FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This land is your land, this land is my land . . . (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: This land is your land, this land is my land . . .
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
The Bush administration is very anti-science... or rather, they want to suppress science that doesn't support their policy views, and promote instead pretend-science that will. Scientific American has documented it and described it in editorials.

Religion and Science are not pawns of politics. They exist independently of it. Truth is not something that's malleable for the sake of winning power. Truth is just truth. Again and again we see this administration failing to understand that.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously we're not going to agree, Dagonee.

However, I would like to continue the discussion on another tangent: were the book included, what section would you consider it best to place it in (assuming this bookstore has some rudimentary sections on various categories of books)? What sections would it be acceptable to place it in?

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It would be acceptable to place it anywhere.

It should probably be kept in the same place they keep books on aliens building the pyramids.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

*plans proposal for "Mythology and New Age Ideas" section*
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Since having religious books and scientific books in a private book store doesn't mean that the book store is advocating either view point why is it assumed that when the book store is in the public sector a viewpoint is being advocated?
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

When the stated purpose of the bookstore is to educate people about a particular thing.
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
who says that the entire bookstore is to 'educate'

I have not been to the grand canyon, but I have been to the bookstores of many museums and other landmarks...and much of what is in the bookstores is not educational. They are mostly full of crap that they know parents will buy their kids.

I'd say the primary goal of any bookstore at monuments and museums is to provide extra funding to supplement what the government gives the museum/monument to operate.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the purposes is to educate, but its larger purpose is to inspire interest and raise money. Besides a book about a belief as to how the Grand Canyon was created is education.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

A book stating scientific ideas about how the grand canyon formed are completely unreasonable is anti-educational.
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it be a form of censorship to keep it out of the bookstore?
Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Personally I don't think its any more anti-educational than a book saying that scientific ideas about how human speech derived from hand signals instead of mothers communicating with their babies are wrong.
fugu13
Member # 2859

There's a difference between saying an idea is wrong and saying an idea is completely unreasonable.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
The Grand Canyon bookstore is not entirely educational. Unless stuffed animals have an obviously educational purpose.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Non-educational stuff does not compromise an educational mission. Anti-educational stuff does.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

And that's exactly the kind of distinction I find most troubling.

Would you care to make some nice objective standards as to what's considered "anti-educational"?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Sure. This isn't exhaustive, but it doesn't have to be.

If a work says another work (or a body of work) which may be considered scientific under the standards laid out in Edwards vs Aguillard is prima facie ridiculous, it may be considered anti-educational.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Veeery dangerous road you're heading down.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
"Here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it."
Thomas Jefferson
fugu13
Member # 2859

I think less dangerous than the restrictions on plaques put up we already have in place -- and the plaques have far more places they could go than books could be put, because park bookstores must necessarily be kept small to prevent environmental contamination.

Note that my objection is primarily based on that the NPS has abundant regulations which state quite clearly the goals of the park system and its book stores. Education, education, education. Money factors in as well, but the ultimate goal of the system is always education.

Books which not only are not part of but operate against informed education do not have a place in such a book store any more than a plaque claiming a site was where george washington was born (when he wasn't) has a place in a park.

If the purpose changed, what would be appropriate in such a bookstore would change as well.

fugu13
Member # 2859

I tolerate error in abundance, and am generally a champion of private free speech. This is not, however, private speech. This is my speech, and the speech of all of our government. A government over all of us should hold itself to high standards, and one of those standards is as to what constitutes good educational material.

We already have a several frameworks for discerning between things which are and aren not educational in certain subject areas; it is also very possible to discern those things which dismiss things found to be educational under those frameworks.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
This is not, however, private speech.
That's where your wrong. It is the government distributing private speech. Big difference from non-private speech.

Dagonee

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
As usual, Kipling has something appropriate to say :

quote:
GALLIO’S SONG

All day long to the judgment-seat
The crazed Provincials drew—­
All day long at their ruler’s feet
Howled for the blood of the Jew.
Insurrection with one accord
Banded itself and woke:
And Paul was about to open his mouth
When Achaia’s Deputy spoke

“Whether the God descend from above
Or the man ascend upon high,
Whether this maker of tents be Jove
Or a younger deity—­
I will be no judge between your gods
And your godless bickerings,
Lictor, drive them hence with rods—­
I care for none of these things!

“Were it a question of lawful due
Or a labourer’s hire denied,
Reason would I should bear with you
And order it well to be tried
But this is a question of words and names
And I know the strife it brings,
I will not pass upon any your claims.
I care for none of these things.

“One thing only I see most clear,
As I pray you also see.
Claudius Caesar hath set me here
Rome’s Deputy to be.
It is Her peace that ye go to break
Not mine, nor any king’s,
But, touching your clamour of ‘conscience sake,’
I care for none of these things!”

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Did any of you see the recent Slashdot article that talked about how journalists address scientific issues with regards to "balancing" their articles?

Here's the link they provided. I thought it was an interesting read, and somewhat pertinent to this discussion.

http://www.cjr.org/issues/2004/6/mooney-science.asp

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't agree with it being lumped in with the scientific books.

But I don't have a problem with them selling it, not when the government in many locations sells thing that refer to Indian Mythology and their creationist ideas. I think it needs to be separated, so that there is less chance of it being mistaken as a scientifically proven theory, though.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.