FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Happy Chanukah!

Author Topic: Happy Chanukah!
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
*hands out potato latkes and jelly donuts*

[Party]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
*looks around*

No halvah?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I like neither latkes nor jelly donuts, Happy Chanukah! [The Wave]
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, I loves jelly doughnuts and potato latkes.

Totally off topic, did you happen to see Joan Of Arcadia last week? The one where Grace had her Bat Mitzvah? I told my husband that it was just like I remembered it. Except it was a lot longer and really hot. It reminded me of my brother's Catholic wedding. I didn't understand a word of it either, but it was nice and the food and party afterward was fun. I never really thought I'd ever equate my brother's wedding to a Bat Miztvah, but there it is. [Wink]

Happy Chanukah!

[Party]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, we had a fun Hanukkah celebration tonight! Turns out the first night of Hannukah also happens to be Mark's Jewish birthday (which is much better than his regular Christmas birthday.... :-P ), so I hung up a little "Happy Hanukkah!" banner in the kitchen, dug out the menorah and the Big Book of Hanukkah, and surprised him when we got home with the beginning of his 6 or 7 nights of birthday presents: pairs of Belgian beers that you can't get in the US. He was happy. [Smile]

Oooooohhhhhh dreidel dreidel dreidel......

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it Hannukah or Chanukah? What's the difference between the spellings?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
*looks around*

No halvah?

Well, Dag, halvah isn't exactly a traditional Chanukah food, but it just so happens I have some halvah - plain, chocolate covered, and halvah with pistachio nuts in it. Just for you. [Wink]

*brings other donut varieties for those who don't like jelly donuts*

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Chanukah is supposed to be pronouced with a sound not found in the English language. The "ch" represents that.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
It's Hanukkah or Chanukah. And the difference is the C at the beginning and the double k in the middle. [Wink]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Oh! Did Dag mean Challah? Because at first I had no idea what he was talking about. If he still means something called "halvah" I've got no clue what that is.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Halvah is a kind of candy, made primarily of ground sesame seeds and honey. Dagonee likes it quite a bit, I believe. Too bad he didn't come to KamaCon -- I brought bunches.

I think he was busy that weekend . . .

A freilichen (joyous) Chanukah to all, no matter how you transliterate it! [Big Grin]

!חג שמח וטוב
!א פריילכען חנוכה

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Hmmm, maybe its one of those things that I'm familiar with, but just didn't know what it was called. Oh, well.
Ela
Member # 1365

How did I end up starting two Chanukah threads? [Confused]

And they both got responses. [Razz]

rivka
Member # 4859

The board is doubling and tripling posts, including first posts.

Weird, neh?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Very weird.

So Hatrack is doing that? I didn't double post when I wasn't looking? [Wink]

Ela
Member # 1365

Very weird.

So Hatrack is doing that? I didn't double post when I wasn't looking? [Wink]

Ela
Member # 1365

I swear I didn't hit send more than once... [Angst]
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Worst. Dobie. Ever.

I mean, it's not even a pun; it's the same freaking thing! And no link! And NOT FREAKING FUNNY!!

I swear, the abuse of dobies has gotten to a very sad state.

::shakes head::

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Dweeb. *smirk*
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

LOL at Icky. [Laugh]
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Chag Sameach. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*rubs eyes*

Happy Chanukah, everyone. [Smile]

*steals a latke*

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Mmm...Latkes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. [Wink]
Raia
Member # 4700

I haven't had any latkes yet. [Frown]

I have, on the other hand, had about 5000 sufghanyot (jelly doughnuts)... so um, yeah. [Blushing]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

No latkes yet here, either. (Although there's talk of making some as part of tomorrow night's supper.)

But I bought jelly, chocolate, and vanilla custard sufganiyot today, and we had some tonight. Yum!

Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
<joins the party late>

<puts Adam Sandler's "Chanukah song" in the CD player>

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm late, but wanted to wish Happy Chanukah to all my Jewish friends. May your holiday season be filled with blessings and good cheer. [Smile]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

[The Wave]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Chanukah!!!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I like egg bread. That's a Jewish food, right?

What are "latkes"?

<--Is suddenly ashamed of how little he really knows about Judaism.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Latkes (potato pancakes)

quote:
I like egg bread. That's a Jewish food, right?
If by "egg bread" you mean challah (which can be made with or without eggs, but is more commonly made with), then yes. [Wink]
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Latkes are fried potato things.

By "egg bread" I assume you mean challah, so yes.

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Challah. That's it. Good stuff.

Those latkes look pretty tasty, too. [Smile]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*twinkle* nfl, "fried potato things" sounds more like a description of french fries -- or potato chips. [Big Grin]
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

[Dont Know] Eh, I like pancakes, but I don't really like latkes.
Raia
Member # 4700

I had pancakes this morning!

But now I get the very daunting task of grating potatoes and onions for about 200 latkes... fun!

I love latkes though, so eating them will be worth it!

Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm, latkes. [Smile]

Happy Chanukah!

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I had latkes, sufghanyot, and even a sweet squash souffle (sp) last night.

And a regular jelly donut today [Smile]

Mmmm...

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I love latkes! We didn't call them that growing up, and we're not Jewish and never have been, but still. . . love love love 'em!

Halvah - also love. Chocolate or plain, I'm not pickey. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Chanukkah, y'all!

Between Hebrew School parties, faculty parties, department parties, and student parties, and finals, I am exhausted. Only 4 more to go.

One of the Hollins girls asked me for a latke recipe for the student party on Sunday. I can look one up online, but I bet y'all have fabulous recipes - how about posting them?

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Click on the candles. [Razz]

And a happy Chanukah, again. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

*laugh* That's adorable, Ela! [Big Grin]

For anyone who wants to sing along, here are the transliterated lyrics (and a translation).

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmmm jelly donuts!

*snort* (I thought this was funny in a silly way)

[ December 10, 2004, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Hmmm... [Monkeys]
rivka
Member # 4859

Ooops! I meant to post a link to my favorite latke recipe. I'll be making some of these tomorrow. The extra effort of separating and whipping the egg whites is well worth it!

Hope it's not too late, Mrs.M.

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not too late, rivka, thanks!
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.