FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help--Wedding Prose

Author Topic: Help--Wedding Prose
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the matron (blech--matron is just not a nice word) of honor at my best friend's wedding, and she wants me to do a reading during the wedding (as opposed to a speech at the reception). She'd like prose, and, as she puts it, "long enough to fill up time, but short enough so that the kids don't get fussy." Moreover, it cannot be biblical or religious. So, does anyone know any good prose on love and/or marriage that fits the bill?

Thanks! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
There are some exerpts from Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke that might be just what she's looking for. I'll find the ones I'm thinking of this afternoon.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

dkw...thanks! I found a version of it online and and am paging through it even as we speak.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Woah, Megan... matron? You're married!? [Eek!]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, she is.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Wow. That's crazy. Aren't you like... 12? [Razz]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

No, she's not.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Thanks, Russell... most helpful. I love your plethora of useful information.
fugu13
Member # 2859

You're welcome.
Raia
Member # 4700

[Razz]
Megan
Member # 5290

You guys are hilarious. [Wink] Yes, I'm married...and while I'm very flattered that you think I'm that young, I'm actually 26. I did get married somewhat young--22--(my mom wasn't at all happy about it at first), but it's worked out ok. Only one person on the board has actually met him in person, though, so I don't if he's technically real.
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
After that last round of drinking, I'm not entirely sure he's real either.

Of course, a lot of details about that night are kinda fuzzy... [Taunt]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Megan -- One person besides you? 'Cause you count, ya know. But unless he registers, he's not real no matter how many Hatrackers he meets.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. He's not registering.

Trust me on this one.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I still want to meet him, and if you want, i'll write you something... I promise, it'll bring a tear to your friends eye...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

ElJay--Trevor's got the right of it; he'll never be real cause he'll never register (silly, silly man).

JT, while it's not out of the realm of possibility that you'd meet him, it would most likely happen entirely by chance (not unlike when I met Allegra). And as for you writing something--well, I think I'll stick with authors from earlier time periods. [Big Grin]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would anyone want to meet someone who can't be bothered to register at Hatrack?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I've met Mr. Ralphie and Mr. Celia, neither of whom are registered, and enjoyed both encounters immensely.

It's hard for us mortals to understand, but I suppose it can be done...

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
While I have not had the pleasure of meeting Mr. celia, I have met Mr. Ralphie. And as Annie did, I enjoyed said meeting very much.

In a way, I expect it is simpler if one's spouse does not make a habit of reading Hatrack.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.