FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What was he THINKING?

Author Topic: What was he THINKING?
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
So it's sad, but I admit to a slight chuckle when the article ended with "Police found no evidence of drug or alcohol use."

I assume he wanted to see what would happen if he increased the heat differential between the bottom and top of the lava lamp, I'm rather impressed he'd thought of that, and yet didn't think about perhaps a more sane way of achieving it or protecting himself.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Eek!] There are some truly stupid people in this world. [Frown] How does one get the idea that heating a lavalamp on the stove is a good thing?
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Darwin awards, anyone?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Take note, Lava Lamp! Stay off the stove!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That is a lot less stupid than a lot of the things I've done.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
The words "Self Correcting Error" came to mind.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it is a bit of a freak that the shard of glass went right into his heart. I wouldn't have expected it to explode that forcefully. Of course, the contents would have been under pressure. But I've seen that a lot of people just don't think in those kinds of terms.

Still, it reminds me of the time my husband started cooking spaghetti on the stove with our glass casserole dish. We had only been married about a month, and had recieved both a glass pan and a glass casserole dish as gifts. He'd seen me use our glass pan, and had seen the dish in the oven. He just figured the dish would work on the stove too.

I come in. "What are you doing!?"

"Cooking the spaghetti."

"That's a casserole dish. It shouldn't touch a direct heat source, it will shatter."

The dish obeys me. Spaghetti and glass explode all over the stove.

"It wouldn't have done it if you hadn't have said anything," husband grumbles.

[ November 30, 2004, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: AmkaProblemka ]

Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WishfulWiggin
Member # 6823

- posted      Profile for WishfulWiggin   Email WishfulWiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Amka:
[ROFL]

Posts: 208 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it was an evil lava lamp.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure that "thinking" would be the correct word in this case.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I promise you -- Every. Single. One. Of. You. have done something at least as stupid as this. Did he have phenomenal bad luck -- yes. Did he display unusual stupidity -- no.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, MPH! Watch me pull a rabbit out of this woodchipper!
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see why he would have done that.

I put my hand on the stove once to see what would happen, even after I was told not to touch it because it was hot.

Like they say, curiosity killed the cat. [Wink]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I put my hand on an iron when I was four because I didn't think it was hot.

When I was four, I also sniffed pepper. [Eek!]

I also managed to eat an entire container of frosting the dead of night.

Also in the dead of night, but not the same night, I cut my baby sister's bangs.

My fourth year wasn't a particularly spectacular one.

[ November 30, 2004, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: mackillian ]

Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but curiosity killed the guy with a lava lamp.
But seriously, was he a Mythbuster?

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I was four, I also sniffed pepper.
[Confused]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm with porter--I've done stuff so stupid and ill thought out that this guy's mistake looks positively...well...not brilliant, but not stupid either.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

adam -- The reason his stupid action has been broadcast to a wider audiance is because of his horrible luck to die from it. Having bad luck doesn't make the action any dumber.

[ November 30, 2004, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I promise you -- Every. Single. One. Of. You. have done something at least as stupid as this. Did he have phenomenal bad luck -- yes. Did he display unusual stupidity -- no.
When I was three years old I sat a hot steam iron down on my left hand. Hurt like a, well, you know. That's not the stupid part. The stupid part is that I then wanted to do the same thing to my right hand so that they would match. [Eek!]

Oh, and then there was the time that I was at my grandma's house and wanted to be helpful and do the dishes - this was maybe a year or so after I did the thing with the iron. So, I finished washing all the dishes and saw a tin can, opened by hand and with the top still attached and decided that it needed washing, as well. Cut the side of my hand just as my parents were driving into the driveway to come pick me up. They heard the scream and came in to find me dripping blood into the dishwater.

So, yeah, we all do stupid things. Some of us do them more frequently than others. [Embarrassed]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
The only stupid things I can think of doing happen to involve relationships...Aside from the time I dropped a jar of Apple sauce and ran through the puddle of sauce 10 minutes later. I still have the scar from the piece of glass that lodged in my foot. But I have an excuse. I was 5 at the time.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
We heard this story on the radio this morning on the way in, and I also thought -- "wow, how freaky. I mean, what are the odds that a shard of glass would go exactly to his heart and kill him?"

But my son pointed out there are probably just as many freak accidents where people SHOULD have been killed but somehow were NOT, that we never hear about.

