FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why did bush win? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Why did bush win?
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Well all the information I found agreed with your (like the link I posted), so I'm admitting I'm wrong. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shear
Member # 7093

- posted      Profile for Shear   Email Shear         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay Dragonee let's do math! I say: 1/3rd. 1/3 = 33.3%. You say but it's only 23.9%!
quote:
As it is, you overstated the case by 20%, so your example with a roughly 4% overstatement doesn't seem very applicable.

WOW I guess I was really only about 10% off.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]

For somebody complaining about people talking about statistical errors...

*boot to the head*

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Nevermind. It's not worth it.

[ December 04, 2004, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now, I just want to say, everybody seems so against Bush being the president? why is that?
Actually, a lot of us were for Bush being president. That's why he won in the first place.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hobbes,
At night major cities would close their doors. This was mainly to keep out anything unwanted. The eye of the needle was a small door, usually on a different side of the city, the would permanantly stay open, so that travelers would not have to stay out of the city at night. The door was large enough that the camel could, concievably, crawl through it on it's knees, but it was difficult to get the camel to cooperate. The phrase implies that rich man 'is' the camel, and heaven 'is' the eye of the needle. It's concievable, but not likely.

I guess you didn't see the whole conversation between Hobbes and Dagonee where there was shown to be no evidence for that story of the "eye of the needle" being a doorway, didya?
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

RRR -- I think you must have imagined Peter's post.

As did I.

[Mad]

[ December 04, 2004, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Peter, that's what I thought, but after doing some research it looks like that wasn't the case, or at least there's no proof. Apparently the first reference that can be found to this "eye of the needle" as a small door was in the 9th century, but nistorical (textual) evidence nor archealogical (ruins with a small door by the gate) bears it out. I guess that's not proof that it isn't true, but it makes it unlikely. Some suggestions are that the word for camel and the word for rope are very similar (and apparently, in one of the "more orginal" languages the same word), and thus it would be hard to get the rope through the eye of a needle, but once again, not impossible. One final interpreatation is that it's impossible to get in to Heaven because of your wealth (where as sometimes a person's worthyness was based on wealth), only by accepting Christ could one reach Heaven. I love the scriptures. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
And Hobbes, too.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Apparently.
Hobbes
Member # 433

Hmmm, apparently Peter left, well if it helps there's apparently one possible example of "eye of the needle" door, but it looks like most people don't think that's what was there, and only the lack of recources of the Russian nation allowed that idea to be perpetuated.

Hobbes [Smile]

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we turn this into a pun thread about camels and needles? I'm feeling like it's reaching that point when the sharpness of people's opinions are reaching the top of a hump.

[Wink]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I'm having tons of fun here with this scripture, there's so many layers you never hear about! [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry Hobbes; the point of your post wasn't lost on me.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I'm begining to agree with the final answer, that the rich young man was asking what he could do to reach Heaven, and basically Jesus says, nothing, you'll never reach it because of what you can do, it's as ridiculous as getting a camel through the eye of a needle, come unto me and you shall recieve exalutation.

Here's another good article about it. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

quote:
So it's impossible for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God, that is, if he is going to remain rich in his own resources, if he's going to remain rich in his own good works, in his own things which he has done which he believes ought to merit God's favor. These things are an impossible means by which he can go into the Kingdom of Heaven.
From here

Hobbes [Smile]

[ December 04, 2004, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

From the New Testament Apocrypha

quote:
The Saviour appeared in the form of a boy of twelve years, wearing a linen garment 'smooth within and without', and said; Fear not: let the needle and the camel be brought. There was a huckster in the town who had been converted by Philip; and he heard of it, and looked for a needle with a large eye, but Peter said: Nothing is impossible with God rather bring a needle with a small eye. 17 When it was brought, Peter saw a camel coming and stuck the needle in the ground and cried: In the name of Jesus Christ crucified under Pontius Pilate I command thee, camel, to go through the eye of the needle. The eye opened like a gate and the camel passed through; and yet again, at Peter's bidding
Hobbes [Smile]
Hobbes
Member # 433

OK, I'm done. Thank-you all for your attention.

Hobbes [Smile]

Shear
Member # 7093

- posted      Profile for Shear   Email Shear         Edit/Delete Post 
I was making the statistical correction because that's all that other guy talks about. God damn it why won't you people talk about the real issue at hand [Wall Bash] Please someone just tell me why they wanted bush to win. I'd enjoy talking about that instead of why my statistics are slightly off. Thanks a bunch guys! By the way im playing violent video games so ill check back in about an hour. peace.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Peace, eh?

