FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Devistation in the Philippines

Author Topic: Devistation in the Philippines
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
TIME magazine article

[Cry]

This happened right through the area where I served my mission. I feel so helpless. I wish there was something I could do. Over 1000 dead and more missing. Mudslides that have swallowed up homes, roads, bridges. There is a series of photos that you can link to from this article that show some of the extent of the damage.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, beverly, I'm so sorry. But you're not helpless. I'm sure the Red Cross is on its way in as we speak. As soon as they can shovel the mud off the road, they'll have food and clothes for the survivors. Any disaster relief organization would be glad for any donation you could spare. You can help. Heck, you've been there on your mission. You already have, and (in my opinion) in a far more important matter than food.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The church's humanitarian relief fund will also help, I'm sure. When you pay your tithing next, you can give a donation of whatever you can afford to that, and be assured that it will get where it's needed.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
The Red Cross... that sounds like a good lead. I have been trying several different avenues and so far have come up with nothing that can get stuff specifically to the Philippines.

I like the idea of LDS humanitarian aid, but from calling them it appears impossible to request the items donated to be sent to a specific place. They go where they are requested. Not a bad thing, but it means I can't send anything specifically to the Philippines.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
You might do a Google search for Fil-Am associations who might have better connections for getting aid packages to specific locations.

This is the Atlanta chapter.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.