FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Crossword Stumper

Author Topic: Crossword Stumper
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to finish the crossword before I go home, but I've got two empties. If anyone is interested:

11 down: Folger's Mrs.
10 across: Coal scuttles
26 across: Chic

....H_DS
......L
......S
......E
TRE_DE

What the heck is a coal scuttle anyway? And why would I know the wife of the coffee guy? Who writes this stuff?

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
You could cheat and go to oneacross.com They let you search with blanks in the word. My roommate and I use it when we're really stumped and want the prize.

26 Across - chic Could that be "trendy"? Check the word that gives you that final E.

[ November 17, 2004, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
26 across = trendy
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't Read if you don't want 'em...

11 Down "Olsen"
26 Across "Trendy" your "e" is likely wrong

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
coal scuttle

n : container for coal; shaped to permit pouring the coal onto the fire [syn: scuttle]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Coal Scuttles is "hods". A coal scuttle is a bucket for holding coal, a hod is a bucket with a handle for carrying coal.
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks EL, kat, and Jim-Me. There's just something about those blanks that buggs me.

Thanks for the site, EL. I'll have to try that sometime.

Belated thanks to Teshi and I3. They use that clue a lot but I always get a different answer. [Blushing]

[ November 17, 2004, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: AvidReader ]

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
And Mrs. Olsen was a long-running character in Folger's television advertisements.
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.