FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gimme your impressions of World of Warcraft (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Gimme your impressions of World of Warcraft
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get me wrong, I was in a great guild, and Molten Core was fun a few times. I just got bored doing the same instance over and over and over, including an hour of prep time to get all your ammo and bandages and potions and so forth together, meeting up, riding to MC entrance as a group so nobody gets ganked by the enemy on the way in, and only then do you get to start the 3-4 hours of dungeon, which you've already done countless times before.

That's the nature of end game, and it just doesn't appeal to me. Some of the people in my guild loved it, they've done MC over 100 times. After 6 I had had enough. There are a lot of instances much cooler than Molten Core. It's a shame that they didn't make the end game as fun as the mid game.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
I love World of Warcraft! I love the graphics, the story, the quests, and the ability to keep in contact with friends who live hundreds of miles away.

I also use a 56k dial-up, and it runs decently. It uses up RAM more than anything. So if you have a lot of RAM, it'll run beautifully, dial-up or not.

I'm not thrilled about the end-game 40 man raids. I haven't played long enough to have a level 60, but I'm approaching it and not looking forward to spending long hours doing instances for drops.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I looove WoW. I finally got my new comp with a gig of RAM and have been playing ever since. I've got a lvl 13 orc, a lvl 9 elf, and some random human guy I don't play with a lot. I can't wait until I don't have any finals left tho, then it'll be WoW so much more than I do already.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
World of Warcfraft E3 Trailer for The Expansion
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
That new Alliance class looks pretty dumb from the movie. Purple octopus face alligator-men? I understand they're part of the lore and all, but come on, that's the best they could do?

I may re-activate my current account to check out the new areas and see if there's anything good going on around lv. 70. Hopefully I won't have to be fully stocked on Molten Core and BWL items to compete.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

I just read somewhere the'll be called the "Drenai."

Also found out that a WoW movie is apparenlty being made in China already.

http://dnkblog.wordpress.com/ <-- from Feb 2?!?!? Interesting, if true.

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
About the Drenai, meh. I'd have preferred the Worgen or the Furbolg, but I'm hardly shocked by the choice (and Pandaren would have been much much worse). Given past and present creatures like the Cthulu from D&D, D'argo from Farscape, and Davey Jones from PotC 2, and many others, tentable beards don't seem so strange to me anymore.

Regarding the Warcraft movie being done in China. Blizzard has said a couple of times that said movie has no support from Blizzard or Vivendi, and I would imagine that it is in pretty much in violation of every copyright law that would be applicable (depends how many names of people and places they decided to use). But since Blizzard and the Chinese government have an arrangement through which both make money, I'm betting that's where the pressure, if any, will be applied. Regardless, there's still every chance that the chinese movie could be better than the hollywood one will be... Don't disappoint us Legendary!

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
the best summary of WoW that I've ever put together (in case anyone still wants that question answered) is: "It is the most fantastic game I've ever played... don't ever start playing it."

as someone who has wasted entirely too much time in the game (2 60s in a raiding guild that has finished everything in MC, BWL and half of AQ so far) even with any flaws and complaints about it, it has been from the start a fantastically created and implemented (mostly) game

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Architraz Warden:
About the Drenai, meh. I'd have preferred the Worgen or the Furbolg, but I'm hardly shocked by the choice (and Pandaren would have been much much worse). Given past and present creatures like the Cthulu from D&D, D'argo from Farscape, and Davey Jones from PotC 2, and many others, tentable beards don't seem so strange to me anymore.

In case you didn't already know, the Pandaren were never anything more than a prank by one Ian McConville. (See the post below the comic.)

And don't even get me started on the "from D&D" part of that post. [Wink]
Lovecraft would be turning over in his grave, assuming that ordinary rotational motion had any meaning in the remote galaxies of non-euclidean reality where his cyclopaean tomb is no doubt located.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Grimace: WoW is definately WAY too addicting.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, true enough about Lovecraft.

The Pandaren were much more than just a prank by the one guy, but they are a something of an inside joke. At the very least, they go back to the WC III expansion (Frozen Throne). If you beat a mission a particular way, then the following mission you got an additional hero unit who was a Pandaren Brewmaster. Also, I think one named Chen helped Rexxar in the extended part of TFT. His empty keg is a nice easter egg quest in the Barrens.

I think Samwise gets props for the original prank though, many years ago.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

WRT the movie in China -- apparently it's not a WoW knock-off, but in fact is "The Journey Eastward" and is some sort of ancient legend there. It just looks similar, sorta.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't suppose anyone's on Sen'Jin?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
Stormscale
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have a little baby toon on Sen'Jin (from one the the times that Doomhammer was down).
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Kel Thuzad

I think the Drenai look REALLY cool. I can't believe the females actually looke kinda hot, in a sort of Opera singer from, "The 5th Element" kind of way [Big Grin]

I have had a fantastic time playing WOW from 1-60. I used to raid about 4 nights a week (down to 1-2 now that I have a fiance) I've loved the experience from day 1 when I skipped work to buy it (the beginning of a hard learned lesson in priorities that I can't write out in just a few words)

It was the first MMORPG I ever played and it will likely be the last, because I just can't handle having so much fun at my fingertips and needing to do other things.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
With a gazillion servers I suppose it would have been too much to ask for anyone to be on Sen'jin.

Though it's cool you have a baby sen'jinite, Lusti =)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
There are times when I feel like picking the game up again.

Then again, there are also times when I feel like stabbing myself in the eye with a fork. I get over it pretty quickly.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Cthulhu didn't have a tentacled beard. He (Ia! Ia! Cthulhu f'tagn!) had something that may have resembled a tentacled beard in this puny manifestation of Euclidean geometry, but that's just the best our feeble minds can do... If we aren't immediately struck dead by the insanity of it all.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

Well, I was going for the race that was oh so popular in D&D (also known as Mind Flayers or some such)? They were of course just a mere pale shadow of the ineffable visage of THE Cthulu.
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

ersomaniac... I'm still working to get to that point. I hope I make it soon cause I need to get other stuff done.
Unicorn
Member # 216

- posted      Profile for Unicorn           Edit/Delete Post 
Must. . . play. . .WoW. . .

It is very addictive, but my hubby has it worse than I. We have only had it less than three months and his main is lvl 56 and does the PVP in the gulch and bason. At least my main is only lvl. 36.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.