FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dragon! Eeeee! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dragon! Eeeee!
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Dragons are scary.

[ November 30, 2004, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Intelligence3 ]

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Not even a link to a picture of Smaug?

Here's one.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Um... Smaug never blew fire at his own treasure...

He would have MELTED it then...

He wouldn't do that because he loves treasure.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
[No No] How quickly we forget our favorite dragon:

PUFF THE MAGIC DRAGON!!
Raaa
Sing it with me now:

quote:
Puff, the magic dragon, lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honalee.
Little Jackie Paper loved that rascal Puff
And brought him strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff, oh

Together they would travel on boat with billowed sail
Jackie kept a lookout perched on Puff's gigantic tail
Noble kings and princes would bow whene'er they came
Pirate ships would lower their flags when Puff roared out his name, oh

A dragon lives forever, but not so little boys
Painted wings and giants's rings make way for other toys.
One grey night it happened, Jackie Paper came no more
And Puff that mighty dragon, he ceased his fearless roar.

His head was bent in sorrow, green scales fell like rain
Puff no longer went to play along the cherry lane.
Without his lifelong friend, Puff could not be brave
So, Puff that mighty dragon sadly slipped into his cave, oh

I think I had a Puff doll. But I was so young, I can't remember if it was the real thing, or just a knock-off that my parents lied to me about. It was a pale green color and you put baby powder in it, and squeezed its belly and it would shoot out some powder. Tell me, did they make such things? And were they real "Puff the magic dragons"? I hope so, otherwise my childhood will be ruined! [Smile]
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
dadada daaaaaa

dadada daaaaaa

dadada da da da da dada

dumdumdumdumdumdumdumdum...

Trogdor was a man!
Trogdor was a dragon-man
well, he was just a...dragon
But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOR!! *dadada daaaaaa dadada daaaaaa dadada da da da da dada*

*lights a candle for the departed Trogdor*

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think I had a Puff doll. But I was so young, I can't remember if it was the real thing, or just a knock-off that my parents lied to me about. It was a pale green color and you put baby powder in it, and squeezed its belly and it would shoot out some powder. Tell me, did they make such things? And were they real "Puff the magic dragons"? I hope so, otherwise my childhood will be ruined! [Smile]
I have a stuffed Puff that we got at a Peter Paul & Mary concert this past summer. No baby powder tummies, though. He's soooooooo cute!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Puff was always one of my favorite songs. Still is! I sang it in a cabaret in January, and brought my little sister up for a duet in the second verse. I made my best friend cry. I loooove that song!!

I also had the movie when I was little, I would watch it several times a day.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I like Dragon. She's cool, and is a circus freak [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a question for all you fantasy readers:

Traditionally, dragons are evil, and unicorns are good.

There have been a *LOT* of stories written about how dragons aren't *all* bad, etc. etc..

Are there any stories out there about evil unicorns?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Black Unicorns? There was a book about one, but I can't remember if it was evil...

Also, a lot of books don't say they are good, but rather some sort of primordial magical beings to whom good and evil don't apply. They would kill anyone other than a virgin, remember?

[ December 01, 2004, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
There is the book The Black Unicorn by Terry Brooks, but IIRC, it's just an uber-special unicorn, not an evil one.

There's also a black unicorn in the anime The 13 Kingdoms (Juni Koki?), but he pretty much just looks different.

I've never heard that they won't kill virgins, but I've heard that they'll only let virgins ride them.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Why thanks Bok!

(and really, intelligence, I'm not that scary... am I?)

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I haven't heard of any stories involving actively evil unicorns.

People have a habit of looking for good elements in even the worst characters, but they tend to have a blind spot for assigning negative aspects to traditionally good characters.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I shall write a story about an evil unicorn. What should her side-kick be... a nasty, animate rainbow?

[ December 01, 2004, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I had considered making a unicorn/rainbow crack, but thought it wasn't as funny as I wanted.

You found the funny.

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

Oh, and Dragon, [Angst]
ElJay
Member # 6358

I was serious!!! :pout: [Wink]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The unicorn's evil sidekick should be a BUNNY!

quote:
bunnies aren't just cute as everybody supposes
They got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses
And what's with all the carrots?
What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
Bunnies, bunnies
It must be bunnies

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Bring forth, yon Holy Handgrenade!

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's always an option, but lecturing people about their moral inferiority and the resulting guilty spiral can often lead the victim to do the dirty deed themselves. It's a great power that the vegan paragons of virtue wield.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Really? Those kinds of lectures always just make me reach for a bacon cheeseburger.