Hobbes [Smile]

Teshi
Member # 5024

Oh all right- needles and camels it is. I just had to make that post. I feel special when I actually have puns to make [Big Grin] .

EDIT:

quote:
Please someone just tell me why they wanted bush to win.
Ah! Here is the real question, and in eleven words. Shear, if you want to rifle through the forum and find the threads on this topic you are quite welcome to [Smile] .

[ December 04, 2004, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Okay Dragonee let's do math! I say: 1/3rd. 1/3 = 33.3%. You say but it's only 23.9%!

quote: As it is, you overstated the case by 20%, so your example with a roughly 4% overstatement doesn't seem very applicable.

WOW I guess I was really only about 10% off.

Try doing the math right.

If you say there are 30 people, and there are really 20, then you've overstated the number of people by 50%. Why? Because 10 (the overstatement) is half (50%).

Similarly, going from 24% to 30% is an increase of 6%, or 25% of 24.

Edit: And comparing it to 33.3% instead, it's a 38.9% overstatement.

Dagonee

[ December 04, 2004, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I was making the statistical correction because that's all that other guy talks about. God damn it why won't you people talk about the real issue at hand [Wall Bash] Please someone just tell me why they wanted bush to win. I'd enjoy talking about that instead of why my statistics are slightly off. Thanks a bunch guys! By the way im playing violent video games so ill check back in about an hour. peace.
Once again, the statistics are still being discussed because YOU seem incapable of simply moving on.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Dag., just let him play his games. All he wants is people to bicker with, that should be very clear...
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was making the statistical correction because that's all that other guy talks about. God damn it why won't you people talk about the real issue at hand Please someone just tell me why they wanted bush to win. I'd enjoy talking about that instead of why my statistics are slightly off. Thanks a bunch guys! By the way im playing violent video games so ill check back in about an hour. peace.
Now the thread is why did you vote for Bush? Because originally I thought it was why did he win. I'm not trying to argue semantics here because those are two separate topics. Personally, I voted for Bush because I agreed with him more often than I agreed with Kerry.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Personally, I voted for Bush because I agreed with him more often than I agreed with Kerry.
That's crazy talk, nfl. It must be because you're an Evangelical Christian!

Dagonee

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

A lot of people already answered your question over here. That's where my answer is.
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
I think democrats should definately stick with what they really believe in, even it means not winning some.
Of course, I dislike George Dubya. Of course, I dislike Dick Cheney. Of course, I'm very upset Kerry/Edwards didn't win. Of course, I was upset Edwards wasn't the democratic candidate in the first place. Of course, I'm upset Ralph Nader is allowed to repeatedly run and take democratic votes. Of course, I have issues. [Smile] [I'm also upset about Rice..but that's a whole 'nother can o' worms.]
There's always the next election!

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and see if I can defend his argument.

From www.adherents.com:
Christianity - 76.5% of the US adult population in 2000
Non-religious/secular - 13.2% " "
Judaism - 1.3% " "

This is by self-identification.

I searched for a long time for facts and figures on fundamentalist christianity in the US and could find little or nothing. I found many definitions of it, but they all said it was a difficult thing to define, and an even harder thing to track number wise as many people who might fall under the definition would never admitt to it do to its rather negative connotations. I found an esimate somewhere that was stated to be "a very conservative estimate that at there were at the least 30 million fundamentalist christians in the US". That translates into about 10% of the total US population.

The US Census Bureau

In 2000:
Total US Population: 281,421,906
Us Population eligible to vote: 209,128,094 or 74.3%

They estimate the current US population to be around 294,000,000 it is probably safe to assume that the percent of the population eligible to vote is still around 70%.

From
CNN.com

From
Slightly under 60% of eligible voters(around 120 million people) in the US turned out to vote in 2004. Which means about 40% of the total US population voted.

The article states:
quote:
"On both sides, the presidency of George Bush was a lightning rod," he said. "For those who supported him, they supported him for traditional values, strong leadership, the war on terrorism and some rejection of things that the Democrats advocate," such as abortion rights and gay civil unions.

"On the other side, it was the war on Iraq, debt, the feeling he hadn't been candid with the American people, too conservative values and division in the country," Gans said.

Hm... Ok, so some of his statements seemingly are right. At least he WAS right about Christianity making up the vast majority of the US population.

