FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone know anything about Tegretol? (updated for unclehood)

Author Topic: Anyone know anything about Tegretol? (updated for unclehood)
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
My sister is taking Tegretol for bipolar affective disorder (it's more commonly used for epilepsy and seizures).

She recently found out she's pregnant. I've read up on the increased risk of neural tube defects from using the drug (increases the risk to about 1% from .1%--possibly from the drug itself, possibly from the symptom it's treating), and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with other drugs for treating bipolar affective disorder.

On a lighter note, I'm going to be a new uncle twice in the same year. [Big Grin] Well, I guess only a new uncle the first one...whatever. Both my little sisters are growing up. Wonder when it'll be my turn. [Razz]

[ July 08, 2005, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Frisco ]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend who is bi-polar hashed it all out with her doctor before she got pregnant. Certian meds she went off of, for a while, during critical development phases. Yeah, it wasn't as good for her mental heath, but in the long run it was better for her baby.

I believe she went off several of them as soon as she found out she was pregnant, and then started phasing some of them back in during the second trimester, after a lot of the critical organ developments had occured.

Though the question really is how stable is she off her meds. If the meds are absolutely crucial to her continued survival, then the stakes are much higher. She really needs to discuss it in depth with her doctor.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Frisco, congrats on the unclehood! [Smile]

I have no experience with the teratogenicity of Tegretol, as that isn't much of an issue in pediatrics. Maybe Theca could help?

AJ's advice is really sound. She needs to have a long discussion with her physician. I'd also recommend making sure she gets the recommended amount of folic acid for a pregnant woman (another cause of neural tube defects), especially a concern if she can't hold down prenatal vitamins. Other than that, I'd be guessing.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Tegratol is definitely something she might not want to be on during a pregnancy; it causes reproductive problems in women who aren't pregnant (it's been linked to PCOD), and does increase the risk of neural tube and other defects, at least last I heard. She really needs to talk to her doctor and see if she can change meds for a little while. Also, if she's on other meds, she needs to discuss them as well-- especially lithium, which can cause cleft palates and spina bifida.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

She obviously needs to talk to her doctor again, but I'm just looking around at other opinions, since her doctor advised her to really consider getting an abortion because of the serious risk of spina bifida.

And Tegretol is the only meds she's on, so if there's a possibility of another drug having a chance to do the same job with less harm to the fetus, it's something she should look into.

Thing is, the Tegretol messed up her cycle so much (it also supposedly makes you less fertile, heh), that she may be mostly through the first trimester, which is where most of the damage from Tegretol, if there is any, is done.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa. She got pregnant unexpectedly? I thought that all young women on Tegretol were supposed to be on some form of birth control, even if they weren't sexually active. And it may decrease the effectiveness of the BC pill, so if the woman was on the pill, she had to use a second form of contraceptive.

That was, like, drilled into me with a 2 by 4. We had to document this in the chart for liability protection.

[ November 18, 2004, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Eddie, there's a whole laundry list of meds that can be effective with bipolar disorder. Tegretol is one of the antiseizure meds (as you know). More of those are depakote, topamax, trileptal (another form of tegretol, causes less problems with the liver), gabitril. Lamictal, another antiseizure, was actually approved for bipolar therapy last year. Lithium is the gold standard. Also used can be the atypical antipsychotics: zyprexa, risperdol, abilify, seroquel, geodone.

I'm sure there's more.

So...yeah. Talking to her doc is good. [Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

She was on the shot. I suspect that the Tegretol bumped up those 1/1000 odds.
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Poor thing. [Frown] Hard choices.
Frisco
Member # 3765

Nah, I'm sure the doctor will make the right choice for her and the baby...I'm just a little overprotective. [Razz]
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh -- she should *not* have been on the shot. If she's planning on going back on birth control post-pregnancy, tell her to do a *lot* of research on Depo-Provera...although it won't take her much to realize how much it completely screws you up. I've read absolute horror stories, and mines not much better -- no shot! Shot bad!
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I took Tegretol every day in high school because of a seizure disorder that, thankfully, I outgrew.

Of course, I wasn't in much danger of getting pregnant since I was 1) a virgin and 2) male.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd think male would be the first reason. [Wink]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I never said those reasons were in order. [Smile]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

But they had NUMBERS!
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Tegretol is classified as Pregnancy Category D. This is bad. As you have mentioned, there is a definite risk to the fetus. The good news is that this risk is lower in patients taking only one drug (Tegretol) as compared to patients on combination therapy of multiple anti-epilepsy medications.

There have been women that have carried to term a healthy baby while taking Tegretol, however, I would encourage your sister to have that frequently mentioned talk (as mentioned above several times) with her doctors, for 2 very important reasons:

1. This use of Tegretol is off-label, meaning that it is not indicated for this use by the FDA. This is not always a bad thing. Countless drugs are used off-label for many different conditions or illnesses, but in this case, I would encourage her doctor who prescribed this for bi-polar disorder to find a more appropriate med that is safer during pregnancy, or to have your sister abstain altogether if at all possible while pregnant and nursing. But these are life-altering decisions that should be made by the patient and doctor. There is no easy answer.

