyt the next Pope, I wonder who will. I mean, even for a lot of Catholics the Pope means less and less.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Quick googling found 5 people considered "likely" to be selected Pope. 3 of them were the "most likely." I also found several statements to the effect that predicting the next Pope is near-impossible.

None of the articles identified the orders of the candidates.

Sorry.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If even I, who live in a mostly Catholic country, don't care abouyt the next Pope, I wonder who will. I mean, even for a lot of Catholics the Pope means less and less.
You say you live in a mostly Catholic country, but are you Catholic yourself?

I don't see the Pope meaning less and less to Catholics over here.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. He means less and less to most -- if not all -- of the Catholics I know. I suppose a more precise statement is that the Pope means less and less to less devout Catholics, and that Catholics in general are becoming less devout.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hm. He means less and less to most -- if not all -- of the Catholics I know. I suppose a more precise statement is that the Pope means less and less to less devout Catholics, and that Catholics in general are becoming less devout.
The collapse is nigh! [Wink]

But seriously, I have not noticed this trend. The Pope's status for the Catholics I know (my family) hasn't decreased. Well... he isn't the godemperor anymore... but still the spiritual leader. But that doesn't mean people can't disagree with him. Happens all the time.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to take one specific example: I have often heard the sentiment "Well, the Pope can't tell me what to do with my body," regarding abortion and/or birth control. I would argue that, even fifty years ago, most Catholics would have said the Pope could.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. Let's start the campaign now.

Olivet for Pope! Olivet for Pope! Olivet for Pope!

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the Pope still tries. But fewer people listen nowadays. [Wink]

As for me, I am going to be heartbroken when JPII dies. Anyone who doubts his significance wasn't there at World Youth Day a couple summers ago when hundreds of thousands of people came from all over the world to see him, listen to him, and to chant his name in approval.

And the only name I've ever heard mentioned as potential next pope is Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger. But he's not a particularly liberal person, she there's a lot of people who don't want to see him.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Sadly, of the four people I know personally who went to World Youth Day, three of them wound up "hooking up" and sleeping with a stranger they met there. *cringe* I'm reasonably sure that their admiration for the Pope has little to no impact on their actual sense of morality.
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Today, in my Talmud class, a girl was wearing a t-shirt that said "POPE" across the front... and the professor asked her what it was. She said it was the name of her high school, it was an acronym for something, or something like that... and my professor said "Oh, I thought you just had high ambitions."

And then a girl yelled "I AM GOING TO BECOME THE FIRST. FEMALE. JEWISH. POPE!"

It was a funny class. [Wink]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.