FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Goats with Spider DNA

Author Topic: Goats with Spider DNA
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
Truth is sometimes stranger then fiction. A company is working on developing a better, stronger, lighter body armor material. A material that has all the characteristics that they are looking for is spider silk. However, how do you get enough spider silk to generate a material out of it? They decided to introduce spider DNA to goats. The result is the milk of the goats contains the protiens that create spider silk. They can milk the goats and then harvest the protiens from it to spin the new spider silk. They call the new material "BioSteel". VERY strange. Here is a link to the company web site. Nexia Biotechnologies Inc.
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
To introduce one species' DNA into anothers, don't they have to have the same diploid number of chromosomes to be compatible?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Just think what this could do for the classic "Billy Goats Gruff." It could be modernized!

In this version, the troll gets lured out by the sight of an apparently helpless goat the others leave as an offering. When he steps out, the goats entangle him in a milky web and suck his bodily fluids dry, leaving the dessicated corpse behind them.

*not considering a career as a writer of children's literature*

[ November 15, 2004, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading about this a few years ago. Interesting that they're getting close to market.

Could you imagine drinking that milk? [Angst]

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] It has to be processed to make the silk from the proteins. Otherwise, poor nanny goat! [Eek!]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I want some for Christmas!
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh.. they way I read it..if you read the site they say that they no longer are intersted in mass producing/spinning for body armour and such, they are now only producing nanotubes and other forms of the biosteel in nano-applications and research.

Still, cool idea.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been hearing about this for so many years I'm starting to wonder if anything's going to come of it. From this company, anyway.

Definately a cool idea and only the tip of the transgenetic iceberg. A science that doesn't seem to bother people so long as it's not in their food or in people.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
kaio, they don't need to have the same number of chromosomes. Most likely a portion of DNA was injected into a cell which then recombined into the existing chromosomes. That's the simplified version, of course.

Bacterial plasmids? Virus vectors? I didn't read the article [Wink]

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
SWEET. So, do the goats have like 8 legs and fangs?

Next thing you know, you're going to see a goat dressed up in a red suit swinging around New York City by her udder.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
*nods* Gracias, Dabbler
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. In sixth grade, my nick name was "Spider Goat". It then transformed into "Skabibibismipmunkog billapoat", but "spider goat" was the starter. I should show this article to the friend that started it.

And, Dag, I have a hard time imagining myself drinking any goat milk. Ewwww!

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.