I suppose he is right about that...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
If any of you have ever had a lava lamp, you'd know how long it takes for the little light bulb to heat up the goo enough for it to start looking funky-cool. And if he had a hot date on their way over or something, he'd have to find a quick way to heat it, no? At least he didn't stick it in the microwave.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Quinn apparently stumbled into his bedroom, where he died Sunday afternoon, authorities said.
Hmm...I have a piece of glass embedded in my chest. Think I'll go lay down. Then again, he did live in a trailer so it was probably the same room.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
With a chunk of glass in his heart, it was more of a " *gasp groan whimper cough gush stagger stagger die* " action and not any coordinated plan.

As for stupid - it's possible he was holding the lamp and forgot the stove was hot when he put it down.

Not unlike the woman who lit a cigarette on her way out of the trailer when her landlord warned her the gas line was being repaired. A bad habit, to be sure.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else amused by Frisco's idea of getting ready for a hot date? [Wink]

[ November 30, 2004, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
No.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently it was a little too hot.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I'm still trying to figure out what he'd DO with it.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, have I got a stupid story (and I don't even have to own up to it).

One time I smelled gas in my apartment, so I went downstairs to the pizzaria where the landlord worked to see if we could check the upstairs apartment. The landlord wasn't there, but the kid behind the counter says he'll come up with me.

My upstairs neighbor wasn't home, she was in the hospital, which was common. On the outside of her door was a big sign: "Warning, Oxygen in use, no smoking, sparks, or open flame!"

Well, this kid doesn't have a key to the apartment, so we're standing in the hallway, smelling gas, and he pulls out a lighter and lights it, apparently to see if it would create a flame, thereby proving that the gas smell was a gas smell.

It was one of those things where I saw him doing it, but my brain took about a half second to realize what he was doing. You can bet I called him names, but I don't remember what. Luckily, the concetration was below the L.E.L (that's lower explosive limit)

The sad thing is that the smell was coming from the pilot light of her water heater, which had gone out. She shouldn't have been using Oxygen in an apartment with a water heater with a standing pilot.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked my son's lava lamp, the bottle part has a cap on it, just like the cap on a beer bottle, so the thing can be filled. I'd say that it would be pretty safe to do (whatever he was trying to do) with the bottle cap off.

This sounds like the kind of thing we used to do in the lab all the time.

Also: My friends used to put beer cans in a campfire. Apparently they launched like rockets. I was never there when they did it though.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lavalamp
Member # 4337

- posted      Profile for Lavalamp           Edit/Delete Post 
I notice a distinct lack of concern over the untimely demise of a perfectly good lavalamp. I mean, c'mon, we come with warnings all over us. We aren't meant to be abused. We are not toys people!

I'm sorry this man died, but, really, where's the concern for the lava?

Note: This might've been one of those angry lavalamps. It happens. You wouldn't think, but when you are just left gathering dust and don't get to partake of the ooze for years and years...well...who wouldn't turn a little homicidal under those circumstances.

Goodbye!

Posts: 300 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"It wouldn't have done it if you hadn't have said anything," husband grumbles.
lol [Smile]

quote:
very true. I have done some rather stupid things in my life that could have gotten me killed, particularly when I was in my early teens. Fortunately, luck, God, or both were on my side. [Smile]
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I made a lavalamp out of an Absolut bottle in college.

It didn't circulate as well do the shape, but it looked pretty cool. [Smile]

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard once tried to heat up spaghetti sauce in a glass bowl and his rice cooker. He manged to get it three feet in the air before the bottom gave out. To this day, his room still smells like marinara.
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If any of you have ever had a lava lamp, you'd know how long it takes for the little light bulb to heat up the goo enough for it to start looking funky-cool. And if he had a hot date on their way over or something, he'd have to find a quick way to heat it, no?
Nothing like a little Lava lamp-watching to liven up a dull evening.

*snickers*

No, I really do feel sorry for the guy. Well, if he had some freak fascination for the lamps, then maybe on the bright side: he died happy?

*shrug* I tried to think positive.

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I missed this thread when I was on my little sabbatical. And the original link is broken. [Cry] Oh, here is a link.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
You bored? [Wink]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Just trying to give the newbies some classic 'rack.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
link

unrelated, but in the same vein. Major WTF while watching the news.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.