2. Although you mentioned the damage has already been done, there are other secondary problems other than spina bifida that medication can cause to an unborn child. The sooner she changes medications, I believe, the better her chances for not damaging her baby.

P.S. Drugs are classified by the FDA as B,C,D, and X. No drug is safe during pregnancy, because drugs are all poisonous in the wrong dosage. Most safe drugs are classified as B, like Tylenol. Class C drugs have not been well studied and cannot be indicated as safe or harmful, and studies are impossible to conduct for ethical reasons and other reasons. Drugs that are class D are known to be harmful and should be avoided, and drugs that are X are contraindicated and should never be used during pregnancy, such as thalidomide.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

You make a convincing case, mack.
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
I second her not getting back on the shot. While I realize that it doesn't cause bipolar, I imagine it could easily make the symptoms a lot worse. I was on the shot for a short while after using the pill, to prevent ovulation not just pregnancy.

I went off of it for other reasons, but I had no idea how much it really had effected me until I did stop it. She's pregnant now, so she won't see the effects of getting off until perhaps even after she stops nursing. A lot of women like it, but for quite a few women it causes severe depression.

Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Thanks for the advice, everyone. [Smile] Hatrack rocks.

And I wish she could take lithium, mack, but she has thyroid problems already. [Grumble]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
She shouldn't be on lithium during pregnancy either, even if she didn't. Just in case anyone else in the same situation ever reads this.

If she may be past the first trimester, I think she should consider an amnio. There are all kinds of things that can go wrong from Tegretol besides those detectable by sonogram. Just make sure that it's by someone experienced in amnio, because if it's not, that ups the risk of miscarriage in itself. Even if she's committed to having the baby (as in, she doesn't want an abortion), she should have an amnio so she can be prepared. She may end up deciding that a special needs kid is too much while she's trying to keep her MD under control; she could consider adoption in that case. A genetic counselor could help her explore her options and know what to expect if the amnio comes back positive for any chromosomal abnormality, or if the sonogram shows an abnormality. I hope, of course, that all tests come back normal and she and her baby are healthy and happy, and her MD stays under control post-partum. Best wishes to her, you, and the whole family.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I actually take Lamictal, which does wonders for the depression phase.

I hope she finds something that works.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Ketchup Queen I'm thinking by MD you meant Manic Depression, not the traditional meaning? I admit for a while I was trying to figure out why her doctor (MD) was going so out of control...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Caleb Peter was born at 10:47 this morning, perfect in every way. Has these long, long, long fingers and toes. Gonna be a hit with the ladies. [Wink]

21 and 1/4 in., 7lbs 5oz.

Sis is doing great, too. Went this whole time with no drugs at all, as it turned out. Well, until the epidural. She looooved that. Made my job of holding her leg a whole lot easier. No stitches or nothin', the lucky wench. Oughta be walking around by evening. [Razz]

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, congrats to you and your sis, Frisco! [Smile]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! *claps*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I had freakishly long fingers as a newborn, but now they are unusually short, at age 30.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Eddie! [Cool]

We need pictures. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

They're being developed. [Smile]

I'll load them when I get up from my nap...I've been in the delivery room since 1am. [Sleep]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! You got to be in there with her as brother? That is so cool! Is this the first birth you've witnessed first hand, Frisco?

quote:
Has these long, long, long fingers and toes. Gonna be a hit with the ladies.
See how different our minds are? You thought of long fingers as being a hit with the ladies. I read 'long fingers' and think "could be a great pianist". LOL

Congratulations Uncle Eddie!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

quote:
Wow! You got to be in there with her as brother? That is so cool! Is this the first birth you've witnessed first hand, Frisco?

Yeah, we're really close. And it was my first. It was cool.

quote:
You thought of long fingers as being a hit with the ladies. I read 'long fingers' and think "could be a great pianist".
Well, he's my nephew, and I can't play the piano to save my life. [Razz]

Here's the little gnome. He has dark, dark hair under that silly hat.

And like most babies, he wasn't thrilled at being out.

mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Frisco! I never saw this thread the first time.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
He's adorable. [Smile] Congrats, Eddie! And congrats to your family as well.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Congratulations! I'm so glad he's healthy!

I just noticed this:

quote:
I thought that all young women on Tegretol were supposed to be on some form of birth control, even if they weren't sexually active.
NONE of the friends I knew who took Tegretol were ever told this. And some of them were sexually active, but were not on birth control. I refused to take it because my cycle was messed up already and I personally knew so many people who got PCOS after taking it, but in the discussion in which I made this clear, birth control was never mentioned. :|
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!! I am glad everything turned out so well.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Eddie you said uncle twice in a year is this the first one or the second one? Congrats anyway, hopefully (for all the little girls out there) he'll grow up to look just like you.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
What a cute baby. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
That is so awesome that everything turned out okay.

Congrats to you and to the Mom. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Thanks, all. This is the second one...the first was in March and she's beautiful.

And while there's an off chance Caleb will have some of my features, his mom's my half-sister...and he already looks like his dad.

But if I have anything to do about it, he'll be as frisky, feisty, and ornery as I am. [Evil Laugh]

Lock up your daughters, lock up your wives. Lock up your front door and run for your lives.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.