So his argument, the way I read it, was that it was 'moral values' inspired largely by christian religious belief that won president Bush the presidency in 2004.

From the above data it is very possible that this is indeed the case. However, I couldn't find any data anywhere to unarguably support or refute it. I know many people who self-identify as christian but who are as liberal as I am and find it disgusting that people voted Bush in on issues such as gay civil unions/marrige and abortion.

The general opinion in the media however does seem to be that the election was won on 'moral values' and that Bush managed to bring out enough of the 'religious right' vote to counter act the huge liberal vote that Kerry managed to raise. This is just going from things I recall reading around election time, I could go and dig up the articles if people would like, but I just spent an hour combing the internet for information and am a tad burnt out on that level.

Conclusion: his argument states what seems to be the general media opinion, but I could find no statistics to prove or disprove it. It is plausible from the avalible statistics.

Now I'm just going to state my own opinion, assuming that the general media opinion is true:
WARNING: Ranting contained within
If people voted for Bush on the abortion issue, well I can respect that. While I myself am pro-choice, pro-life views are views I can respect. While I disagree that it should be made law I can entirely understand where they are coming from. Now the anti-gay marrige/civil unions DISGUSTS me. I have ABSOLUTELY no respect for people who want to ban gays from civil unions or marrige. Especially when they use stuff from the bible to support their arguments for making a constitutional gay marrige ban. HELLO? Separation of church and state? Making a constitutional amendment based on stuff in the bible in a country that supposedly has separation of church and state? Wtf? If you want to ban your churches from giving gay marriges fine, but the government issuing gay couples marrige licenses is COMPLETELY different, and religion should have absolutely NO say in it. Thats the government issuing a state benefit to a significant part of its population. Gays should get the same benefits as everyone else! CONSTITUTIONAL GAY MARRIGE BANS ARE EXAMPLES OF LEGALIZED CONSTITUTIONALIZED DISCRIMINATION AS BAD AS DISCRIMINATION AGAINST BLACKS OR JEWS!! The fact that many religions preach otherwise AND THAT PEOPLE BELIEVE makes me lose a lot of repsect for the religions preaching it and the people believing it.

[Mad] [Mad]

End Rant

[ December 04, 2004, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: Alcon ]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
I have ABSOLUTELY no respect for people who...
So if people disagree with you on this one issue, nothing that they have done is worthy of your respect?
Alcon
Member # 6645

If you follow the rant, I say why. Its not just a matter of disagreeing on issues. I have a great deal of respect for people who disagree with me on issues (though I know I don't always show it when I get into arguments [Roll Eyes] ), I just can't respect people who discriminate based on things like race, gender and sexual orientation, and these people are trying hard to legalize discrimination. Hence cannot respect them. And I did warn I was ranting [Wink]

Edit: Ok, now I see what you are saying. Well, I respect them a great deal less than everyone else. Becuase it takes a lot to make up for discriminting against people based on their sexual orientation(or race, or gender) in my mind.

[ December 04, 2004, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: Alcon ]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Let me put it in another way. If they have this one character flaw (as you see it), that makes them ABSOLUTELY unworthy of any respect as human beings?

I'm assuming that what you said is hyperbole. I'm realy just pointing out that it is.

Alcon
Member # 6645

Look up, I editted. [Wink]

And yea, I was ranting. I have yet to meet someone with this view who I could really respect, but I suppose its entirely possible that I could. But in the general case I have little to no respect for these people and their arguments.

I suppose I should shut up now before I make even less sense, as my brain is rather wiped from all the fact finding and net finding I did earlier, which now seems to have been ignored becuase of a ranting paragraph below. [Wink]

[ December 04, 2004, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Alcon ]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I can understand if you totally cannot respect the action. But when you say that you when people have X quality, they are not worthy of respect, you are doing the exact same thing you are accusing others of doing.
Alcon
Member # 6645

You have a point. Which is why I do try and take people one on one when I meet them. It is possible I'll meet someone with that quality that I can respect, it just has yet to happen.

And those people that I haven't met, well I can't very well judge them individually can I, at least not until I meet em.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

But you've already judged them generally. Or, at least, you sounded like you have.
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the inherent contradictory problem: If all Christians believed the things they do because of their religion then why did Bush only capture 51% of the vote? Shouldn't it be closer to 70, especially when some people who aren't Christian, like myself, vote for Bush?
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Well, becuase that 40% of the country that actually voted doesn't necesarily have to match the countries religious, ethinic, and economic break down. It may be that only only say 60% of that 40% of the country that voted was christian (rather than the 70% you might think it'd be).

