FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If you could have one singer... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: If you could have one singer...
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
If you could have one singer stand by your bed (or some other part of your house) and sing to you all night for free, who would it be? Me, it would be Ella Fitzgerald. The woman could sing the phone book and send shivers down my spine, the way she can caress a lyric with her velvet voice is amazing. i only discovered her in the last 2 years, when I rekindled my love of jazz. (I hadn't really bothered with jazz vocalists before.)
ANYWAY, any thoughts on who you'd want to have singing to you in your wherever, for free?

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Billy Boyd [Big Grin]

[Blushing]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Diamanda Galás
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmmmm... maybe Norah Jones...
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Alison Krauss came to mind first, but Norah Jones is probably a superior choice.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

I loved Billy Boyd's song in Return of the King. It was a nice touch to have that in the movie.
It is that Billy Boyd, isn't it?

[ November 12, 2004, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Cashew ]

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
If they are a vocalist for a band, do they get their band backing them up?
Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

Depends on how big your bedroom is I guess. I was kind of thinking of solo singers, not lead singers in bands, but a singer is a singer.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it is that Billy Boyd. [Blushing]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

That first one didn't count -- it was a joke.

Serious answer: I'd probably have to go with Mahalia Jackson.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it would depend on my mood. My first choice is Harry Connick Jr. Ahhhhhh. I love his voice. We could probably cram the piano into my bedroom too. [Smile]

But if I was feeling classical, I would want Dawn Upshaw in tandem with Placido Domingo. They would probably keep me awake though. [Smile]

edit: drat this slow computer at work!

[ November 12, 2004, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
My beloved Viggo Mortensen. His music can be depressing (in a socially aware kind of way), but that voice. And, you know, Viggo in my bedroom? Can't argue with that! [Wink]
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm, Billy Boyd.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NdRa
Member # 2295

- posted      Profile for NdRa   Email NdRa         Edit/Delete Post 
Nina Simone. Mahallia would be a close second.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Biz "The Diabolical" Markie

or Mike Patton

[ November 12, 2004, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming that he was a healthy, living human being, George Harrison. But I have to admit that I'd probably want to spend as much time talking to him as listening to him play and sing.

If we can pick mythological figures, I'm going to go with Orpheus. Or maybe a siren, as long as I'm tied down to the bed securely (and she doesn't just walk over and slit my throat or something).

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia, because if she were singing in my bedroom, I'd see her a lot more often.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, I dunno. [Smile]

Leonard Cohen

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
If he would be allowed to bring in his guitar and an amplifier, Mark Knopfler. He could sing a grocery list, and I'd be transfixed, provided he put a guitar solo in it.

If no instruments are allowed, then maybe I'd go with Jasmine Rodgers. Her voice is angelic, and I certainly wouldn't argue with having her in my bedroom. . . .

Of course, I don't know how well she does a capella. In that case, maybe Rockapella would be a better choice. They don't even need instruments to make great backing music.

Edit: But you said one singer, didn't you? So Rockapella wouldn't work. Maybe David Bowie. Or . . . oh! Oh! Utada Hikaru!

[ November 12, 2004, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Verily the Younger ]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
In my bedroom it would probably be Lisa Loeb. Any other room in my house it would be Blake Swarzenbach.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
In order of preference: Joan Baez, Connie Dover,Tony Williams (of The Platters) I suppose that Sarah McClaughlin would recieve honorable mention.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, Lisa Loeb. Good one. I want her, too!

Oh, no! I've got it! Sarah Brightman! Sarah Brightman!

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuce.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Lenny Bruce?
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

ha ha.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Damien Rice
He has a sexy, sexy, sexy voice.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, this is a tough one, but I've narrowed it down to either Norah Jones or Jason Mraz. Can I have Jason in the morning and Norah at night?
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I would be creeped out if anyone was standing by my bed singing to me all night. [Angst]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Danny Elfman singing songs from Nightmare Before Christmas.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Bono - absolutely, definitely, and unequivocally.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Jewel, singing her folk songs.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, hard to choose. Lisa Loeb is just insanely cute (What with those glasses and all [Smile] ). But I think Norah Jones would work better (Speaking of which, I wonder if her music will actually help my insomnia...)
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Natalie Merchant, maybe.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Frank Sinatra.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
If I could have only one Singer. . .

appliance, it would be a huge air conditioning unit. Yeah, that'd do the trick right quick. [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... I can think of several instrumentalists I would want, but not one singer comes immediately to mind....

Maybe Barry White (who is no longer alive, so doesn't count)

[ November 13, 2004, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Are the girl posters all choosing guy singers? And vice versa - the guys are choosing female singers?

That would make sense -- I mean if the singer is going to be in the bedroom

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
How about no one. I wouldn't be able to sleep.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

MEC,
True! Or, you would be asleep and not hear them.

Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
Ron Sexsmith, on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

Rufus Wainright, on the others.

Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
"That would make sense -- I mean if the singer is going to be in the bedroom."

Hey, what are you implying. [Smile]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nina Simone
Oooh... good choice, Sandy.

I would have to go with either Maire Brennan, Loreena McKennit, Paul Simon, or if I was feelin' randy John Mayer. (Just cause he's dreamy.)

Wait, that's... [counts on fingers] four. When pressed, Maire Brennan for non-randiness, John Mayer if randy.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatg a difficult decision! There are so many musicians and I love these days.

Probably Dmitri Hvorostovsky... He has the best baritone ever. Then there is SHIINA RINGO TO CONSIDER.
Gaw.. she is such a BABE...
but there is also tori and sarah and Ella.......
and Kyo...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BunnV
Member # 6816

- posted      Profile for BunnV   Email BunnV         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be creepy to have a stanger at your bed side. But just for fun:

m.j.k., Dido, or Thom Y.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

dra:

Well see now your coolness factor just keeps increasing. Sure, it makes sense for the pseudo-academic white boy to drop the name of one of the greatest Gospel singers and female vocalists of all time. I mean the only way I could have been more cliched would have been to say Ella (no offense to cashew -- I'm just sayin').

But you've got street cred.

Dang, there's just no out-coolin' Sandy.

Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to second what Noemon said. I'd like to wake up to George Harrison singing to me, then just talk with him for the rest of, oh say, my life.

I second Bono and Danny Elfman, who are 2 of the 3 sole-ly vocalists that I look up to the most.

The third is Mick Jagger and if he was in my bedroom, I would not want him *singing*.......

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
MEC,
True! Or, you would be asleep and not hear them.

http://www.popentertainment.com/noone.htm

Who said I wanted to sleep?

actually though, I don't know who I would really want.

[ November 15, 2004, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: MEC ]

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billy Joel
Member # 5357

- posted      Profile for Billy Joel           Edit/Delete Post 
For you, Yozhik... I just might. I just might.
Posts: 116 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa Girrard!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.