FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Vacation: December 17 - January 3 - Little money but lots of time; what do I do? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Vacation: December 17 - January 3 - Little money but lots of time; what do I do?
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I think a good, fair place for all the Utah, Montana, and Portland people to have an event is in Boise.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[*snort* This was directed to Pop.] Did you want to suggest any place closer to you, as an alternative? There must be parks out that'a'way too. [Wink]

[ December 08, 2004, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the next international Hatrack event should be in Ames, IA.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
There's this park about six blocks from home. Cool play equipment and swings....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if everyone's okay with Griffith Park, it's far enough I feel like we'd be doing our share of commuting, central enough that everyone could find it, and close enough we could make it after church, no problem.

But if anyone else wants to come, speak up. We can move it. Or do it a different day (weeknight, right?). [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Pop, does it have a picnic area?

[ December 08, 2004, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
And where is "home"? Malibu area?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Yeah -- a few of them. BBQs and everything. Big grass area for croquet or ultimate, though golfing is prohibited. And there's a hospital only a few blocks away in case of major injury. Always nice in a pinch. And a Domino's across the street, I think.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Papa, I really need to know how far we'd be going...
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

It's entirely unreasonable for me to think that people would come to the park six blocks from my house. I assumed we were joking.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

But it sounds so nice...

I used to drive out to see my friend in Pacific Palisades; it was about a 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive, but gorgeous.

But if it's that far, are you okay with Griffith Park (if you're home)?

[ December 08, 2004, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Absolutely.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Shall we plan for that, then? What time? And shall we meet by the carousel, or what?
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

There's a carousel?

If we're at home, we can hit the early church service and be done by 10:30, so any time around noon or later is good. Just let us know, and make sure I have someone's cell number so I can call to tell you we'll be late but we're on the way. That's important.

rivka
Member # 4859

It's been a LONG time since I was at Griffith for anything other than the zoo or a museum. I'm going to need to be reminded where "near the carousel" IS, please.

As for time, maybe early afternoon? I'm not sure if I'll have th kids that weekend (schedule currently in flux due to ex's multiple work-trips in the next month), and if I do, we'll be coming from gymnastics . . . oh, no, I bet they don't have that on that particular weekend.

Um, but either way, early afternoon seems likely to work to me. One-ish, maybe?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We don't have cells right now, but we could borrow my dad's or step-mom's or mom's or whatever. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Yes, there's a carousel. And pony rides. Not that we'll be doing that on Sunday, probably, but still beautiful and fun. (I think it's one of those famous carousels, I forget who by.)

Our church goes from 11 to 1, so we couldn't be there earlier than 1:30 or 1:45, depending on traffic. Is that too late for you all? If you had kids that needed feeding, you could start eating without us.

I forget where the carousel is exactly; shall I get directions from my dad and post them? He gives excellent directions. (Please tell me which freeway you're coming in on and from which direction.)

rivka
Member # 4859

1:30-ish or two-ish works too. [Smile]

It is apparently a Spillman (who?) carousel. [Dont Know]

And I think I can find it. [Smile]

Ah . . . and now I even figured out how to get the map (which clearly is marked "merry-go-round") to link properly.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, we're set then: around 1:30 pm or so, Jan. 2, somewhere by the carousel (maybe we should have a sign or something? or rivka can just stake out a spot and everyone else can go around asking people if they're her), bring a lunch or snacks, anyone who will be in the LA area is invited. In case of foul weather, I guess we'll work something out and post it in case anyone else wants to show up.
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*jealous too*

Although I'm still laughing at Ralphie's post on the previous page. [ROFL]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Sorry we hijacked your thread to plan our own get-together, Katie... Are you going to go see Annie?
rivka
Member # 4859

Nah, she should come here, and we can do something with her the week before. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yes. Yes, she should. But I think she was worrying about the long trip for a short stay.
rivka
Member # 4859

*goes to shorten roads*
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Magic Mountain is empty January first? (Or was this the "sarchasm"?) WDW is freaking mobbed on any holiday! (GAH!)
Icky, it's empty. This will be the fifth annual trip to Magic Mountain, because on January 1st, it's EMPTY. *dances* It's empty for two reasons:
1. The season passes for the previous year expired the day before, so no season pass holders, and...

