FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A question for the southerners

Author Topic: A question for the southerners
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
When I read Internet fora, email lists, etc., I "picture" everyone with a northern or neutral accent. It's usually a strange shift when I meet someone for real and they have (unsurprisingly) a southern accent.

So, when those of you who hail from southern states read other people's posts, do you picture southern accents or northern (for example, when you read posts by people whose background you do not know)?

The natural answer would seem to be 'southern," but TV has an all-pervasive influence on language and often is cited as the main cause of homogenization of accent in America. So I figure it may cause people to look outside their own region for generalization.

I'm just trying to learn to read minds one step at a time.

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't picture accents at all, actually - although I expected more accents when I went to Europe than what I actually heard.

Not quite the same thing.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother and I both sound like my grandma, who is from Wisconsin originally. So I always hear a slightly southern paced neutral accent, myself. Except with fun words like "Oy!" Then I hear my dad's New York accent he drags out for special occassions.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My mother and I both sound like my grandma, who is from Wisconsin originally. So I always hear a slightly southern paced neutral accent, myself. Except with fun words like "Oy!" Then I hear my dad's New York accent he drags out for special occassions.

Funny story, when I was 4 years old my mother took me to speech therapy because she thought I had a speech impediment. The therapist looked at her like she was nuts since I just had picked up her Russian accent, which she had in turn gotten from her Russian father. So we took speech therapy together to lose our accents.

What? I can hijack my own thread. [Dont Know]

Quit looking at me like that. [Grumble]

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from Missouri- currently live in Kansas- I don't think I have an accent at all. I recently lived in Minnesota for over a year. They all insisted that I had an accent when they were the ones that all talked like the people in the movie Fargo- ya you betcha [Smile]
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
No one has an accent until I hear it.

Even if they say they have one.

added: Even though I was born in/ have lived most of my life in southern states, southern accents have grated on me since I was about five. Not that it sounds bad, but it's just very obvious to me.

[ November 24, 2004, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the fro
Member # 2070

- posted      Profile for the fro   Email the fro         Edit/Delete Post 
I also don't think about accents. In fact, I don't listen to the accents of people around here. In fact... I'd go further, I don't listen to people around here. Being from alabama can be such a drag!
Posts: 96 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
AWK!!! Another Kansas person!

[Wave] Hello there! are you new?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

I've been registered since July- so where abouts in Kansas? I'm way out in here in Western Kansas- Dodge City
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm between Wichita and Hutch (work in Wichita). We have two others -- punwit and Kayla -- which are both NE Kansas (KC region). That's all the Hatrackers I know in Kansas at this time.

Farmgirl

edit:(I have gone out to Dodge to take part in the Cowboy for Kids ride for Youthville. Love that area)

[ November 24, 2004, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

We moved out to Dodge in July of 2001 and HATED it. We stayed a little over a year and moved up to Minnesota and we REALLY felt like square pegs in round holes [Frown] . We decided that Dodge wasn't so bad. I Took a transfer back to Dodge and we really like it better now. Of course we came back with better attitudes [Big Grin] . I actually just turned down a transfer back to Missouri (my son is a freshman this year I told him we would stay here until he finishes HS) After that who knows where we'll go except I never want to live north of Highway 70 again!!!! [Smile]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't usually "hear" accents when I read posts. Unless someone uses y'all to indicate a single person - then I know they're from the North somewhere.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't hear accents when I'm reading posts. Maybe I'm not that talented (yet [Smile] ).

When I went to Florida for school, people told me I had a midwest accent. I was confused. I didn't know there was even such a thing.

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Unless someone uses y'all to indicate a single person - then I know they're from the North somewhere
Hmm.., I heard that a lot when I was in Texas a couple months ago. I heard it a lot from my roommate in Virginia who was from Texas as well. I don't hear it in the north too much. Of course, in Michigan we don't really have an accent. Unless you're a yooper. Then you might as well be from Weesconsin.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never really thought about posters' accents before.

I don't think I have an accent, but northerners and people not from LA tell me otherwise.... [Dont Know]

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I hear everyone as neutral, and to me I don't have an accent. People I talk to on the phone tell me I have an accent but I only can hear it if I hear recordings of my voice.

I went to the world SF convention in Boston sometime in the 70s and I was shocked when Isaac Asimov spoke and he had a heavy NY/Boston accent. All those years in my head when I was reading all his books he sounded like he spoke perfectly normal conversational English.

Do some people from NY and California and the midwest not realize they have an accent? It's one that we hear a lot on TV or radio so it's more familiar sounding to everyone in the country, but every region has its own accent. One is not any different than another. They are all equivalent. I think they all sound great. I love people's accents.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, they use y'all in the South a lot. But only to refer to more than one person.

People not from the South who've picked up "y'all"
never seem to get that right. [Smile]

Dagonee

[ November 24, 2004, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.