FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help!

Author Topic: Help!
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
School starts in 8 hours. In that time I need to finish a paper, get ready for school, and hopefully get sleep. The paper is not coming along at all. I underestimated this paper. I have less then a page and 2-4 more after that. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the ball rolling? Really suggestions on how to get the ball off of the couch would sufice.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Quit posting on Hatrack and go buckle down and write the thing? [Big Grin]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Set a timer for 15 minutes. Go to the computer and type straight - do not stop, edit, or rearrange.

You should be able to put out at least a double spacd page, probably two. Take 15 minutes to rearrange it into something usable. Repeat.

Not the best way to right, but a good way to fill pages. Assuming you've been thinking about the project, you've got stuff in your brain you're not aware of.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I've just been doing this for a friend, who also had a paper due.

For her I just gave her random ideas to expand a too short paper, but since I can't do that for yourself I say get a cup of something hot, write out how your paragraphs are going to unfold, and then write, even if it's garbage.

Then you can go back and re-arrange and it.

The point right now is to get stuff down so you have something to hand in.

GOOD LUCK!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got stuff in my brain I don't know about all the time. [Big Grin]

Quiet in there!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh! You could post the topic and we could write it round-robin style! One sentence each! But you have to promise to turn it in the way it comes out.

(Dagonee's advice is pretty good. If I had to write papers anymore, I'd probably try that.)

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a professor who advocated something similar to Dagonee's idea--write a bad first draft so you can get your ideas down on paper. Then go back and make it sound good.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

Speed- Biography on Elizabeth I. It could be fun. *shakes Speed's hand with a 5 dollar bill in my palm*

If I stop posting on Hatrack then I will fall asleep. I might try they 15 min straight typing, but I need to do a bit more reading first.

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

Donna the Buffalo? There really needs to be a raised eyebrow smiley. I would use it constantly.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
"Queen Elizabeth was known as the Virgin Queen. As a queen she was successful."

From "Anguished English."

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
There really needs to be a raised eyebrow smiley. I would use it constantly.
How 'bout Ô_o
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

<paraphrase>

"I may have the body of a woman but I have the heart and stomach of a King."

Talk about her steamy affairs with her various head bureaucrats.

Liz I is very interesting.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey rivka, you seem to have a growth on the top of your eye.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
I have one on the reason why genetically modifying Elves into Orcs caused them to develop photo-sensitivity, would you like it?

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

She really is. That is why I picked her. I have already talked about her marriages. I plan to talk about Mary Queen of scots, and the spanish armada

edit: suitors not marriages

[ November 17, 2004, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: Allegra ]

rivka
Member # 4859

It's called an eyebrow, Ronnie. What happened to yours?
Allegra
Member # 6773

No thanks BC. I don't think my Euro teacher would find it relevant. He would be amused as he put an F in the grade book.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I think someone must have stolen them.

[ November 17, 2004, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: Rappin' Ronnie Reagan ]

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

*Runs away with RRR's eyebrows*
Teshi
Member # 5024

*builds them into a beaver dam*

[Monkeys]

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

O_O
Teshi
Member # 5024

*references obscure threads*
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in school and had trouble getting started on a paper, I just quit trying to start it and started working on it in the middle somewhere. Then I worked my way forward to the end and backward to the beginning as it flowed. It must have worked; I generally got A's on my papers.

I guess sometimes it pays to be a nonlinear thinker. [Smile]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
The way she strung those suitors along is a work of art.

Why don't you just write a few pages analyzing her poem "On Monsieur's Departure" . . .

"I grieve and dare not show my discontent" - hell, that line alone could give you endless pages on the complexities of being a woman in power during the late 1500s.

You go, girl! Write that paper!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

I am supposed to discuss historical significance otherwise I would Shan.
Shan
Member # 4550

That poem is exceptioanlly historically significant - imagine how England would be different if Elizabeth had married and turned over her power - she is giving us a glimpse into the humanity so oft hidden behind the ruler's scepter and crown . . .
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

I need to focus on more then her choices on marriage.

I also need to get rid of the cobwebs in my head.

Shan
Member # 4550

I'm not communicating clearly.

Her choice in marriage was to stay unmarried so that she never gave up the reins of power - this was not a popular decision and her lords pushed for her decision as did numerous other countries push for a decison - for an alliance, for the crown, for power. She rode out every last one of those storms - this is one of the most complex, intriguing parts of how Elizabeth kept her crown, her throne, her power - in a time that decried the evilness of women being on the throne at all -

Allegra
Member # 6773

I understand. They have brought it up in everything I have read about her. But I also need to write about other aspects of her reign. Like refining the Anglican church, the Armada, Mary Queen of Scots
Shan
Member # 4550

Well, you coud discuss how she achieved complete sovreignity only after the papal condemnation/excommunication in 1570 . . .
Allegra
Member # 6773

Thanks for the idea. I will see if I can find more information.

Sorry if I am making little to no sense. I have gone to sleep at 2am the past two nights and it is really wearing on me. I also have finals this week due to trimesters so I am a bit stressed.

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm just weird or maybe I did a really good job selecting my topic, but I'm having a great time writing my paper [Smile]

Of course, I also have a habit of regularly staying up till 3 am coding on weekends (and occationally weekdays), so I'm wide awake right now [Big Grin]

I'm sorry your having a hard time with it Allegra [Frown]
(((Allegra)))

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

But you sleep through class. It makes up for the lack of sleep at night.

The paper isn't too bad. It is more the fact my brain will not process anything. I just need to clear my head so I can focus. I could get the paper done in 30-45 min if I could just have a brain that works.

Since you are so awake do you want to just go ahead and do my paper to?

Alcon
Member # 6645

Nah mines not quite finished yet... and I still have my stupid Lit and Comp notes to do...

I HATE GARDENER!!!!!!!!!!

That is all...

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Do you think he'll kill me if I turn in over 7 pages? [Roll Eyes]
Allegra
Member # 6773

No. But remember for every page over 7 you get stretched one foot.
Allegra
Member # 6773

I will not get a good grade on this paper, but I will have something to turn in. It is too short and horrible, but at least I can go to bed soon. [Sleep]
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to read the paper on orc photo sensitivity!
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.