FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Extremely Disturbing WMD Information

Author Topic: Extremely Disturbing WMD Information
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I was half watching the news half surfing the internet when I heard the news caster say something about Ricin being produced from castor beans.

So this kind of bothered me and I knew that the internet was a source of huge amounts of information. So I typed in Ricin and Castor beans into google and got a web site which had directions on how to produce ricin from castor beans. They give you a step by step process on how to create this stuff Here

On the news they said that Ricin is so dangerous that the amount the size of a sugar packet could wipe out a city. Does anyone else have a problem with this type of information being on the internet? Because I have a pretty big problem with it. Why would someone put this on their web site? It is just asking for someone to try and make it in their basement.

Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On the news they said that Ricin is so dangerous that the amount the size of a sugar packet could wipe out a city.
Judging by the CDC's website, that seems to be an exaggeration. Sure it's dangerous stuff, but not that potent.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Do-it-yourself ricin sounds like a really great way to get yourself killed. While a person could probably get ahold of the equipment needed to make it, I have my doubts about whether it would be easy to make it safely. There's also the distinct possibility that this information is inaccurate. And I suspect that those who would actually use ricin already have this information. This doesn't preclude stupid people from trying to make it at home for fun, but I'm not particularly worried unless someone who lives in my building decides to try it.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
On a larger scale though, does information equal permission? I ran into that question during the sex ed/abstinance debates. Does the school providing sex ed and condoms equal permission for high schoolers to have sex?
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
So adam, you would say giving someone knowledge on a subject does not equal giving them permission to commit the described act?

I'm just looking for clarification. It always seemed to me knowledge was a two edged sword that way. We have tv specials on anorexia encouraging girls not to act that way, but Christina Ricci said it was one of those made-for-tv movies that got her doing it.

I guess my question is, does the person giving out the information bear moral responsibility for what someone else does with the knowledge?

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jar Head
Member # 7018

- posted      Profile for Jar Head   Email Jar Head         Edit/Delete Post 
Double Tap!

[ December 01, 2004, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Jar Head ]

Posts: 117 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jar Head
Member # 7018

- posted      Profile for Jar Head   Email Jar Head         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course now you are on the Homeland Watch List and your hard drive is being copied for future reference.
Posts: 117 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

Jar Head, are you talking about me or the others? Because I did think about something like that when I posted, but I am not concerned because homeland security will find it pretty hard to find someone more in favor Bush's policies.

Just looking at my posts here would tell them that. But anyway, back to the original topic. After looking at the CDC link it seems you have to ingest or inhale it and it is not something which can be spread like a virus, so I am a bit happier about that.

Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

I can see that on a personal level.
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes all kinds of sites out there are flagged, Uni Bomber Manifesto, The Anarchist Cookbook etc. So many people hit them that they probably just compile a hits list and use it if your name comes up in some other specific investigation.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
Ricin is extremely dangerous in small doses, but like every other bio/chemical weapons its the delivery method that is the major issue. I could have a buckey of ricin and it wouldn't do me much good unless I could figure out how to get everyone in the city infected, from what I know most basic NBC equipment will keep it off you, it has to get into your system via the eyes, nose etc. From my personal knowledge it is not absorbed through the skin, but I could be wrong. The only person I can remember off hand who was killed by ricin was a target of the KGB which they killed with an umbrella gun, ricin was in the round inside the umbrella and though the round wasn't strong enough to kill the target, it was enough to penetrate the skin and deliver the agent.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
from the website:

quote:
NOTICE: TO ALL CONCERNED Certain text files and messages contained on this site deal with activities and devices which would be in violation of various Federal, State, and local laws if actually carried out or constructed. The webmasters of this site do not advocate the breaking of any law. Our text files and message bases are for informational purposes only. We recommend that you contact your local law enforcement officials before undertaking any project based upon any information obtained from this or any other web site. We do not guarantee that any of the information contained on this system is correct, workable, or factual. We are not responsible for, nor do we assume any liability for, damages resulting from the use of any information on this site.

Here's the formula for Ricin. The reason I place this on here is because if you try to make this poison (kills in 4 days, no good cure and the cure is rare) you will probably get some on your skin and die.

Probably few people are dumb enough to even try this. Or motivated to try it.

If you follow their steps precisely, you would kill yourself, however, because they tell you in some places how to protect yourself, but in other just tell you to "squeeze the filter" etc.

I these people are dumb to put this stuff on the web, but anyone who believes them is even dumber.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
If its any concolation, here is no way you could isolate ricin from Castor beans in high enough purity to be dangerous using this procedure. Ricin isn't very hard to purify and the procedures for doing so are commonly available in research libraries but the description at this website is laughable.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
You also can't take ricin in through you're skin unless it's solubilized in something that can penetrate like DMSO. It's also far more toxic when inhaled or injected than ingested, but most people won't have the lyophilizer in their basement that they'd need to make the protein into an aerosol, or the other equipment to make an aerosol for that matter. And, of course, in order to contaminate the water supply with enough ricin to reach a concentration high enough to kill a city they'd have to smuggle a whole hunkin' lot into the city's reservoir.

Nah, if you're worried about some crazy killing you worry about the guy across the street getting his hands on a gun or a knife. Or worry about getting in a car accident, or eating something you’re allergic to.

And, y'know, if someone was really and seriously going to make a WMD they probably wouldn't use "Little Timmy's Website of Death" to make their active ingredient. And, like rabbit said, they just aren't going to get much of anything from that procedure. They're actually a heck of a lot more likely to destroy it than isolate it in any meaningful amount. Frankly I'm offended that anyone thinks this recipe could work [Wink]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jar Head, are you talking about me or the others? Because I did think about something like that when I posted, but I am not concerned because homeland security will find it pretty hard to find someone more in favor Bush's policies.
So it's OK that the secret police are listening to you, because you never say anything disloyal? [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm... dioxen

Now THAT could wipe a city out in a small amount.

[ December 01, 2004, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Only if you want to wipe out the dogs and rats. Dioxins are far more toxic to dogs, rats and guinea pigs than they are to humans. They are dangerous, but it would take quite a bit to wipe out a cities human population.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

quote:
So it's OK that the secret police are listening to you, because you never say anything disloyal?
Exactly!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.