FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Video game questions

Author Topic: Video game questions
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
So I just bought an Xbox for my kids for Christmas. I need some help here, because I'm new to the game console thingy.

First, can I rely on video game ratings? Is it really safe for my kids if it has an E rating, or do I need to examine each and every one. I'm just trying to avoid excessively gory violent depictions.

Secondly, what is a good game to buy my husband? He likes war stuff, he really liked playing Tom Clancy's Ghost Force Recon on the PC. He also liked Half-Life. Any recommendations for something good?

Oh, and don't tell me it was a mistake to buy an XBox as opposed to PS2 or anything. I have my reasons. And they have something to do with being able to buy XBox games directly from The Evil Empire at a fraction of the cost. [Evil]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*loves Belle* You're hilarious. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

- posted      Profile for LockeTreaty   Email LockeTreaty         Edit/Delete Post 
When looking at ratings on a game, don't just check the general rating. Just like when purchasing a movie, it is more helpful to look at the specifics about what earned it its rating (simulated violence, etc). But, in general I find that most games are rated fairly, if not given a harsher rating than they deserve. But that's just my opinion.

For your Husband...Halo 2.

Posts: 129 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shear
Member # 7093

- posted      Profile for Shear   Email Shear         Edit/Delete Post 
You can usually depend on the ESRB ratings ( Here . As for your husband, if he liked ghost recon, he may really enjoy ghost recon 2, or the very famous Halo2.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You can generally trust game ratings.

If your husband liked Half-Life, and enjoys online play, Halo 2 is currently a very popular FPS for the XBox. (If you want to get him a PC game, and your machine can handle it, get him Half-Life 2 and he'll love you forever.) I've also found that Christy and I really enjoy X-Men: Legends, mainly because we can generally play together except during the really dull single-player segments. Fable's also a great game, although I'm not sure how your husband would like it based on what you've said so far.

(In general, if he likes FPS, he's better off with PC games instead of XBox games unless your PC is very old.)

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, we bought an Xbox last year for our kids. Not only were they cheaper, but the games are IMO, a lot more kid friendly than those offered for the PS2.

Just for reference, my kids are 9 and 6. It's pretty safe to rely on the letter ratings for the games. We always buy the "E" games and have never had a problem. Some of the "T" games are ok (in my opinion) as well. For those I would definately check the back to see why it's rated "T." Also, if you buy them from a small store usually the employee can tell you more about the game. Hope your kiddos enjoy playing!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Halo 2 is an amazing game, but the XBox controlers SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK when playing FPSes. The day they invent a keyboard and mouse for the XBox is the day I will rule Halo 2 servers [Razz]

I'm actually considering some how juryrigging one... any idea's on how to go about doing this? I have several extra keyboards, so losing one isn't a problem. (my mom has a habit of bringing home all the outdated computer equipment from her lab that would otherwise be junked [Big Grin] )

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Never mind, just found something. If your husband is a PC gamer, you might also consider getting him this:

A Keyboard and Mouse Adapter

Which will allow him to connect a PC Keyboard and Mouse to the xbox, and kick poor normal controller users sorry rear ends [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
lol... Now Alcon, what was that you mentioned about ruling my servers? [Taunt]
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Once I get that adapter you and I can go, and we'll see just how long you last [Taunt] [Taunt]
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
If you get him Halo 2, he should play Halo first. He should be able to pick up the plot, but it will be easier if he's played the first game.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
may I just say that I think it would be hilarious to see alcon and stryker playing halo 2 and find out which one won.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, I believe that the XBox has a built-in content guard, if you don't want your kids playing violent games. In the dashboard menu, there's a content protection menu option. Since I'm not a parent and don't feel like inhibiting myself, I've never looked into it.

That way, you can buy your husband Halo 2 (which is awesome, although a bit short) and keep your kids from playing it by accident or whatever. You might want to buy your husband Ghost Recon 2 for XBox, too, since I heard it was pretty good.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
In Everquest, it was always easy to destroy people in PvP who didn't use the mouse for direction.

