FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ignore Global Warming

Author Topic: Ignore Global Warming
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
The Crichton article reminded me of something I've been wondering about lately ... Global Warming has become such a huge public issue these days, that it has kind of overshadowed the body of other environmental issues, at least for the common couch potato like me.

But I know Hatrack is just filled with loads of people who are actually capable of keeping themselves informed about things other than video games (which is about the limit of my expertise), so here's my question. If I don't want to worry about Global Warming at the moment, what should I worry about instead? Two issues have recently caught my attention:

1. Oil depletion. It's going to get increasingly scarce, and unless we convert our economy over to some other primary fuel source, the costs are very quickly going to become prohibitive. Unless we address this early, we might face some harsh economic times before we're forced to find a solution.

2. Deforestation. The recent storm in the Philippines brought this one into the forefront of my mind. Not that I think we're in immediate danger of running out of trees — but thoughtless and ill-planned logging can create snowballing environmental problems in local areas that threaten lives and species.

What other problems am I missing? And do you have anything to add to the issues I just mentioned?

[ December 08, 2004, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Puppy ]

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Gravity fluctuations.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that the North Pole is melting far faster than expected. This will cause the climat in the Netherlands to become colder, because we won't profit from the warm streams in the North Sea anymore.
And it also means the sea level will increase more than expected over the next 100 years, so our country will be in serious trouble.
So that is what I worry about.

[ December 08, 2004, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: ginette ]

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Strains of pan-resistant bacteria

Decreased pure water supplies

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
80% of the krill are gone, thus threatening the whale, seal, and penguin populations of the antarctic.

Antarctic wildlife facing food shortages

I don't know what the ramifications are for us, but usually when one aspect of the environment is thrown out of whack, there are ripple effects. I just find it amazing that 80% of the krill are gone. That and the temperature in the Antarctic Peninsula has risen 2.5 C. That's what, like 5 degrees for those of us not using the metric system? That seems alarming.

Though I thought I read somewhere, maybe an OSC article, about how the global warming might actually be preventing us from entering another ice age. Ahh, yes, here it is. It's almost at the bottom of the article. (Okay, that's not exactly what he said, but it was from memory! Here is the exact quote. "And for all we know, the greenhouse gases we release might actually be the only thing that might prevent the onset of the next Ice Age, when the astronomical cycles once again cut back drastically on the number of solar calories reaching Earth." It's weird that I can remember that particular article and I can't remember what I watched on TV last night.)

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
If I type this then aka won't have to:

An Asteroid is Gonna Hit the Earth!!!

[Razz]

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
"Everybody Loves Raymond" is still on the air.
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
  • topsoil depletion
  • mercury and other toxins in foodchains
  • reduced fertility rates in industrialized countries
  • ozone depletion
  • reality TV gains popularity
More later.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Magnetic pole reversal
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hungry.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read in a book that there are Jebusites, who lived in Jebus:"Jebusites the name of the original inhabitants of Jebus, mentioned frequently among the seven nations doomed to destruction [by Joshua's armies]" http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/jebusites.html

edit: Or apparently, there were Jebusites. Jebus202, are you the Last of the Jebusites?

[ December 08, 2004, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang. I hate that stupid show.

I worry about certain animals going extinct. Like cheetahs.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FriendlyNeighborhoodWitch
Member # 6317

- posted      Profile for FriendlyNeighborhoodWitch   Email FriendlyNeighborhoodWitch         Edit/Delete Post 
This webpage.

I am seriously concerned about the content of this webpage and the mental health of those that created it.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.