2. It's Pasadena, CA on New Year's Day. The tourists are all at the Rose Parade. When you don't care a filip for watching flowers march by, it's the perfect day to ride the Batman four times in a row without getting off. [Smile]

---------

Okay. I have to be in Utah on January 2nd. I don't know how I can swing that with being in the park on January 1st. [Frown]

I need to talk to my college friends. But, but, but...a shinda!!

Montana and Boise are indeed very close to Utah... [Smile]

[ December 08, 2004, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Can't you just teleport yourself from one place to another to be with everybody? [Wink]
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
January 2 at Griffith Park is duly noted. Will try to get there if the weather is cooperative. [Smile]
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*pout*

Lots of time, but still not enough. Stupid VacationDaysDon'tCarryOverIntoTheNewYear.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Magic Mountain on Dec 26th is also extremely empty. Or did we go on the 24th?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Does anyone know if Disneyland is crowded right around Christmas? Like, the 27th?
rivka
Member # 4859

I believe it tends to be pretty crowded then, yes.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, that's the only day we can go with my step-sister and -brother-in-law, so that's when we're going. Just wondering.

Maybe we'll get lucky and it'll rain.

[ December 09, 2004, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

rivka
Member # 4859

LOL! Could happen. [Big Grin]
katharina
Member # 827

So, this thread prompted a shinda in Southern California? On the 2nd? That's going to be fabulous and include rivka and the Meese and KQ and there's going to be sunshine and possibly those animal face plates again?

*sniff* I loathe you all.

I can't come. I need to be in SLC on January 2, so I don't think I'll be going to SoCal at all this break. Have fun without me, though. [Smile]

*goes off to send some e-mails*

[ December 10, 2004, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

rivka
Member # 4859

Well, we'd love to see you too, Katie. If not on the 2nd, then on some other date.

But I do understand that it is a LONG drive. So maybe another time? [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Aww, Katie, if you can make it earlier in the week, we'll reschedule, or have two, or something. *likes Katie*
katharina
Member # 827

KQ, you are darling. Thank you. I don't think I can come to SoCal at all, because I'd be traveling with a group from Salt Lake, and the key to the trip is being at Magic Mountain on January 1st. I've missed the MM trip for the past few years, but can I tell how much I love that I know it will happen again next year?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay. *feels less guilty about hijacking thread to plan own stuff*

*still likes Katie and wishes she could make it* [Smile]

[ December 10, 2004, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
You should come here.

*wants to meet Kat!!!!!*

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

rivka, I thought of you and our discussion about restaurants-- we're looking for somewhere to go tonight, and I found a kosher Indian vegetarian place. If you ever come out here, I'll take you there...
rivka
Member # 4859

*drools* Sadly, we haven't had one of those around here in ages. Where do you live again?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Right outside Dallas proper. In Texas. Come see us sometime!
rivka
Member # 4859

*smacks forehead* Right! You're part of kat's clump. [Wink]

*finds relevant list* So . . . let's see, you went to Madras Pavilion, in Richardson?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That's the name of it, but we didn't end up going there. My husband wanted Italian instead. [Frown] I'm thinking next time I want Indian, though, we'll go there so I can review it for you. [Wink]
rivka
Member # 4859

Mmmm, good kosher Italian restaurants we do have around here. [Smile] Looks like there's one in your neck of the woods, too. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, Campbell's not too far. Shall we try that one out for you, too? We want to make sure that if you come out to visit Katie (since she wants to see you) and Catherine and me, you'll have plenty of places to eat.

[ December 11, 2004, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

rivka
Member # 4859

*giggle* Katie and I have met. It's hard not to, when you share a hotel room. [Wink]

Hmm, Dallas. I think I know other people there . . . maybe I'll come out and visit, sometime. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

And I knew that... I meant it in the sense of "get together to see each other", and should have said "see", but I am kinda tired, I guess, having been out all afternoon-- with Katie and Catherine. [Big Grin]

There, it's fixed to make more sense.

And you should totally come out, it's so much fun to visit different places.

[ December 11, 2004, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

rivka
Member # 4859

*jealous* Sounds like fun.

Too bad it's such a long drive . . . but I'll definitely put it on my list of places-I-should-totally-visit. [Big Grin]

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

<Updated Shinda info posted in this thread.>
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.