FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How happy is too happy?

Author Topic: How happy is too happy?
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
On a scale of 1-100 with one being depressingly sad, and 100 being sickeningly sweet, how happy do you like your endings? Are you the type who feels like the story isn't over until everyone's dead, or do you think everything should work out absolutely perfectly and end with a perky song and dance number? Personally, I like books and movies that end just on the happy side of 50, so the story is realistic, without being depressing. Your thoughts?
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
In my head, this is defined by the classic Edith Wharton/Jane Austen divide. Both authors have wit, insight into high society, social commentary, and plots driven by romantic entanglements. Jane Austen, however, always has a happy ending, and Edith Wharton has a realistic story with a sadly all-too-probable ending.

I love them both, but I believe in Edith Wharton’s stories more.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're looking at it wrong. It's not a question of whether it is happy or sad - it is a question of whether it is realistic.

I think happier is better, so long as it is realistic - but dumb happy endings end up falling apart because they are unrealisticly set up to be happy.

The reverse is also possilbe: Look at many horror movies and you can see cheesy sad endings - endings that are unrealisticly set up to deliberately be very negative. They are just as cheesy as many happy endings are.

[ November 10, 2004, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. A person that actually enjoy's Edith Wharton [Confused] Im assuming you're not an 11th grade high school student [Wink]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I like endings that provide reasonable and well-paced conclusions to the storylines in the book. Satisfactory resolution is usually on the happy side, I guess. Seeing as it's the resolution of the emotion more than resolution of the action that you're going for, you don't want to give the feeling that major emotional conflict is still going on.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the story...

If it's a cheesy, romantic comedy/musical style story, then it should end happily.

If it's a book with a slightly higher intellectual value than that, then somewhere between 55-65, I would say. I agree... realistic is good, but too sad is not necessarily good. And not really realistic either.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.