FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » As Darkness Rises... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: As Darkness Rises...
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I plunge ever deeper toward sadness. With the absence of the light, I lose strength and warmth and hope. It is the same cycle every year - losing the light, I lose part of my soul. It is the time to visit the Underworld. To wait in Darkness as I am unmade, cocooned in sorrow until I am ready to break free once more.

No wonder the animals hide or seek warmer climes! I feel I understand the urge to seek shelter and sleep all winter, the compelling desire to fly away south.

I notice a lot of my Hatrack friends are also experiencing a darker sense of being as Winter begins to close its grip and hold us in thrall.

I just want to let you know it's okay to flow somewhat with the seasons. This is a time to draw into yourself and replenish your energies, so that when Spring comes, you can burst forth with new strength.

I love thee, my friends. If only we could all burrow together in a dark cave and keep each other warm.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea Jenny.
*finds a comfy place with a lot of place for all hatrackers, rolls herself to sleep.*

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Group Hug]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I must disagree.

The winter is a delightful time. The air is fresh, cold. It bites at you as you walk in it. And the snow! Oh, the snow! It is so beautiful!

The world is full of beauty; one snowfall changes everything. No mosquitos. And finally, no rain!

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been accused of being a gloomy sort regardless of the season, but I find Winter to be a time of quiet reflection and introspection.

Nature's half-time, if you will.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Winter was delightful to me in such places as Wyoming, where I could be pretty darn sure that the clouds carrying the snow woulld dump their snow and go away leaving lots of beautiful sunshine and fresh air. Also, the cold was a "dry" cold which feels much nicer than say the "wett" (humid) cold of snowy places like Buffalo, NY.

*Shivers remembering Buffalo - and always being cold*

The PNW has lots of grey, rainy, humid cold days that seem endless. A few years ago it literally rained for the ole 40 days and nights scenario, anywhere from a cloud-filled misty light rain to a torrential downpour. When the sun sneaked out for a 15 minute break, everything literally came to a stop as all the depressed people went outside blinking and sneezing to get a little caress from the watery orb above.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm all for sleeping for weeks on end.

*crawls into cave*

*cuddles with Jenny*

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
You're lucky.

Brazil:

Summer (Dec/Mar) - 33o C to 43o C
(So called) Winter (Jun/Aug) - 20 o C to 35o C

Its too d*mn hot all year long!
[Wall Bash]

I must live with the air conditioner turned on. You could bake an egg on the street, right now, I swear.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I was out walking last night as usual and it snowed a bit!!!!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

The weather is always better on the other side of the fence. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I notice the same thing, Jenny. I spend a lot of time outdoors, so I think I tend to notice more -- and be affected more -- by the lack of light in the winter.

A friend of mine who has problems with depression sits in front of a fancy full-spectrum light for an hour every morning and every afternoon. He says it helps him a lot.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Winter is my favorite time of year - none of my triggering airborne allergens to deal with!! However, I do absolutely agree about the lack of sunlight being an factor in how I generally feel.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread title makes me think of Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising. I haven't read those since I was 9ish, I should go back to them at some point.

Carry on.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Light therapy, vitamins and exercise do help for being awake and alive, but there's nothing so satisfying in the winter as curling up in a warm bed with lots of blankets, those you love and some good reading material.

All things in balance, each has their time. [Smile]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate cold. I hate air conditioning. I was freezing at nights when I was in America.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny, I know how you feel. I hate winter with a passion. My depression usually starts in the fall as soon as the days get shorter. I love sunlight, and I loathe the difference in the quality of light during the winter. It's a cold light, not a warm one. I also miss seeing as many birds.

To help me, usually during fall I collect pieces of nature. Pretty leaves, buckeyes, anything will do. I display them around my house so that in January I'm reminded of what's beneath all that snow. I also keep one birdfeeder regularly filled so that I'm able to see the birds that do hang around. Other than that I just try to get through it month by month.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
I love the seasons, all of them. The reason it happens for me is much more psychological. I'm not sure how i'm going to handle it this year, I just moved out. At my mom's I'd sleep for 10-14 hours straight.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter is a Snow Baby. She loves the winter. If there is a quarter-inch of snow on the ground, she will beg me to go play in it with her! I can't hate winter when Abby loves it so much.

I'm learning to appreciate it more. It's just the Darkness that gets to me.

I like snuggling. Anybody else out there want to come snuggle with me in the warm cave?

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
This year I spent from about July on, dreading the coming of winter. I told myself that it was stupid and that I should enjoy the good weather we had, but I couldn't stop. Now that it is basically here. I've had a spurt of energy. I think the dread was weighing more on me than the season does. I think the Darkest month for me is February, even though the days are lengthening again by then.

But I'm all about cocooning with a good book too. The problem for the last year and a half is that our bedroom wasn't exactly the most restful place in the world since it was in need of rennovation. But I'm putting my "energy spurt" towards working on the room and hopefully it will be finished in a couple of weeks. Then I can burrow in and not come out til Spring.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
A few days ago, I would have said that I was handling November better than I normally do. Today, though I am feeling the darkness.

quote:
I just want to let you know it's okay to flow somewhat with the seasons. This is a time to draw into yourself and replenish your energies, so that when Spring comes, you can burst forth with new strength.
This is interesting, and I think there's some wisdom in it. The years when the darkness hit me the hardest were those years when I tried to keep really busy during December. I sang in the church choir, and made all the Christmas cookies, and decorated my house by myself. By the time January rolled around, I was exhausted, and would end up completely withdrawing into myself until spring. I would quit choir from burnout, and wouldn't clean the house, and could barely function at work. Last year, I didn't do a darn thing for the holiday except go to Midnight Mass, and managed to survive the winter without feeling too terrible. So I think you may be right in that it IS natural to slow down a bit. I've already noticed that I've been doing a lot more reading lately, which strikes me as a very cozy thing to do.

quote:

I like snuggling. Anybody else out there want to come snuggle with me in the warm cave?

