FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I need help.

Author Topic: I need help.
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I need some ideas for a good first date. That's right. A thirty tear old asking for dating advice. Who's pathetic now? Anyway, I wanted to come up with something fun and original (ie; not dinner and a movie) but also something that's casual enough for a first date and doesn't smack TOO much of romance. I'm really good at planning dates for a little later in a relationship, but the first one always seems to throw me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks hatrack, you rock.
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Where are you geographically? Because a picnic is nice . . . if you're not somewhere it is currently freezing/snowing/raining.

'Course, it's November. There aren't many places that it's nice out right now. Even here in sunny SoCal it's been cold. (Well, cold for US, anyway.)

But if there's a place you could do an indoor picnic . . . ? Dunno, maybe if a mall near you has some of the little courtyards with seats and stuff?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
BOWLING!

It's an especially good date if neither of you know a thing about how to bowl correctly. [Wink]

Trust me on this.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
Oklahoma. Weather's been kind of nasty around here lately. Good idea though.
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

I thought about bowling. That's not too corny? On the upside, I am a really terrible bowler.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with katharina. If I were ever to go on a date bowling would be very fun. It promotes conversation.

Javert, you are katharina, right?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, the thing about a dinner is that it doesn't throw anyone off track. You can talk freely, everybody knows what the rules are, there's no guessing games. You invite someone to dinner, it's a friendly expression of interest; invite someone to go bungee jumping, or whatever creativeness you can come up with, and it's an invitation to consider you a whacko. Dinner and a movie is a cliche because it works.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

Um, no, I'm Javert... [Grumble] ...I'm male and my name doesn't start with a K.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I like first dates where you can talk and get to know the person...as that is the point of dating [Smile]

Possible ideas:
Play pool
Bowling (already said, but I third the motion)
Mini Golfing
Amusement Park- Any nearby?

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Find a neat, off-beat diner or cafe that is interesting and can provide conversation topics if social interactions stall.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(kat's alternate SN is Javert Hugo.)

I still like the idea of an indoor picnic. Here's a list. Having checked your profile (d'oh!), and consulted yahoo maps, I believe some are near you, WA.

[ November 22, 2004, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

That's right, I remember...she stole my name.

*goes off to file a police report*

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Coccinelle; miniature golf is good for first dates. If your miniature golf courses are like the ones around here, you'll pick up some good landscaping ideas too. Afterward you could take your date to the garden store and buy some mulch.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's an especially good date if neither of you know a thing about how to bowl correctly.
So it was a mistake for me to take that girl bowling and then manage a score of 205 on the first game?
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
If the weather isn't bad a picnic coupled with some kite flying is an entertaining and innocuous event. I'd also suggest lunch with an outing to a museum or zoo or somesuch.

[ November 22, 2004, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Zoos are a bit risky for a first date, especially if the baboons are in heat.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Um, no, I'm Javert... ...I'm male and my name doesn't start with a K
Oh I'm sorry, Javert, the mistake will not be made again [Smile] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's put it this way, skillery: if I had been drinking soda, my laptop would be very sticky right now.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Where in Oklahoma? 'Cause I might be able to give you some specific advice, seeing as how I know the area and all... [Wink]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

Oklahoma City. Yay.
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
OKC sucks. Tulsa's a much nicer city. My official advice is to consider moving before you get too attached to anyone there. [Big Grin]

j/k

Here's what I suggest. Or, pick something else off this list.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooh picnic!!!! I wouldn't mind if my hubby took me on a picnic! I love picnics! And if we could have one near that park where the elephants are all working elephants and we could watch them, that would be soooo coool!!!! [Kiss]

Now to get hubby onto this forum and read this thread. . . [Angst]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
It's fun resturant "hopping"...

One resturant for appetizers,
One for main course
One for dessert.

Have her pick one, have you pick one and mutally pick the dessert place [Smile]

(or something like that...)

[ November 23, 2004, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Jaiden ]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

Thanks. You're right. Tulsa is much better.

So which one of these do you suggest?

quote:
Description:
Holidays are often the “most difficult of all” following the loss of a loved one, especially the first year after their loss. It is normal to have anxiety and fears about a time that is seen as a time of joy. Join us for a 3-week series on ways to deal with the changes you face through the Christmas holidays.

Description:
The monthly meeting of the Edmond Chapter of the National Association of Retired Federal Employees (NARFE) will be held Tuesday, November 23, 2004 beginning at 11:00 AM in the Gaylord University Center, Oklahoma Christian University, 2901 E. Memorial Road.

Description:
The Institute of Divine Metaphysical Research (IDMR) will present "Search No More! Know The Truth About Religion." 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Sundays and 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays from November 1 through November 30, 2004 at 3088 Portland Avenue (Will Rogers Plaza). All lectures are open to the public. Please join us. Admission is always free!

[ROFL]
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a dating expert. I have been on a total of three dates, none of which were planned by me. But I think it never hurts to find out what the other person is interested in. Does she like, say, Mexican food? Take her to an appropriate restaurant. Professional sports? Movies? Plays? Go to one of those events. Is she into stargazing/astronomy? Wait until the next meteor shower, or just find a place where you can see the sky clearly. Does she enjoy video games? Invite her over for some Halo 2 (if she feels comfortable with non-public places).

Other things:
Do a community service event
Play chess
Wander around a bookstore or library
Get ice cream or hot drinks
Study party! (Maybe it's just the engineer in me, but I like to know that a potential partner is proficient in basic math and science...sadly enough, I find problem-solving abilities attractive)
Go dancing. To get away from cliches, you could avoid the clubs and take lessons somewhere.
Find one of those places that lets you paint pre-made pottery.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Shigosei, have you been on a Powell's date? It sounds like it. [Smile] I have, and they're wonderfully fun.

PS I know where to find all of those things that you just mentioned above here in Portland...too bad I don't have much opportunity for planning dates.

[ November 23, 2004, 02:05 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I second playing pool...I took my dad to an upscale pool hall around here and he was amazed at the number of women playing pool there, either whiole tables of them or on dates.

It is fun, is an indoor activity, and almost anyone can play a little bit.

Also, just because you aren't good at something doesn't mean it is a bad idea for a date....bowling or pool, or anything else for that matter. It isn't a compitition, usually, the point is to get together and talk, and to get to know one another better.

I am a very good pool player...so before I was married, I rrarely took any dates to a pool hall, because it wouldn't be very fun for either of us. I would be bored, because I couldn't play fuul speed, and she would be bored becasue she still wouldn'tr usuall win, even if I was holding back a bit. Somethines the girls I dated were very competitive types, and they would get mad at me for letting them win a few.

So take her to something you like, but aren't all that good at...you will enjoy it more, probably.

Good luck!

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Salsa dancing. [Smile]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.