-Trevor

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a book called The Black Unicorn by an author named... Uhhh... Tanith Lee. I liked it. The second and third were good too. I don't have it anymore, but I still have the other two. I want another copy of that book.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

See, yeah, the evil bunny's been done.

My rainbow will be original.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of a rainbow that steals your SOUL. Like you go to the end to find gold and you are SUCKED DRY...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

You mean they don't?

It's a trick like the will o'wisp that leprachauns use to lure unsuspecting mortals into their world.

It seems the wee people need fresh blood to fill their ranks...

-Trevor

Raia
Member # 4700

Maybe the rainbow IS your soul... [Eek!]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Excellent, you're writing my book proposal for me... *rubshands* *takesnotes*
TMedina
Member # 6649

It's safe to say you're souled on the idea, El?

-Trevor

Raia
Member # 4700

Which one is writing your proposal? [Razz]
ElJay
Member # 6358

Both. I'm gonna mush all the ideas together into one super-proposal. After all, if one Hatracker is good, two must be better, neh?
Raia
Member # 4700

Good idea.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Where have all the Buffy fans gone?
Long time passing...
Long, long time ago.
Gone to Angel fans every one?
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?

Where have all the Angel fans gone?
Long time passing...
Long, long time ago.
Gone nowhere 'cause they cancelled that too, the sons of ...

Raia
Member # 4700

*pat pat*
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
*Misses Buffy [Cry]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
*Liked Angel more, but still misses both*

Dragons are the coooooooolest......mystical beings.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Depends on who's getting mushed together - some people would be a scary combination.

Can you imagine Tom with my chin?

-Trevor

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a short story by an Australian writer Nick Earls in which an unicorn gores a woman with his horn. Intentionally.

I don't know if you could describe the story as featuring an evil unicorn though - it's a fairly surreal piece of fiction where the unicorn flatmates with the narrator and the gored girl.

There is a faint memory stirring in my mind though of an evil unicorn story... can't pin it down for the life of me though. Hmmm, will think some more.

(Dagonee - Tony and I are re-working our way through Buffy season 2 at the moment. Re-watching after having seen seasons 6 and 7 makes us realise again how truly clever Joss Weddon is. )

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
Can you imagine Tom with my chin?
Nope. 'Cause while I've met Tom in person on multiple occasions, I've never even seen a picture of you. [Razz]
TMedina
Member # 6649

Never having seen Tom but having cut myself shaving many times, I can assure you it wouldn't be a pretty picture. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

imogen
Member # 5485

I've been sitting here racking my brains and I still can't remember the story I'm thinking of.

[Mad] This is going to irritate me for the rest of the day.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Well then I'll take your word for it. :flounces off:

Edit: s-i-g-h. My being snotty looks funny when you go and post in front of me, imogen. [Mad]

[ December 01, 2004, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

TMedina
Member # 6649

Sorry El - I'll make more of an effort to get a picture taken and posted somewhere.

Although at the rate I'm going, I might as well put it on a Wanted Poster and be done with it.

-Trevor

ElJay
Member # 6358

I'm just playin' with ya, Trevor. It was a funny, I don't mean to pressure you. And I certainly don't want you to think I some sort of weird-o stalker. [Angst] I'm just nosey. [Big Grin]
imogen
Member # 5485

And there I thought you were flouncing at me. I felt special.

[Frown] Sadly dis-illusioned.

*flounces quietly to herself*

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Was it "Problems with a Girl and Unicorn"?
TMedina
Member # 6649

Oh, I know El - believe me, I'm not the sort people stalk. [Taunt]

I was just too tired to put in the appropriate smiley face - playing email tag with someone and it's well past my bedtime. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

TMedina
Member # 6649

I'm sure El would love to flounce at you Imogen - I think I'm just about flounced out. [Taunt]

-Trevor

ElJay
Member # 6358

imogen, I will flounce at you any time :waggleseyebrows: Especially if you go back to signing all your posts with a [Mad] at the end, I snicker everytime I think about that.
imogen
Member # 5485

(Edit: to Dagonee) Oh yes, that was the Nick Earls one.

But I am sure I have read another story (by another author) with an evil unicorn. I think it raped a girl. But I can't remember the title, author, specific plot or even if it really existed.

(And I am loath to plug that particular combination of words into google. Especially given I am at work)

[ December 01, 2004, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: imogen ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.