FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your First D&D Character (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Your First D&D Character
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
I am willing to bet that most of us who play RPGs remember our first D&D character (or, if not D&D, our first RPG character).

My first character was actually two, Malem and Ammel, twin Half-Orc fighters. They carried half the weapons list with them despite the fact that I had no idea what most of the weapons were (Bec de Corbin? Sounds good, I'll take two.). I was eight years old.

Malem and Ammel were the sons of an orc and a human female, and when they were very young, they left their home to live with their orc relatives, driven out by the village. They never forgot their human nature, however, and after their father was killed by the orc chief, they fled to the human frontier and sought their fortune as mercenaries.

I actually rolled a halfling fighter named Hagar first, but my ability scores were terrible, and I rerolled, coming up with Malem and Ammel.

So what about you?

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even remember the name of my first 5 or 6 characters. They were almost all illusionists though. Like you, I was pre-teen--8 or 9, I think.

My brother was the DM, and didn't want me playing with him, so he kept killing off my characters. My parents made him include me, though, so I basically just created the same character over and over. I remember being awed by the complexity of his dungeons and plotlines. I'd love to find his old notebooks and see if they still seemed good, or if it was just me being a kid that made it seem that way.

[ November 17, 2004, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
My first character ever was Theran Lightblade, a human paladin -- at a time, of course, when there was no other kind. *laugh* I was eight, too.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
My first was a dumb jock fighter with a big sword.

My most recent is also a dumb jock fighter, but this one is cool. [Smile]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My first character was an elf wizard with magic, little fighting ability, and a shocking lack of languages. [Wink]

[ November 17, 2004, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine was Morgan, a NG Theif. I still have him, he is around 18th or 20th level now. He hasn't been played in 20 years, except as a video game character once and a while... [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
NG?

edit: I figured it out -- Neutral Good.

I was trying to figure out what race NG was.

[ November 17, 2004, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I was in fifth grade, and I started with the Basic set, so all the non-human races were just a way to have multi-class characters.

I think I started with an elf, but it was a long time ago.

The first one I really remember was Kalmegil, swashbuckler extrordinaire. The name is derived from Sindarin and means shining blade.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine was an elf in the basic D&D campaign, too, Dag!

Don't remember his name. 4th grade.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, my second was a half-elven Ranger, I think.

Later on I had quite a few Wizards, and got pretty good at playing them.

But Morgan was my first character, adn I always came back to him, fro the frist 3 or 4 years anyway.

I was playing with a Palidin, and I was fairly religious back then, so I didn't want to play an evil character, adn in the context of our campaigns it wouldn't have worked, so MNoran was more of an Indiana Jones type of theif, disarming traps in an adventure setting rather than a Master theif or catburgerler.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

My longest running character was a half elf magic user/thief named Ander (a name which seemed terribly original to me when I created him, something that now seems puzzling to me). I played him for about a decade, playing more weekends than not for probably 6 of those years. He was a lot of fun to play. He developed an interest in zoology, and worked up quite a few manuscripts detailing the gross anatomy of many fantasy creatures, bred his own race of giant spiders, and created tons of new spells and magical devices.

hollow glass sling bullets filled with green slime were among his inventions, but they're one of those things that seem like a much better idea in theory than they do when your character is carrying a pouch full of them, and is jouncing around on horseback.

[ November 17, 2004, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember my characters from my early RPG days very well at all. Back then we mostly didn't play using actual gaming systems. One of the counselors at the day care place I went to after school and during the summer--he was in high school, I think 16 years old--did these free-form games with my brother, two of my friends, and me. He was one of the most imaginitive GMs I've ever had (although, in fairness, stuff may have seemed cooler because I was like 8). I don't remember my characters very well, instead I remember the elements of his games, the magic swords (he had the coolest names and stories for all of his magic swords) and pet dragons from the fantasy games, the intelligent computers and space armadas from his SF games. We just called them "Mind Games." My gaming friends and I did those free-form style games all the way through high school.

Come to think of it, I must have done some D&D before the Mind Games, because one of my earlier Mind Game characters was a halfling paladin, and I remember thinking it was really cool that I could be a halfling paladin because D&D didn't let you do that.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EarlNMeyer-Flask
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for EarlNMeyer-Flask           Edit/Delete Post 
My first was just some random fighter with mediocre stats.
Posts: 338 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
My first real use of the D&D system was in the SSI Gold Box games. I had this weird habit of making these same two characters for every party I created — two dwarves named Dorfus Major and Dorfus Minor.

