FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Yet Another Reason to Eat Chocolate

Author Topic: Yet Another Reason to Eat Chocolate
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Persistant Coughs Melt Away With Chocolate

And the study wasn't even paid for by some chocolatiers' association! [Smile]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
*has been coughing all day*

*likes remedy*

*wanders off to search in kitchen*

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
::cough:: chocolate!! ::cough::
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I don't have a cough, which I attribute to the fact that I'm slowly making my way through a bar of Chocovic Guaranda.

The sacrifices I make for my health...

[ November 22, 2004, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Bless you Andes mints.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Who in their right mind, would volunteer to ingest capsaicin? Isn't that the primary ingredient in pepper sray?
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you need a reason to eat chocolate? [Confused]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
So you could eat more! Duh! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I want chocolate...
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Some of my favorite foods include capsaicin.

Now inhaling capsaicin gas, that doesn't sound like much fun. I might do it though, depending on the quality of chocolate they'd give me. For, say, five Dagoba bars (or whatever that brand is called), I'd probably be willing to take a snort of the stuff.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
If you noticed, the subjects inhaled capsaicin (probably vapor) until they coughed. Subjects who were given the chocolate derivative required more capsaicin before they coughed. So they were increasing the dosage until they reached a threshold, rather than walloping them with pepper spray.

I'd be really interested in this therapy, since I have a chronic cough that comes on about every September and runs through December. I have been known to throw my back out by coughing. So far the only thing that has had any affect on it has been codeine, which, as they point out, is really annoying over long periods.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Does this mean that the FDA is going to reclassify chocolate as a drug and require us to get a prescription to get it? [Wink] [Eek!] [Angst] [Angst] [Wink]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
*drools*

The current contents of my chocolate stash:

Chocovic Ocumare

Chocovic Guaranda

Michel Cluizel Tamarina

But I'm running low! What am I going to do? [Eek!]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Buy more chocolate, of course. Which do you prefer, the Ocumare or the Guaranda?
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad went to Switzerland and sent me chocolate. Shuffhousen cobblestones -- Little squares of chocolate with little toffee bits mixed in.

I love my daddy. [Cry] [Smile] [Cry]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
*has no chocolate*
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother just sent me my advent calendar for the year. Now, the question is, do I have the willpower to wait for December, and portion out the chocolate one day at a time? Or will I succumb and scarfle it all in one go? Stay tuned...
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm betting on scarfing. 'Cause you're weak, weak!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
But at least I can spell 'scarfle.'
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Which isn't a work I'm familiar with. Neither is dictionary.com. ?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cecily
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for Cecily           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of scarfing, I am enjoying the most generic and delectable chocolate covered peanuts as I type...and my keyboard is a little worse for wear I suppose. [Smile]
Posts: 75 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
You Thanksgiving is this week and the traditional thanksgiving feast includes an array of foods that are native to the Americas -- prepared following European (English) tradition. The native American foods that seem glaringly missing from the traditional menu are chocolate and chilli's.

Of course, if you make mole' with the left overs, this resolves the problem but mole' is not a European style dish and this is leftovers not the big meal.

So, what is the best way to incorporate chocolate and chilli peppers into the thanksgiving meal?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Stuff 'em in the turkey!

*grin*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Some possibilities:
Chocolate Chipotle Cakes (ooh, those sound good!)
Chocolate Pepper Cookies (calls for black pepper, but chiles (a smaller amount!) should substitute well)
Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream (see the suggested additions in the second comment)
Aztec Torte

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, one year my cousin-in-law grilled a turkey (the whole thing!) using a lime and chile sauce/marinade. It was delicious~! And very Thanksgivingy. Of course, I grew up in the Southwest, so my taste buds are slightly skewed. [Smile]
Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

quote:
Buy more chocolate, of course. Which do you prefer, the Ocumare or the Guaranda?
Hmm, I see a trip to Trader Joe's in the near future.

I think I'm slightly more partial to the Guaranda. It's a somewhat lighter flavor, but still complex enough to be interesting. I'm also a big fan of Valrhona Noir Amer 71%, which is very similar to the Guaranda, but a little more substantial. I can't quite describe the Tamarina; all I can say is... mmmmmmm. (Though I tried the regular Michel Cluizel Noir de Cacao and Grand Noir and wasn't particularly impressed.) Only problem is I'll have to mail order to get more of the 1ers Crus; I bought the bar I have in Montreal.

Honorable mention: Scharffen Berger Bittersweet 70%

*is a chocolate snob*

So Neomom ( [Wink] ), what's your favorite?

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Who in their right mind, would volunteer to ingest capsaicin? Isn't that the primary ingredient in pepper sray?
Yes, but it's also the active ingredient in chili peppers. I'm quite fond of the stuff, myself. I love eating foods that contain capsaicin.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

In the article where is says “We gave them the equivalent of about two cups of cocoa,” do you think they meant 2 cups of hot chocolate or 2 cups of cocoa powder?
Mike
Member # 55

*scarfs down a couple cups of cocoa powder*

*coughs*

It didn't work! [Eek!]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

OK, I now have a definitive answer on dosage.

From the full scientific article, I found that the dose studied was 1000 mg (1 g) of theobromine.

From the web site for the International Cocoa Organization, cocoa contains between 1.89% and 2.69% theobromine. Which means that you would need 50 g of Cocoa or about 1/2 cup for effective cough treatment.

You could also drink 3 liters of the average powdered chocolate drink or eat 100 grams of a 70% cocoa chocolate bar.

1 bar of Cote d'Or Noir Noir -- better than codeine.

[ November 23, 2004, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I have obviously been playing too much Final Fantasy VIII, because I saw this thread's title out of the corner of my eye and thought it said "Yet Another Reason to Eat Chocobos". Mmm... tastes like chicken!

Back to the topic at hand. I had a craving for chocolate the other day, but had no money on hand. A quick ingredient search on allrecipes.com turned up this cake, which would have been great if it had baked properly. I left it in the oven about ten minutes longer than they said, and it still came out very uncooked in the middle. *sighs* Guess I need to calibrate my oven again.

I have yet to eat a Dagoba bar, or any other type of speciality chocolate. I am deprived (and, quite possibly, depraved). I will have to buy a bar or three the next time I have a little extra money.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

Dagoba, by the way, is good but not spectacular.

I'm not really a fan of Cote d'Or and a couple of other bars of chocolate I bought in Montreal. Whose names escape me.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmm, I see a trip to Trader Joe's in the near future.
I'm fondly remembering the three-foot box of truffles my husband bought me when we were dating. : )
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
I'm not really a fan of Cote d'Or
Blasphemy!!!

Do you also disdain Callebaut and Galler?

Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolate = medicine?
Can't argue with that logic. [Smile]
I can just see the uproar now. Children everywhere saying "But moooom, I have to have the chocolate before dinner or I won't be able to stop coughing!"
Those rascals.

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.