FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » King? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: King?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow, I have made it to this point in my life without ever reading any Stephen King. So many people have been ranting and raving about the Dark Tower series. The Gunslinger be a good way to start in on him?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
IT scared me [Frown]
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't read King. And I have a very very hard time reading the couple of Dean Koontz books I have read. Actually, even OSC's Maps in a Mirror was almost more horror than I can handle in literary form

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I tried "it" and didn't get far. Too scary. So if the question is, can you live without reading King, the answer is definitively yes. [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Try some of his short story anthologies like Night Shift or Skeletion Crew.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Go for 'Salem's Lot. His best that I've read.

I have not read the Gunslinger series, but I hear that's better.

The Talisman is good; Black House is mediocre, but in my opinion, it was published because it has his name on it, not because of good writing.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this thread, and immediately thought Dr. Martin Luther, Jr. Silly me. [Roll Eyes]

I liked Tommyknockers.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
The Stand
Four Minutes Till Midnight (collection of short stories/novellas)
Different Seasons (another short story/novella collection)
Bag of Bones
On Writing

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I have read nothing. I'm not intending to dive in and read all his stuff, but I am interested in at least tasting his novels.

So, would the Gunslinger be a good book to try?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually don't like most of what I've read of Stephen King. Should I duck when I say that?

However...The Stand is absolutely wonderful. I liked Carrie, too.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't read horror books and I don't watch horror movies, but I liked both The Stand and The Green Mile.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I myself have watched almost no horror movies, and for the most part, I could take or leave movies in general.

But I keep hearing about how good an author King is. I want to find out if he really is, but I don't want to start with something that isn't a fair representation.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't duck, Katie, that's totally normal.

King is sort of hit and miss. When he gets it right, he gets it right. Shawshank Redemption (the movie) was an adaptation to screenplay from King's novella Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. The Green Mile (now a single book) was a release of a serial novel...six of them I think. It was torture waiting for each to come out...each in tiny 100 page bits...not that I'm bitter.

The Stand is just incredible.

On Writing is a neat bit of work and certainly a good read for any aspiring writer (or anyone interesting in writing in some sort of vague way).

His two novella collections are markedly different from his horror novels.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Porter,

the only trouble with trying out "The Gunslinger" is that it's the start of a seven-book saga.

I haven't read too many of King's novels, but I think "The Stand" was a really great read - and it is connected to the Dark Tower series.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I was ducking Taalcon's rock-throwing smilie.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

He has a rock throwing smilie? o_O
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to get into the Dark Tower books, and just couldn't. The "rules" of the world were too arbitrary. And the second book introduces a drug addict character, and I just don't have any patience for characters with addictions... so I never got past the first few chapters of the second book.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
THe Stand is beautiful.

Gunslinger isn't really typical of him, it's an amazing book, but it's not really his style.

DeadZone is good, as is Eyes of the Dragon.

I liked Salem's Lot, but I haven't read Carrie, or IT, or any of the ones he's famous for.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Taalcon's rock-throwing smilie, which I'm ducking because King is his favorite author and I'm still borrowing a King book that I haven't been able to get through.
mackillian
Member # 586

[ROFL]
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Eyes of the Dragon and Dolores Claiborne was OK. Loved Green Mile... I haven't read too many more. Though On Writing was GREAT. [Big Grin] I love that book.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Guess which one I like (by 'like' I mean 'the only one I've read').
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Misery.

Totally obvious.

zgator
Member # 3833

I would go with something from earlier in his career, like The Stand, The Shining or Salems Lot. As time went by, he seemed to be going more for quantity than quality.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with sndrake--The Gunslinger is good, but it is the start of a long, long story. I agree with what many people have said...start with either The Stand, or some of his short stories (or novellas, like the Bachman Books). Some of his recent stuff is just out of left field, though, so pick and choose carefully.

Also be aware that he pulls few punches when it comes to sex (though it isn't exactly frequent), and even fewer punches when it comes to profanity. It doesn't bother me because I think his storytelling ...what...is better than that? Makes it worthwhile? I don't know. Eyes of the Dragon doesn't really go that route, but that's because it was originally intended to be a young adult novel. It is still completely wonderful, though.

Edited because everything I listed is part of his writing that isn't horror per se. If you're wanting to read his "horror" novels, I agree with zgator: stick with early in the career. I particularly enjoyed The Dead Zone--which is why I can't watch the USA show. [Razz]

[ November 30, 2004, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Megan ]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

I would actually recommend not starting out with The Stand. It's a great book, but very long. It might be better to start with one of his regular length novels.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Good King books:

IT
Eyes of the Dragon
The Stand
The Shining
Salem's Lot
The Dark Half
The Talisman
The Dead Zone
Drawing of the Three
The Waste Lands
Wizard and Glass
Wolves of the Calla
Skeleton Crew
Four Minutes 'Til Midnight
Nightmares and Dreamscapes

[ November 30, 2004, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Tom, have you read Hearts in Atlantis by any chance?
Megan
Member # 5290

Oh, hey, you're right, mack, I forgot about Hearts in Atlantis! I thought it was good (and don't go by the movie version, which had almost nothing to do with the book).
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid I got a few pages in, thought, "Okay, so this is going to be another Rose Madder," and stopped reading.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I actually couldn't stand the book. I think because I didn't "get" it. At all. What was the point of the story?
Megan
Member # 5290

Mack, honestly, it's been a while since I've read it, so I'm not sure. I just remember thinking, "Hey, this is much better than a lot of his recent non-Dark Tower stuff. Maybe I'll see the movie after all."
Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack- I felt the exact same way. When I whined about it to the friend who leant me the book ("That was the longest book Ever! And it didn't even have a Point!), he claimed it wasn't supposed to have a point, that I was just supposed to enjoy it for the beauty of the stories.

