FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Turkey Pardons

Author Topic: Turkey Pardons
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
President Bush pardoned the national Thanksgiving turkey, a traditional presidential photo opp going back a long time.

Am I alone in really, really wanting a President to announce at the ceremony for this that "He just looks too darn tasty - we're gonna eat him this year"?

Does this make me a horrible person?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
1. No
2. Yes

My question is, does the president not in fact eat turkey on thanksgiving? Because if he does, this has been a sham all these years, with one lucky bird going free only to have another have to take his place.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

[ROFL]

But those birds probably aren't cute, so it's OK.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you're not a horrible person if you use me as a standard - which is a highly debatable position to take.

Many years ago, Saturday Night Live put the fate of one "Larry the Lobster" up to its viewers. Those who felt he should be spared and sent to some aquarium or something called one number. Those who felt that lobsters were meant to be eaten called the "boil his butt" number.

I called the latter number. [Evil]

If I recall correctly, the number of calls to save him outnumbered the "boil his butt" calls.

But he got eaten anyway simply because he looked so good to eat. [Smile]

(Yes, I know, I am building a record of just how much I am in need of professional help.)

[ November 17, 2004, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Bush fail to pardon a Turkey at one point in the last 4 years? Maybe the first one, but I can't remember. Hmmm...sacrificial turkey...
Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I hadn't heard that he failed to pardon one year - I'll look for confirmation.

And I definitely would have voted to boil the lobster. [Big Grin]

Dagonee

ElJay
Member # 6358

I seriously wonder about this every year. It just seems so sleazy to pardon one and eat another.

When I am president, I shall have lobster for Thanksgiving dinner. Thanks for the idea, sndrake.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
Didn't Bush fail to pardon a Turkey at one point in the last 4 years?
We should all give him a pass on this. It's not like being a Governor of Texas gave him a lot of experience with granting pardons, after all. [Wink]

He might have been surprised to find out it was part of the job. [Razz]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Well, it was a capital case.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- loves a thanksgiving ham
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I seriously wonder about this every year. It just seems so sleazy to pardon one and eat another.

Must...

...Resist...

...Making...

...Analogy...

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I have a feeling I should be scowling at you, Nate, although I really have no idea what you're thinking.
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
The pardoned bird goes to Kidwell Park in Virginia where it lives out a natural life, as natural as possible in a petting zoo.
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I've been to that park several times. I didn't know I was visiting pardoned birds.
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
Well, it was a capital case.
And your point is? [Wink]

In case I didn't make it clear, I think that GWB, based on his performance as Texas Governor, probably didn't think granting pardons in capital cases was a function of the job.

Certainly not one he had much (Or any?) practice at. (Notes that is not so much about Bush as it is about Texas, where death sentences get carried out with as much frequency as possible.)

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Didn't Bush fail to pardon a Turkey at one point in the last 4 years?
Well, yes, but it was preemptive self defence. The evidence strongly suggested that the turkey possessed weapons of mass destruction.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Come on, Noemon. Food poisoning from one little bird could affect what, 10 people at the outside? Hardly mass destruction.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
And your point is?
That he had even less practice than with regular pardons. [Smile]

Dagonee

Noemon
Member # 1115

If those ten people were really fat, and the food poisoning caused them to lose a lot of weight, would that be considered mass destruction?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Eljay,

I gotta side with Noemon on this. If the leftovers were taken to several homes, and then shared with all their friends and relatives the toll from the bad turkey could have grown exponentially.

The irony here is that the surest route to reducing the risk to humans is to keep the turkey off the menu.

ElJay
Member # 6358

No, because the mass wouldn't actually be destroyed, just, um, relocated.

Edit: sndrake, still not enough turkey, unless everybody just takes one bite, which would be silly. Plus the less each eats, the milder a case of food poisoning they'll get.

[ November 17, 2004, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Proof that this turkey was planning to blow something up:

quote:
Upon encountering danger a turkey often prefers to run, and it does so with amazing explosiveness and agility.

Hear that? It was both agile and explosive. that turkey was a walking time bomb, I'm telling you.

[ November 17, 2004, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw an article that said PETA is still annoyed about it, since it the turkeys don't go to an animal sanctuary where they can be left alone.

you'd think they would be happy that it wasn't getting eaten.

Oh well...if I was prez, I'd prob send the turkey to the PETA headquarters and tell them to take care of it. My guess is even they would get tired of it, and cook it at some point. [Razz]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
Edit: sndrake, still not enough turkey, unless everybody just takes one bite, which would be silly. Plus the less each eats, the milder a case of food poisoning they'll get.