[runs off to remake them in TOEE]

[ November 17, 2004, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: A Rat Named Dog ]

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
My first D&D character was Allia, a CN human wizard. She is a real pyro, she'll throw a fireball even at the risk of toasting party members (I got to find out how a fireball works in a tunnel [Evil Laugh] ). She's currently level 6 (it's a slow campaign), and it's amazing she's still alive. Probably because of the intervention of a god-knows-how-many-levels-wizard, who has me marked to use as his next body. [Angst] Oh, and she's really obsessive about her belongings. She has a chest that's all wizard locked and fire trapped, no one's getting in there. [Wink]

On the other hand, my brother is about to lose his third character for this campaign. The first got hog-tied, stripped naked, and portalled back to town by his party members. The second got himself turned into a genie, and is now locked in a bottle on a shelf in the wizard school. And the third is halfway to being turned into a vampire. [Roll Eyes]

(edit: stripped naked, THEN hog-tied, and portalled back to town...after I looted all his items [Wink] )

[ November 17, 2004, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't you have to strip him naked before you hog-tied him? It would be pretty hard to do otherwise.

*point of curiousity

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
My first was a half-elf Bard with LOTS of languages and a tendancy to do weird stuff with spells
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

not if they cut the clothes off of him.
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Geoff, you are still playing TOEE? Sweet. I really hope that once Vampire is fully out of the way, Troika gets to make some more DnD games, but it ain't looking good.

I've only played the PC games, starting with Baldur's Gate, but I had some great characters. I'm currently working through TOEE with characters based on the guys in Slash's campaign at Sakeriver.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
No, actually, I didn't really enjoy TOEE that much [Smile] But I could see the craftsmanship that went into it, and am still really looking forward to upgrading my hardware so I can fully experience the glory of Vampire: Bloodlines. (It got its first couple of reviews today, by the way — four stars and raves at GameSpy.)

Personally, I'd much rather see Troika move on to their semi-disclosed post-apocalyptic project than any D&D license ...

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe mine was a minor jedi in the West End Games Star Wars RPG. 4th grade. All I remember is a battle on a structure over a huge cliff. I was convinced that our target was hiding in a building this side of the cliff and I rammed might lightsaber into it... the result was rather interesting to say the least *cough* [Big Grin]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Troika has the Fallout license, right? Or rather, Interplay has it and may have an unholy alliance with their former employees?

[ November 17, 2004, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: TheTick ]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd describe my first character, but I'm sure Tom would have way more fun doing it. [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
*extremely small voice*

Will someone explain "Dungeons and Dragons"? I really don't have a clue exactly what it is.

*cowers*

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's like playing cops and robbers, only you sit still at a table and roll dice so the other guys can't yell "missed me" all the time.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Plus you can have a small, stuffed tiger trail you around. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Jack Chick explains it very well.
*snigger*

[ November 17, 2004, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Yeah, I "forgot" to mention the mandatory player death and initiation into the dark arts. We generally don't tell people about that until they're second level.
Teshi
Member # 5024

Gah!

I give up. It's some sort of role-playing-game where poeple have characters of various magical capabilities and there's a dice involved.

Oh, and something about a stuffed tiger and the dark arts.

EDIT: And everyone's played it but me.

[ November 17, 2004, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember my first ten jillion characters. In fact, I only remember a handful of them -- the ones who distinguished themselves by being interesting.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Gotta have a stuffed tiger.

Hobbes [Smile]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Teshi, D&D is a role playing game, in which the participants each play a character that they have created. The person who is in charge of the game is referred to as the "Dungeon Master", or "DM". DMs do not themselves play a character in the game. Rather, they act as the narrator, creating the world in which the player's characters exist.

Does that help?

If you'd like to take a look at an example of a very good play by email game of D&D, Slash has one that he's been running for over a year. Here is a link to the archive that contains the earliest turn digests. Start at the bottom and work your way up. When you've read all the links on the page, use the "Select Other Month" picker to advance to the next month.

It's a really fun game, if you're imaginative and a bit of a geek.

[ November 17, 2004, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Hey! You gave after I started my reply, but before I had time to finish it! That's hardly fair!
Teshi
Member # 5024

Thank you Noemon for your concise explanation that did not contain any dark arts or stuffed tigers.

