FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gogol Bordello; Best Band in the World?

Author Topic: Gogol Bordello; Best Band in the World?
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
I just discovered quite by accident the coolest band in the world. I was seeing a local band in Cleveland that was opening for this group described as "Russian Gypsy Punk." The opening band had people I liked so that was my draw but I figured I would stay for the actual headliner just for fun. Oh my stars and garters! I haven't had so much fun at a concert in looong while. They are actually Ukranian by birth and gypsies by trade. The closest example that seems fair to both is they have done with traditional eastern european sounds what the Pogues or the Black 47's did for Irish music. It was the liveliest stuff that mixed the traditional fiddle and accordian and oddly dressed bandmates with the electric and over the top punk shenanagins. Wow. I am just curious if anyone on here had encountered these guys. They are based out NYC but their tour takes them from one coast to the other and a lot in between.

Go see them.

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.