Hah! Everyone knows that bacteria proliferate while sitting around in nice nutrient-rich environments (e.g. sitting around on the counter, being transported, etc.). After a couple days, the potential lethality of the leftovers has increased tremendously.

Sneaky, ruthless, vengeful turkeys! [Mad]

Noemon
Member # 1115

I think we should invade Turkey next, just to make sure this threat is kept in check. It's the only reasonable thing to do.
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
Hah! Everyone knows that bacteria proliferate while sitting around in nice nutrient-rich environments (e.g. sitting around on the counter, being transported, etc.). After a couple days, the potential lethality of the leftovers has increased tremendously.

Oh, yeah, silly me. 'Cause I'd certainly eat turkey that had been sitting on the counter for days, even if it smelled pretty rank. Blech.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I probably would.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

Now I'm all hungry. [Grumble]

[Roll Eyes]

Noemon
Member # 1115

The turkeys have you right where they want you, Int3.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
And then came the sound...of chickens...in choppers.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
'Cause I'd certainly eat turkey that had been sitting on the counter for days, even if it smelled pretty rank.
Bah - it doesn't need to sit out for days - just an hour or two to accelerate bacterial growth. Refrigeration slows bacteria down - doesn't kill or stop growth. And the the bugs that cause food poisoning don't contribute to any kind of rank odor.

See how devious turkeys are?

They sacrifice themselves to launch biological attacks on us, using what they know of our sloppy habits regarding cooking and proper treatment of leftovers....

One of the great public relations campaigns of our time still remains to be told - how turkeys ever managed to lull us all into thinking they were stupid, unthinking creatures.

When what they really are is sinister, devious, criminal masterminds...

Who should be roasted at 325 degrees fahrenheit until cooked thoroughly, taking care to baste at regular intervals for maximum moistness.

ElJay
Member # 6358

Deep-fried, all the way.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap, deep fried is GOOD, LJ.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

This thread is making me wish I still had my copy of Jonathan Segal Chicken, which has been out of print for a long time. [Frown]
ElJay
Member # 6358

Yeah. dkw always wants to roast it, ever since that one year the thermometer got hung up and we crisped the bird. She does roast a pretty good turkey, though. Brines it first, yum.
mackillian
Member # 586

Brines it first?
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it weird that my family makes enchiladas on thanksgiving? When we have no form of hispanic blood at all? Possibly, but it sure is tasty.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

mack, yeah, you soak it in a mixture of salt, sugar, and water in the fridge (or a cooler in the garage if you live in Minnesota/Iowa and your fridge is full of other stuff for Thanksgiving) for a minimum of 24 hours. Then you roast it. Ends up moist and perfect. Works for chickens, too. Make sure you rub a little olive oil on the skin before you put it in the oven so it crisps up nice. [Smile] Ask Dana if you want the details, I work in generalities.

[ November 17, 2004, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
for a minimum of 24 hours
4-5 days, for best results.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

He did it again, darnit.

quote:
In 2006, President Bush gave two turkeys named Flyer and Fryer a last-minute reprieve. The two hailed from Monett, Missouri. For the fourth time, the American public was allowed to vote for the turkeys' names on the White House web site. 2005's turkeys were named Marshmallow and Yam; 2004's were named Biscuit and Gravy; and 2003's were Stars and Stripes.
Maybe I'll start a petition. eatthebird.com is available.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

And then came the sound...of chickens...in choppers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZByndN_ffyw
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it a gobbler if you don't gobble it?

Fox news reported, "Is President Bush Soft on Fowl Felons? Yet again a reprieved death sentence for a Turkey National."

Or maybe it wasn't Fox news.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I'd like to hear the President say "This is a stupid tradition". Then eat the bird.
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
He did it again, darnit.

quote:
In 2006, President Bush gave two turkeys named Flyer and Fryer a last-minute reprieve. The two hailed from Monett, Missouri. For the fourth time, the American public was allowed to vote for the turkeys' names on the White House web site. 2005's turkeys were named Marshmallow and Yam; 2004's were named Biscuit and Gravy; and 2003's were Stars and Stripes.
I will so sign that.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, due to the ‘separation of powers’ the pardon only applies to the Executive Branch. Immediately after the ceremony the turkey is handed over to Congress for a brutal slaughtering. It is then deep fried and served in the congressional cafeteria alongside freedom fries.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I miss sndrake. [Frown]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
He did it again, darnit.

quote:
I will so sign that.
Me too!

BTW, a kosher bird has already been the equivalent of "brined." Which is probably why although kosher beef is usually rated somewhat lower than non-kosher by professional tasters, kosher chicken and turkey usually ranks higher than its non-kosher counterparts.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.