FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » touching is good

Author Topic: touching is good
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else pre-order the Nintendo DS?

It'll be my first handheld gaming console. In fact, my first gaming console since the Atari 2600.

My favorite feature? The touch screen with stylus and thumb strap.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

(If you didn't know, "touching is good" is the Nintendo publicity line for the DS.)

their release site, very flash heavy.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I would order it, but I'll be leaving on my mission soon, so i've been staying away from video games. However, I will probably get it when I return.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm tempted to, but I'm going to wait for a few more games to be released for it since I already have a huge backlog on other systems to play through as it is. Still, the lure of picking up a new system on its release is strong.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't look like a vast improvement over the SP, which didn't come out too long ago, so I think I'll stick with my SP. Nintendo should work on getting some games out for their systems before developing an improvement for them. It was in part the rapid succession of systems that pushed Sega out of the system development and strictly into game development.

Granted it says that all of the old games still work, but they won't use all the new features, and they haven't really developed very many games for the color, advance, or SP handhelds yet, though I have a couple hundred for my original black and white made in 1995 gameboy. In short a touch screen, and a second screen doesn't replace quality games.

Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

Mario 64 ds

I never played it the first time around, so I'm excited to play it this time.

I've heard that the GBA games play much brighter on the DS than on the GBA itself.

MEC
Member # 2968

I was wondering, does anyone know if connectivity between the DS and GC is possible? (as in the way the GBA connected to the GC)

Also if multiplayer is allowed with advance games?

[ November 22, 2004, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: MEC ]

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

quote:
advance, or SP handhelds
The advance and sp are the same handheld, just different versions.
dabbler
Member # 6443

I dunno the answers to those questions.

But the DS is awesome. It's wonderful. They really created a different way of interacting with games.

I played a little of Feel the Magic last night. Some of the puzzles require you to blow onto the microphone to blow out candles, rub away spiky balls in the road, or spraypaint within the lines.

Mario mini games have stuff like a Where's Waldo, flinging slingshot at paratroopers, etc.

It's really really cool.

Surround sound, microphone, multiplayer wireless, headphones, 6-10 hour battery life, touch screen, two screens, backlight, GBA compatible, GBA-slot also acts as expansion (TV tuner in development).

All for $150. And games are priced at $30. But you'll be hard pressed to find one right now. EB and GameStop sold out of their preorders weeks ago, though BestBuy had some in stock yesterday.

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hesitant to buy this. My brother and sister have owned a GBA for quite some time, and the only thing I ever find myself playing on them are the same games I played on my original Game Boy. And I don't travel enough to need one for planes or road trips.

[ November 22, 2004, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

Hey Goat, How old are you? I always thought you were an adult.

Just so this is clear to everyone, the DS only allows backwords compatibility with the GBA. The GBC and GB games do not work with it.

I'm really excited about the wireless multiplayer though.

MEC
Member # 2968

quote:
Nintendo DS features a separate media port for Game Boy Advance cartridges. Nintendo DS allows you to play all your favorite Game Boy Advance games in a single-player mode.

Ok, I found this on the Nintendo site, so I assume the answer to my first question is also no.
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey Goat, How old are you? I always thought you were an adult.
quote:
Just so this is clear to everyone, the DS only allows backwords compatibility with the GBA. The GBC and GB games do not work with it.
That really sucks.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

A long stream of backwards compatibility can bog down a system. Look a Windows and its insistence on keeping DOS for so many years. Windows and Apple both had to finally choose to stop continuing legacy software (and hardware).

The DS is considered to be a separate gaming line from the GB line. There are over a hundred games currently in development for the DS, and several dozen will be out by March. It's a totally different system. There's no need to hold-over all the way to the beginning.

Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine is developing for the DS and says he really, really likes the system. He couldn't go into details because of NDAs, but he highly recommends it.
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

The GBA didn't even allow GBC/GB multiplayer.

As for the backwords compatibility, I just wanted it so I could trade in my GBA to get a discount on the DS. Even though the $150 price tag looks very good, I don't want to have 3 handhelds(GBC, GBA, and DS).

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that I know that the DS isn't backwards compatible with GB GBC, I think I might just get an SP for now. They're cheaper. Then when DS gets games that I want, I'll buy one of those.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got one, it's pretty cool, I didn't think i'd like the touchpad as much as I do. My friend however says it gives him thumbaches to use the stylus. I have no problems, and I've played it for hours on end. One thing to note: There is no GameBoy Advance EXT Port. I've heard of people trying the GBA wireless adapter with the DS but I haven't heard of what came of it. You can play GBA games multiplayer with other DS handhelds though.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.