However, it is also the case that just becuase someone is christian they may not have had those values and voted Bush. I know of many, many christians with which this is the case. Including some gay christians.

So in short, the data above shows that its plausible that it could have been the christian vote on values, but it can't really be proved or disproved.

To MPH: I have made a general judgement, but I reevaluate it with every individual I meet. It happens to be the case that I have yet to meet an individual that fit held the belief that didn't also end up fitting the general judgement. But I may eventually meet someone whom I can respect in general that holds that belief. ...thats not to say I'll respect the belief and won't try and change it though [Big Grin]

Really if you think about it we all have to work this way on things we feel strongly about. Make a generally judgement about something, and then reevalutate it for every individual we meet. And I am now rambling

Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
If 24% of Americans are Evangelicals, then 76% are not. Thus, I think it's safe to say that non-Evangelicals probably decided the election.

But if you ask me, I suspect the most important statistic is the percentage of people who don't understand the situation in Iraq, the motivations of terrorists, and the relationship between Iraq and the War on Terror. I suspect the reason Bush won is because that number was too high.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Bush won because enough Americans DID understand the situation in Iraq, the motivations of terrorists, and the relationship between Iraq and the War on Terror.

Dagonee

Dagonee
Member # 5818

The Anatomy of Myth

quote:
Here's the simple fact: The evidence that moral values determined the election rests on a single dodgy exit poll question. And it's not at all clear that more voters are preoccupied with moral values now than were fretting about "family values" on Election Day 1996, when exit pollsters included that phrase in a question about "priorities for the new administration." But in the often arid and repetitive arena of American political ideas, fun new contestants can be hard to disqualify. The myth of the moral values election is proving hard to snuff out.

The mantra was in full hum on election night. Television commentators were understandably struck by the results of the question asked of almost 7,000 voters as they left their polling places: "Which one issue mattered most in deciding how you voted for president?" The most cited issue on the list of seven options offered to those surveyed was "moral values" at 22 percent; 80 percent of these voters went for President Bush, 18 percent for Democratic nominee John Kerry. "Economy/jobs" came next on the list at 20 percent, followed by terrorism (19 percent), Iraq (15 percent) and then health care, taxes and education in single digits.

Brian Healy was the CBS News producer covering the exit polls, something he has done in many elections. He recalled that everyone was surprised that moral values topped the list as the numbers came in, but it wasn't until about 4 a.m. that someone quite innocently asked, "What exactly are 'moral values'?"

Too late. The story line was already set. And the surprise nature of the moral values result boosted its allure for the commentariat. When the newspapers could finally write definitive headlines, the notion that moral values was a synonym for various conservative positions became a given -- as did its decisive effect on the outcome of the contest. "Faith, Values Fueled Win," reported the Chicago Tribune. " 'Values voters' key to Bush re-election," declared the Fort Worth Star Telegram. "Moral Values Decide Election," the Tri-Valley Herald in northern California told its online readers.

From the modest experiment of one exit poll question, a Unified Theory of Election 2004 was hatched. Pundits began to spread the word. "Ethics and moral values were ascendant last night -- on voters' minds, in Americans' hearts," William J. Bennett wrote in a column posted in the National Review Online at 11:09 a.m. on the morning after the election -- even before Kerry's concession and Bush's victory speech.

Later in the same article:

quote:
Now, to the hard question: Are there more values voters than there used to be?

In 2000, the consortium that ran the national exit poll did not list "moral values" as an option on their issues menu. At that time, it would have been seen as a question about Bill and Monica, and so pretty useless. So it's hard to know whether the slice of the electorate concerned with such matters has grown during President Bush's term.

We do know that in the 1996 question about the next administration's priorities, "family values" was tops for 17 percent (behind the winner, "health of the economy," at 21 percent), and that group largely went for Bob Dole. So you could argue that the 17 percent whose top worry was family values and went heavily Republican turned into 22 percent worried about moral values in 2004. That's a slight shift, but hardly a cultural tsunami -- and remember, no one asked these voters for their definition of family values then, or moral values now.

Nonetheless, analysts have been surfing on tidal-wave conclusions. It has become a breast-beating crisis for Democrats that the values voters who were 22 percent of the electorate went for the Republican by a crushing margin, 80 percent to 18 percent. By that logic, it must follow that it's a crisis for Republicans that the 20 percent who care most about the economy and jobs went 80-18 for the Democrat.