I could generally melee them to death with getting hit at all.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
First, can I rely on video game ratings? Is it really safe for my kids if it has an E rating, or do I need to examine each and every one. I'm just trying to avoid excessively gory violent depictions.
If it's only excessively gory depictions you're trying to avoid, you would be pretty safe with 'E' ratings. 'T' ratings have a few games you may find offensive (Starcraft comes to mind because I was just playing that, but that's for computer). There are a few 'E' rated games that have language (things like "ass" or "hell") and I have played a few that had, like, people in bikinis, but not much else. If you're fine with PG-rated movies, you'll probably be fine with E-rated video games.

For your husband, Halo & Halo 2 are musts. I don't know if it's physically possible to buy an Xbox and not own Halo within two months. If it is possible, it shouldn't be.

[ December 05, 2004, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Goat? You play Starcraft? Do you do battlenet?

has anyone played fusion frenzy for Xbox? That game is fuuuuuun.

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually like the xbox controler for FPS. It takes a little getting used to, but I really loved the controls for Halo (I have not played Halo 2 yet...I am asking for it for Christmas)

Games I loved on xbox
Ghost Recon
Ghost Recon: Island Thunder
Halo
Splinter Cell
Buffy the Vampire slayer (the first game was great, the second sucked)
Madden (no consol collection is complete with out Madden football)

Ghost Recon 2 and Halo 2 are also out. I have not bought them yet though, so I can't comment on how good they are.

Your husband should like those...I can't help you with kids game though. I have never tried any of those games. Of course, if they like sports Madden 2005 would be fun.

[ December 05, 2004, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Lupus ]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

kaioshin, I played it today for the first time in, like, a year and a half. And I just played the Terran campaign. I used to play on Battlenet, but I'm scared of all the updates I'll have to download if I play it now. [Angst]

And I agree with Lupus. I really like the Xbox controller for FPSs, too.

Oh, and Belle, you might think about buying your husband Timesplitters 2. It's fun, and it's old, so I'm sure you could find it for $20 if you looked.

[ December 05, 2004, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
If your husband likes fantasy at all (how could he not? [Big Grin] ) then Fable is a must have. I don't ahve an XBox, but that game was enough to make me wish I had gotten one insted of my PS2.

Also, Halo2 is great, and the original Halo is now a value buy, so it won't be expensive to purchase both so he can play them in order.

The ratings all have the reasons for the rating listed, usually, so parents can make their own decisions..for the most part it sems that the ratings are pretty accurate.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Goat ... you'll only have to download 1 [Smile]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Well, I mean, I'm afraid of how long it will take to download that.... "1"...
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=msc0411p

Windows version 1.11b Upgrade Patch (Includes previous fixes)

[Original] (3.2 MB)

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Starcraft will always have a home with nerdy teenage boys.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

You got that right.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I've ever played on Xbox is DDR, but it's definately amazing. The only problem is that you have to get the pads as well, but I think you can get soft pads for about 20 dollars. I don't know about what ages it's appropriate for or anything, though.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Get DDR to offset the inevitable drop in athletic activity that your kids will get upon getting the Xbox. [Razz]

Plus DDR's a fun game. [Big Grin]

Edit: My roommate's found PS2 pads for 10 dollars, but I'd spend the extra to get the really nice ones that would last longer than a few months.

[ December 05, 2004, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband hates fantasy! We're a marriage of opposites in a lot of ways.

I'll have to be on the lookout for language problems too - I didn't think any E games would have curse words, that's good to know.

My daughter loved playing Spyro the Dragon on my parents playstation, so I guess I can get her the new Spyro games that just came out.

My husband played Halo with his nephew when we visited them this summer, so I guess I should get it and Halo 2.

I don't think the XBox will result in too much lack of physical activity - we only have one TV, so it's on the main family television and can only be played with parental consent. We're modeling our XBox control on what my brother in law's family does - there is a strict time limit on each playing session and all homework and chores must be complete before one can play at all. That includes me. [Big Grin] I am, after all, the one most likely to start playing and wind up playing for hours on end without noticing the time.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
It's possible Da_goat, it's possible.

It happened to me. [Grumble]

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

quote:
I don't think the XBox will result in too much lack of physical activity - we only have one TV, so it's on the main family television and can only be played with parental consent.
With all the fighting that's sure to ensue with a system like that, I can only imagine the physical activity will increase. [Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.