FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Arrr! I'm a Pirate!

Author Topic: Arrr! I'm a Pirate!
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I've suddenly been consumed by a game. A new game. A Sid Meiers game. Pirates! (The new version). I got it today, and have barred myself in my room and played it straight for 7 hours. I haven't done that in ages. The game is just so FREAKING AWESOME!!!
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beaumaines
Member # 7074

- posted      Profile for Beaumaines   Email Beaumaines         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Maybe I shall pirate it and try it out. [Razz]
Posts: 7 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
"Time for impressions:...A pirate with an eyepatch, 'Arr! I'm a pirate!' A regular guy with an eyepatch, 'Arr! I am not a pirate!'"
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I agree. This is one of the best game remakes I've seen. I've played it for several hours over the past few days, and the game play is great.

I can honestly say the game isn't quite as deep as other online games. The world is limited in scope to the Carribean and Gulf of Mexico. Your character's life is measured in less than 20 years. However, I can sit down and play a Pirates! game in several hours, where the online MMORPGs consume months of work.

Ya know, I still love the manual to the original Pirates! game. The Memoirs of Capt'n Sydney were classics.

quote:

"Captains todays are all lily-livered cowards! In my time, 'twas the mark of a Captain that he could take a galleon with a pinnace." Aye, I did it meself off Yucatan. 'Twas a lggardly galleon from the Treasure Fleet, beating upwind to Havana..."

I was showing this game to one of my friends tonight, talking about the different ships and sailing around the Caribbean. I told him about my War Galleon, decked out with about every upgrade possible, and how I took it from the evil "Count Montalban" with my little sloop. [Smile] His response: "How the heck did you do THAT?"
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

The response, "Really good timing in a sword fight [Smile] "
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Technically, two broadsides of round shot and a bunch of grape shot into his stern. Yeah, the sword fight finished him off, but killing half his crew definitely helped out. [Smile]
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of the game. But this has to be the 60th thread since PotC came out that's been named "I'm a Pirate!" [Wink]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Arr, mateys, I jes started err game. Tis exactly what I been looken fer! *Rattles saber menacingly*

EDIT

Is there a way to take just some crewman to join your ship? What if 20 volunteer, but I only want 8?

Any tips? I just started yesterday and have only invested 20 minutes before my wife got upset at my game playing..hehe.

[ December 01, 2004, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: lem ]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

- posted      Profile for Turgan   Email Turgan         Edit/Delete Post 
omg, isn't the game GREAT, though? I wanna marry it or something...
You talking about the console game or the comp game? I have both...
O_O

Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

No, you can't recruit just a certain number of pirates. You have to take what you get. It's usually pretty easy to get some men killed off, though. Just let yourself get hit a couple times and you're good. [Smile]
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have any good tactics Boris? Are having a lot of ships good or bad? What are the advantages/disadvantages? What type of ship do you use? Does keeping luxeries, spices, and sugar boost moral, or should I sell it?

I am going home tonight and invest some serious time in the game!

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

Shipwise, I like to stick with something powerful, but still fast. I don't like having lots of ships because I don't trade much anymore. The trade scheme in the new version isn't as easy to make money with. It only helps to have extra ships to carry food and extra men for assaults on large cities. The biggest things that affect morale, that I've seen, are the length of time you've gone since dividing your plunder and the ammount of money you have on hand compared to the number of men you have. Another disadvantage to having multiple ships is the fact that you have to use men to pilot those ship who could easilly be used in your flagship to help speed up your gunfire and make sword fighting easier.

edit: The best thing to do in the game is find a high-ranking pirate early and take his ship. They tend to be the best ships in the game.

[ December 01, 2004, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Boris ]

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
It's out already?

Damn...I may have to buy a copy.

The old classic was great.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.