FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Toy Story 3-- By Dreamworks?

Author Topic: Toy Story 3-- By Dreamworks?
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm.

quote:
Disney is in the process of setting up a digital animation facility in Glendale -- not far from the digs of its bitter rival DreamWorks Animation -- that will be used for the production of "Toy Story 3."
*braces* I liked the first two, but the fact that Disney has decided to do it without Pixar sends shivers up my spine...

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get your title. [Confused]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst]

Icarus, by "by", I believe he means "near". The way your big toe is "by" your pointer toe. Or, what would be your pointer toe if you used your foot to point.

[ November 16, 2004, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Its not going to be by dreamworks, its going to be by disney, the studios just happen to be near each other.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
I think in opening up this animation studio right after closing their traditional animation studio, Disney indicates that it has likely failed to understand why their cartoons have bombed recently.

They think it is because 2-D animation is out and 3-D animation is in. But the reality is their movies just haven't had good stories. I doubt a Disney-made version of Toy Story will be different, unless they find some new leadership and writers.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like the first one.

I didn't see the second, but I hear it's a great deal better. I hope so, because I really REALLY didn't like the first one.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad Bird (director and writer of The Incredibles) very much wants to start making some Pixar produced 2-D Animated films. If these are as successful as Pixar's 3D animation films (which I firmly believe they will be, knowing Brad Bird), then Disney will be left scratching their heads.

"But I thought everyone liked their movies because they were made on Computers!"

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally just read that as "Big Bird." [Eek!]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thrak
Member # 5499

- posted      Profile for thrak   Email thrak         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that Brad Bird can convince Pixar to do some tradional hand drawn animation. I think he was the one who directed Iron Giant which is one of the best animated films in the last decade.
Posts: 115 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Iron giant used a lot of computer-generated sequences. So did "Prince of Egypt." I find I prefer the mixed hand-drawn/computer aided style to pure 3D, at least to date.

The Simpsons and Futurama use a lot of computer-aided scene layout, as does South Park.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad Bird was also a key Simpsons writer a While Back.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
a note about the title: That's what I first thought upon seeing the article. Turned out to be false, but in a technical sense, its still true (As Da_Goat) explained, and has proven to be a rather effective attention-getter. [Evil]

The Iron Giant is one of my favorite animated movies-- I didn't know that Bird had directed it as well until after I looked up the crew of The Incredibles.

Disney... is losing touch. Honestly, I think that the best recent Disney animations have all been done by Pixar.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think in opening up this animation studio right after closing their traditional animation studio, Disney indicates that it has likely failed to understand why their cartoons have bombed recently.

They think it is because 2-D animation is out and 3-D animation is in. But the reality is their movies just haven't had good stories. I doubt a Disney-made version of Toy Story will be different, unless they find some new leadership and writers.

Exactly. Are you my old production professor who used to work for Disney? The only reason Pixar is still working with Disney, is because Disney screwed them on the contract. The Disney suits think that quantity brings in the cash, not quality, and it shows in their work.

I'm not happy with Dreamworks either. They did that last fish movie to try and prove that they could do fish movies better than Pixar. I don't know how it compared at the box office or as a movie, but what a stupid reason for making a movie. Plus the whole "I have bigger celebrities in my movie" thing is so over-rated. If the movie is quality, you won't need bs media hype to sell your movie.

btw, aside from the first three or four episodes, South Park is all 3D done entirely in Maya (3D modelling software).

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billy Joel
Member # 5357

- posted      Profile for Billy Joel           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this article and I am scared to death. Not only are they wanting ONE new sequel, but TWO!? Disney, Disney, Disney... you just don't understand.

To be honest, I did like Emperors New Groove. And Iron Giant kicked... yeah.

Posts: 116 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
The way I see it, there's only one problem with Disney. That problem is Michael Eisner. I mean, the guy won't leave even after the share holders voted to oust him.

I speak not only as a fan of animation, but as one of the stock owners who voted to oust Eisner. [Mad]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.