FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Applause for Shell

Author Topic: Applause for Shell
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Shell Hydrogen opened the first hydrogen dispenser at a retail gasoline station to service a fleet of six fuel cell vehicles from the General Motors Corporation. Located in northeast Washington, D.C, the station is part of a collaboration between Shell and GM to demonstrate hydrogen fuel cell vehicles and refueling infrastructure technology, an important contribution in making fuel cell vehicles an everyday reality. Shell will offer both compressed and liquid hydrogen at the Benning Road station.

quote:
“The only way the Hydrogen Economy will be realized is having not only fuel cell vehicles, but also convenient places to refuel and local communities that will support this transition to a new energy source,”

quote:
The hydrogen station is the centerpiece of a partnership between Shell and GM to develop hydrogen-fueled vehicles on a commercial scale. The companies also are working together on the U.S. Department of Energy’s Infrastructure Demonstration and Validation Project, which was announced in late April by the Secretary of Energy, Spencer Abraham.
One step in the right direction [Smile]

Edit: the URL for the article is too long, but if you really want, you can see find it at shell.com

[ November 24, 2004, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: kaioshin00 ]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Go shell!
I wonder how long until or if hydrogen powered vehicles will become common?

[ November 24, 2004, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, the question left unasked is, where do they get the hydrogen from?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
The answer that pops into my head is "Where did they get it for the Hindenburg?"

Feyd Baron, DoC

EDIT: Lofting city, not mountain.

[ November 24, 2004, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Architraz Warden ]

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh good. I was afraid I was the only one wondering how we keep the cars from blowing up.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the fro
Member # 2070

- posted      Profile for the fro   Email the fro         Edit/Delete Post 
Go shell!

Also, the reason they don't blow up is that they arn't made of canvas!

Posts: 96 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! And the hydrogen comes from water.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Bzzzt. Most of the production-level feasible hydrogen comes from... Petrochemicals! Yup, good old fashioned oil.

Someday they'll have scalable electrolysis systems, but for now, I'd wager that any significant hydrogen economy/infrastructure would be heavily based on oil.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I've done some reading into hydrogen powered cars. The dude who invented the Nickel Cadium battery (yes, he's really old) currently has a stable solid-state hydrogen cell that can be mounted in a car to provide fuel. I think it's just expensive to manufacture.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.