Or perhaps it's a crisis for the Republicans that the 45 percent slice of the electorate that describes itself as moderate went for Kerry 54-45? Or that first-time voters went 53-46 for Kerry? So many crises, so few facts to support them.

Voting behavior does divvy up Americans into certain patterns. Rural residents and heavy churchgoers vote Republican. City people and church-avoiders vote Democratic. But these cleavages have persisted in several elections. Moral values didn't just seep into the drinking water.

Yet the myth persists. Sometimes it's perpetuated by partisans claiming that Democrats are hostile to values voters. "There simply aren't enough voters in Berkeley, Santa Monica, Santa Fe, Manhattan and Cambridge to offset the many concerned evangelicals, Catholics and Jews in the rest of the nation for whom moral values are a determining issue," wrote Richard A. Viguerie and David Franke in a Nov. 15 Los Angeles Times op-ed.

Dagonee
Dagonee
Member # 5818

More from the Post, by Steve Rosenthal the chief executive officer of America Coming Together and the political director of the AFL-CIO from 1996 to 2002. He worked on get out the vote campaigns for the Democrats.

quote:
We've done a post-election poll of 1,400 rural and exurban voters in Ohio counties that Bush won by an average of 17 percentage points. Their answers, and a closer look at other poll data, explode a few widely held theories about what happened.

The first myth: Many more churchgoing voters flocked to the polls this year, driven by the Bush "moral values" and the gay marriage referendum.

Reality: The 2004 election brought no increase whatsoever in the portion of the voting electorate who attend church on a weekly basis or more often than that, according to exit polls. In Ohio, the share of the electorate represented by frequent churchgoers actually declined from 45 percent in 2000 to 40 percent in 2004. Nationwide, Bush improved his vote among weekly churchgoers by just one point over 2000, while increasing his support among those who don't go to church by four points.

So how could religious voters have been the basis of Bush's victory, at least in Ohio? Answer: They weren't.

Second myth: The Bush campaign won by mobilizing GOP strongholds and suppressing turnout in Democratic areas.

Reality: Turnout in Democratic-leaning counties in Ohio was up 8.7 percent while turnout in Republican-leaning counties was up slightly less, at 6.3 percent. John Kerry bested Bush in Cuyahoga County (home of Cleveland) by 218,000 votes -- an increase of 42,497 over Gore's 2000 effort. In Stark County (Canton) -- a bellwether lost by Gore -- Kerry won by 4,354.

Third myth: A wave of newly registered Republican voters in fast-growing rural and exurban areas carried Bush to victory.

Reality: Among Ohio's rural and exurban voters, Bush beat Kerry by just five points among newly registered voters and by a mere two points among infrequent voters (those who did not vote in 2000).

Fourth myth: Republicans ran a superior, volunteer-driven mobilization effort.

Reality: When we asked new voters in rural and exurban areas who contacted them during this campaign, we learned that they were just as likely to hear from the Kerry campaign and its allies as from the Bush side. (In contrast, regular voters reported more contact from the GOP.)

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Bush has quite clearly shown us post-election where his foreign policy lies: with Rice, who deliberately mislead the 9/11 commission, and Rumsfeld.

I think those people who saw a more tempered foreign policy before the election can take a good guess from these choices at what sort of foreign policy Bush prefers. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Bush won because enough Americans DID understand the situation in Iraq, the motivations of terrorists, and the relationship between Iraq and the War on Terror."

Says a Bush voter, of course. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Of course. In response to a non-Bush voter who made a similarly broad statement. [Smile]
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the symmetry beautiful? [Big Grin]
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

And I was honored to be a part of it.
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
Not going to argue about math and percentages, that requires too much thought on a Sunday afternoon (and frankly it scares me a little [Angst] - don't want to make a silly mistake [Big Grin] )

In regards to the Camel through the Needle's Eye part of this thread; I always imagined Jesus was making a funny. I think he was being sarcastic. I imagine that sometimes he grew weary of trying to explain everything. Maybe it is just a biblical idiom. I imagine that if Jesus were walking the Earth today he might say something to the effect "Look guys, I heard it straight from the horses mouth, you can trust me on this". Then 2000 years from now people would be arguing about the impossibilities of equine speech!! [Smile]

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
i think everyone is missing the real point here, Kerry lost due to his allying himself with John Melloncamp
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
babager: [ROFL]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.