I haven't picked up any King since. [Big Grin]

Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
The Gunslinger was written when he was very young, and has very, very little of his signature style. I liked it, though. I immediately sympathized with the cold, determined protagonist, even though I had no real reason to do so. I can't explain that.

The reason I like King si because all of his stories (or the ones I've read, anyway) have a definite moral center. You can get away with that in Horror without seeming like a fundy. Don't ask me why that is. But, anyway... even when his characters are doing something wrong (or something right for the wrong reasons and vice versa) he has a clear sense of good and evil, and people struggling with choices.

And, yeah. There are monsters and blood and spider babies eating their mothers and whatnot. I don't care for the spatter/gore (which he usually has a bit of, though not so much in some stories) but I hold my nose and get through it because I want to see what happens next.

I liked the Dark Tower series. I started it because I'm a big Browning fan, and was sucked in. The STAND was also very good. I liked Bag of Bones and Heart sin Atlantis (though some bits were self-indulgent, I thought).

Start off with Everything's Eventual. It's a collection of short stories that will let you get a taste of his style without a huge commitment. The title story introduces Dinky Earnshaw, who is important in the final Dark Tower book (which I am very close to finishing). It'll give you an idea whether-or-not he's your cuppa, as they say.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
The Stand! Yes, it's a big old book, but darn it's good. I read on average at least one book a week, and have for at least the last 10 years, and The Stand is definately in my top 3.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
The Stand and Insomnia both were very good in my opinion.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
King is ok... I like Misery, Eyes of a Dragon and Delores Claiborne. I reckon he is better than John Saul but my taste lean a bit more towards young adult fiction for some reason..
But I don't think I am being elitist for thinking King is ok but not the greatest....

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
MPH-

I didn't enjoy Gunslinger very much, but I kept reading the series and it immediately picked up with the second one. With the Dark Tower series, sometimes it's a little boring, but sometimes it's fantastic. So if you're up for reading more than one book, go for the series- it's great!

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
My absolute favorite King books: Insomnia, Tommyknockers
Absolute least favorites: Gerald's Game, Buick, Dreamcatcher (in that order)

If you're seriously going to start on the Dark Tower series, my recommendation is to skip Gunslinger for now. Read Drawing, Waste, Wizard, THEN Gunslinger, then back to chronological order. Gunslinger is much more of a Western than the rest and it's very difficult to get to liking any of the characters. Took me four attempts over a span of about 5 years to finally complete it. By the time you finish Drawing through Wizard, you'll have a much better idea of what drives Roland and things will make more sense. At least that was the way it went for me and for several of my friends on the King boards.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like King, either. I've read The Shining and a book of his short stories, including the ones that Stand by Me and Shawshank Redemption came from. He keeps me turning the pages but in the end he leaves me with a bad taste in my belly. There's just no light there. I won't read any of his others.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
IT would have been a pretty good book without the scene where Beverly has sex with them all.

Honestly, that one scene ruined the whole book.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
King likes pushing buttons.

Oh, look! A lot of people have instinctual fear about people with masks or makeup? I'll make the antagonist a clown!

Re-reading DarkTowerSeries again. I just like how he creates characters that darn near LIVE in my brain while I'm reading. While waiting for book7 to release, I was seriously throwing out bits of Gunslinger-talk. Still do, actually.

I found context to use the line "the world has moved on" the other day at work. The customer didn't seem to know why I suddenly began cracking up, at my own comment. Must think I'm crazy.

Crazy as always,
Psycho Triad

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I have found myself using "ka," "the world has moved on," and "thankee-sai" in normal conversation. [Smile]
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! And I've been working on adapting my fencing salute, either bringing hilt to forehead or neck-level, depending on the gender of my opponent.

'Cry your pardon' works well in conversation without causing weird looks too.

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
That's cool, Ken. I have caught myself saying Thankee-sai and so forth, too. These characters have just... taken up residence in my brain. Dang, I wish I could do that.
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
You might find the living accomodations either amazingly cramped or a little drafty, depending on your point of view.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
King is an awesome writer. I haven't read much of his stuff, but it really draws you in and he really makes you feel true empathy for the characters...so in the case of Shawshank Redemption you cheer and cry and stuff... and in the case of IT or The Stand it makes you cry out for the suffering of those characters. He will build up a person, history, motivations, emotions, personality... and then just kill them! But as OSC said, that's the most powerful form of fear...dread. But of course King said that when dread doesn't work he'll go for the gross out... but he's talented enough where he doesn't need to do that very often.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

quote:
But of course King said that when dread doesn't work he'll go for the gross out... but he's talented enough where he doesn't need to do that very often.
The dread sure didn't work in The Tommyknockers then. He seemed to rely completely on the gross out in that one.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Did he write Creepshow?

Ugh... yah, that was nothing but gross out.

*feels ill just thinking about that nasty blob*
[Angst]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Livvy, dear, your characters DO live in my brain. And they want to know what happens to them next.

They're fighting with my characters. It's not pretty.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.