I am all for that. I don't get near as much snuggling as I would like these days. *snuggles Andrea*

quote:
I think the Darkest month for me is February, even though the days are lengthening again by then.
Yeah. Late January and Feburary. Actually, there is a long-time Chicago Mensan who throws a Winter Doldrums party around that time every year. I am thinking I might throw one this year. Or some kind of Hatrack gathering. I know that Wenchcon and the outing to Dana's last season really helped me make it through the winter.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I wouldn't object to some non-committal snuggling, but when I burrow in to a warm comforter, I tend to doze off. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew you when I met you, Persephone. [Smile]

Karen, let's plan something. Sounds fun! Maybe mid-December?

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for this thread Jenny. [Smile]
Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When the Dark comes rising, six shall turn it back;
Three from the circle, three from the track;
Wood, bronze, iron; water, fire, stone;
Five will return, and one go alone.

Iron for the birthday, bronze carried long;
Wood from the burning, stone out of song;
Fire in the candle-ring, water from the thaw;
Six Signs the circle, and the grail gone before.

Fire on the mountain shall find the harp of gold
Played to wake the Sleepers, oldest of the old;
Power from the green witch, lost beneath the sea;
All shall find the light at last, silver on the tree.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I remember the teacher who showed me how to use a card catalogue. Susan Cooper was the very first author I found that way.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Great books. Especially The Dark Is Rising. I reread them (or at least the best of them) almost every year.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

I was young enough to wonder about whether it could be a true story. My first exposure to the Green Man -- some very old mythos in there.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Me too (wondering if it could be real). I *really* wanted it to be real. I wanted to be an Old One pretty badly.
Teshi
Member # 5024

Don't we all...

[Frown]

[ November 29, 2004, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Teshi, have I mentioned that you're one of my favorite people around here?
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Yeah. Whenever we would go for a drive, I'd be eying the shapes of the hills and scanning door knockers for hidden sigils.

I so wanted to be called to a high purpose, to be asked for a great sacrifice. I was ready, and I just knew there had to be more to the world than what was on the surface.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Me too. Well, I was never espeically keen on the idea of making a noble sacrifice if I could help it, but I was right there with you on the rest of it.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*snuggles in the cave with Jenny* I hear you, sister.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Teshi, have I mentioned that you're one of my favorite people around here?
Thank you Noemon [Blushing] [Smile]

EDIT: I always liked the idea of being like Bran from The Grey King and onwards. I thought he was cool (trying not to give to much away here) although I wasn't so pleased in the end.

I just wanted magic to exist, darnit!

[ November 29, 2004, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Bran always seemed too aloof for me to want to be him; I'm right with you all on wanting to be an Old One (or even just someone who hung out wih them),though.

As for the real topic of this thread, my mom accuses me of having S.A.D., myself.

[ November 29, 2004, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Perhaps I am haughty and aloof [Wink] .

I wanted to be involved in someway. It felt like someone's fighting a major battle and I don't even know about it, let alone being able to help!

It always made me want to go to Wales.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Amen to that. I mean, I'd always wanted to go anyway; I have family there (second cousins, etc.), and I did my sixth grade country report on Wales and fell in love with the scenery. But the descriptions just sound so cool, it increased my longing... (I wasn't lucky enough to discover those books until I was 14.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

The Wales countryside is overrated.

Ireland though - that is some scenic coastline.

-Trevor

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I want to go there, too...

And they both have great music. So no help deciding there. And I have relatives both places.

However, we're dead broke, so the point is moot right now anyway.

Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
[Cry] [Wink]
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:

Pfft. Please. Wales has some of the most beautiful countryside I've ever had the fortune of driving and hiking through (mostly driving though).
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
*holes up with the rest of you* I agree with BannaOJ - February is my Darkest month. The color and music of Christmas get me through December, and if there is snow, January is bearable. But by February, even the snow can't get me by. It just becomes too much. February is a very hard month for me. March is only a little better.
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

March is my least favourite month because in Canada March is mushy snow and bad smells and water up to here.

I miss March in England where there were flowers.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
March is good! I gave birth to the world's most beautiful, intelligent, and creative girl early in March; she'll turn 7 this time around. Also, March is fun because pear trees start making their tiny little fuzzy leaf holders before they pop out into bloom in April. My kids and I used to check our pears trees for them on a daily basis.

January and February can go suck an egg, though.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I was born in March. Still doesn't make it any better. [Frown]
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Karen, let's plan something. Sounds fun! Maybe mid-December?
That might be doable. I do have some plans for December, but most of those are during the week, so my weekends are free (so far, anyway). Any ideas? My mom said she is willing to loan me her car on Saturdays, so I can drive somewhere if need be. [Smile]
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

I am totally booked every weekend in December. *sigh*
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

ElJay is having the henna in February; want to try for Jan or March instead? (or xnera, you and I could do something by ourselves in Dec, and then something later too)
Vána
Member # 6593

Oh, no, it's alright. I know the world doesn't revolve around me! And besides, it's my own darn fault for agreeing to help out with the Sunday School Christmas Program this year. [Smile]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
xnera the only thing I have planned in December is the outing with you! Steve's dad is coming in at the end of the month though.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.