FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help me plot my professional life (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Help me plot my professional life
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
As an English teacher, I did buy into Chomsky's (and other's) ideas. I have learned better in the years since, from seeing the accomplishments of Cor's students, who benefit from the grounding she provides in formal grammar and structure.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*chuckles*

My 8th grade english teacher threw up her hands in despair at my ability to parse a sentence -

she did allow, however, that I wrote beautifully, spelled beautifully, structured my writing beautifully . . .

and it could only come from reading as much as I did . . .

(grin)

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(Did I correctly understand what it was you were asking?)
Yes, thank you.

I did learn the basics of grammar all through school. However, none of this has really stuck. Since I'm considering a career as a teacher, and that may include English, I'm wondering if I was going to get taught it again sometime.

I guess I just kind of missed out or didn't pay attention.

I still don't understand this thing called a comma splice... [Dont Know]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

A comma splice is when you join two independent clauses with a comma, this sentence is an example.

You can fix this by placing a conjunction after the comma, or you can fix it some other way.

You can also fix this by using a semicolon; I like semicolons.

And, of course, you can always split it into two sentences. Sometimes simplicity is the best answer.

[ December 09, 2004, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to be an editor until I realized that my serious lack of any understanding of the English language pretty much killed that plan.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

This killed my music career. [Frown]
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I already killed my music career....

*tries to write a comma splice*

"Peter went to the store, he bought some eggs."

Is that a comma splice?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Yep.

Fixed:

Peter went to the store, and he bought some eggs.

Peter went to the store; he bought some eggs.

Peter went to the store. He bought some eggs.

(Alternatively, the thoughts could be conveyed in some other way than as two independent clauses. "Peter went to the store and bought some eggs.")

Each variation sets a subtly different tone. The first one sounds pretty normal to me. The second adds a dramatic terseness. Maybe Peter has gone to the store to buy eggs immediately after discovering his wife having torrid sex with another man in their bedroom, and he is in a state of shock, and just trying to go through the motions of ordinary life. The third sentence could have been written by Ernest Hemingway, or by a fourth grader. Maybe Peter will meet a disillusioned but sophisticated divorcé at the store, or maybe he and the store owner will go hunting.

[ December 10, 2004, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Icky, I write pretty well, and some of my stuff was published as a college student....one of my teachers submitted two of my papers to a competition for a student/teacher anthology and both made it in.

A lot of what you have said about how people learn grammar and usage makes a lot of sense, and it also explains why I am able to write pretty well, better than a lot of my classmates, but I have problems with spelling. I picked up a lot of my writing style and tone from reading a ton of different books, but never spent any time on the more formal aspects of writing...not because I was lazy but because the other parts of writing, the creative aspects of it, are so much more interesting than the dry rules of grammar and usage.

Your mini-essay on the first page was excellent, and made a lot more sense than what I had been thinking.

Thanks.

Kwea

[ December 10, 2004, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
If you wish to learn grammar, take a foreign language. I personally recommend Latin, which is also a dead language, but I think any declined language would do. You become much more aware of parts of speech, though Latin uses no punction at all, so I have to watch myself to make sure I don't write run-on sentences. I had one that went on for half a page in an essay the other day, but it still doesn't compare to Cicero where two, three pages can by with only one real verb governing a host of relative and subjunctive clauses.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.