FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 200 years from now...

Author Topic: 200 years from now...
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
..what from our day and age is going to be turned into myths/legends? What stories are going to passed on through the generations, slowly changing by word of mouth?

I don't really know but I thought some of you might.

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
That there used to be forests and blue skies.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. [Frown] I think one of the legends will be that there were large land mammals such as elephants and lions. At the rate we're going it probably won't take 200 years, though.

One thing I hope becomes myth is that children went to bed hungry.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
At the rate people are churning out children worldwide, in 200 years...jebus, I can't even imagine what the world population would be. In other words, not to be a mr. gloomy pants, but I'm thinking that that's not likely. Though, one can always hope. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Come now, Storm. Didn't you hear about how population is shrinking in Europe and everyone better have as many kids as possible before the entire human race dies out? I mean, we're in a population crisis! [ROFL]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
That people used to think blue skies and forest would go away.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, we'll still have them. That's what holgraphic simulators are for.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Humans need a good armegeddon story, whether it's religious or not.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder who'd be mythological figures, though? The legend of Jimmy Hoffa, maybe? James Dean is growing into a legend himself.

Who is the Daniel Boone, who is the Johnny Appleseed of our time?

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Elvis? [Wink] He's already achieving semi-godlike cult-figure status.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Shrek. I mean, he's got M&M's made after him. I think I saw him on a Pez dispenser, too.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The guy with the hook for a hand who keeps scaring people in their cars.

And possibly Oprah.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I think 200 years from now, our descendents will wonder how in the world we lived in such primitive circumstances. They'll think we're quaint and not particularly intelligent, certainly not as sophisticated as their generation. They'll find some of the laws we passed this year as downright silly, and wonder what we were thinking.

And they'll take up wearing bellbottoms and tie dye as a sudden fashion trend rediscovered.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Legend: We used to affect the outcome of our country through voting.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking the major cultural phenomena will become legend, but not too much more than that will become household names. Unless everyone turns out to like knowing random facts.

What do we know from 200 years ago? Napoleon. Beethoven. Thomas Jefferson. Lewis and Clark/the Louisiana Purchase. States joining the U.S. The death of Kant (okay, so maybe that one's just me).

In 200 years? I don't know.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
That people used to limit their sexual relations to a member of the opposite sex to whom they were lawfully wedded.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
What's incredible about the James Dean legend is he did with only 3 feature films, Rebel w/o a Cause, Giant and East of Eden.

I think (hope) man's bigotry and inhumanity to man will become legendary and extinct. But I'm not holding my breath.

Don't forget, these are the first media genrations--there will be terabytes of data stored about the 20th and 21st centuries (assuming the data survives), not just some dusty old books and artifacts.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm seconding the vote for Oprah.
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Country Music will be a myth.

We can hope, right?

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.