*glares at Hobbes and TomDavidson.*

[Wink]

Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Dungeons and Dragons overview.
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] Glad to help. I hate it when I honestly want to know the answer to a question and no one will give me a straight answer. Not that I'm above coming up with all sorts of funny answers too, of course.
ephealy
Member # 2219

- posted      Profile for ephealy   Email ephealy         Edit/Delete Post 
I got kindof lazy on my first character. In the Red Box Basic Set for D&D, there was an introductory adventure starring a human fighter. I just used him for a long time. My mother was DM, until I got some of the guys in my class involved. We'd watch Hulk Hogan et al beat eachother up, pop in some Black Sabbath, and play some D&D. It was a great time. I can't believe that was so long ago (20+ years).
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
My first D&D character was a hobbit thief with a chaotic/neutral character. He experienced rapid advancement on his first adventure when (having passed a note to the dungeon master) he ran away from the rest of the group with all of the loot they'd gotten. They had been foolish enough to entrust him with it. [Wink]

What I didn't know is that the dungeon master gave me only a one out of eight chance of pulling my heist off. He barely made it out of the dungeon alive going solo.

Eventually, he got killed in an adventure I think I blocked out of my mind. Too painful to recall. [Frown]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
My first was Mustang Gambit, a Lawful Fighter, I believe he was crushed by that classic trap the rounded boulder. Then it was Archigracien Saxon a Paladin that fell into a King Arthur type of imperfect King, he died of old age...

Of course like all D&D players I was slowly indoctrinated into devil worship and occult ritual and I use the powers I have gained to steal dice and miniatures.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Troika has the Fallout license, right? Or rather, Interplay has it and may have an unholy alliance with their former employees?
Actually, Bethesda Softworks (makers of The Elder Scrolls series and the upcoming Call of Chtulhu game) bought the Fallout license from Interplay just as the latter was gulping down its last dying breath. Leonard Boyarsky of Troika has expressed that he wished he had the Fallout license (since most of the key creative staff from Fallout currently works at Troika), but c'est la vie. The Fallout fan community is still solidly behind just about everything Troika does, and clings to the hope that Troika's next project will be a spiritual successor to Fallout.
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

You are right, I remember hearing about that. Heck, and I've been checking the Bethesda jobs page and seeing references to it. [Roll Eyes]
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
My first D&D character was a elven thief named Shion. She didn't get much play as the group I made her for broke up soon after. My first real campaign character would have to be Alystii, a dark elf fighter. She was a bit of a Drizzt clone but soon developed her own personality. My current D&D character is an elven thief/mage by the name of Reshana, she's great fun to play. I was amazed at how well the two classes complement each other.

My all time favorite and longest played character would have to be Misha McBride, a dhampir mechwarrior from a hybrid White Wolf/Battletech game.

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

quote:
a hybrid White Wolf/Battletech game
??

????

!!

Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
It's easier than it sounds. Battletech is based on the expasion of the human race in the year 3050 (give or take 100 years). One can assume that vampires and werewolves and things would still exist, so we can plausibly integrate White Wolf into it. Both games are rather gritty so they meld together quite nicely.

The actual system is pretty easy also. Battletech is primarily a tabletop game, so you simply write up a character using the White Wolf system, use those stats for the roleplaying parts and use Battletech sheets when you want to have a tabletop battle.

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

That sounds pretty awesome.
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who played a Druid character?

to quote mack--

0_o

Okay, sure, Druids have virtually no power, but they loved the fuzzy critters of the woods and hugged trees. I'm such a tree-hugger. *le sigh*

I only played D&D to draw the pictures and meet guys anyway. How pitiful is that?

Later on, a very "Monty Hall" DM friend caused my Druid to die and be resurrected....as a Drow. A Drow Druid. It was fun AND confusing. I had to constantly roll dice for motive or something.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I've played one druid. He was fairly fogettable, really. I played him as an adult, but I can't remember a thing about him, other than that I didn't play him for very long.
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
My first character was a rogue/warrior who was rather clumsy and stupid.

She nearly died multiple times and shot a baby.

I'm sure Tom, Kat and Hobbes could go into detail. [Big Grin]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'm playing my first fighter type, a horribly disfigured mongolesque barbarian, in FlyingCow's current PBEM campaign. I'm having a lot of fun playing a character so different from those I usually play.
Hobbes
Member # 433

MD, I was paying too much attention to phrasing everything I wanted to do in the passive voice to notice anyone else's character, well that and, you know, blending in with the other 6'5", pale thieves. [Cool]

I still like hearing Tom describe my character, he was may more into it than I was, only the other end of enjoyment abaout it...

Hobbes [Smile]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.