FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » WenchCon - attendance roster (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: WenchCon - attendance roster
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, I took AirTrans to the last Wenchcon. I was supposed to have a non-stop flight down there, but they added a stop on the day of the flight, which caused me to get in later than planned. If I was just traveling on my own I wouldn't have cared, but I was meeting folks at the airport and I was worried the entire flight because I didn't have anyone's phone number, so I couldn't call them and let them know I would be late. So it added some unneeded stress to the trip. I also got on the wrong plane going home, because they had two planes with similar destinations leaving within ten minutes of each other on two consequetive gates. I swear, the doors were ten feet apart, at that. We did figure it out before the planes took off, but in my mind, it should have never happened. I mean, why didn't the flight attendent catch it when I turned in my boarding pass? So everything did work out okay, but I wasn't too impressed with them. I might end up flying them again if they're the cheapest, but if I have another choice I'll probably choose the other carrier.

MLK is rather close for me. I was hoping for later than sooner so I could save up some more money. That being said, I could probably come as the airfare isn't bad at all right now. I need to sit down with the numbers again and figure everything out.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Morbo, it took falling on my head and hurting my neck while snowboarding to stop me. [Wink]

It IS kinda weird that a year after the time I first learned how I fence, I've become an advanced fencer.

Sweet!

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, i came in to wenchcon blind last year. im not a nerd and i still had fun...
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm not a big LOTR fan, either. In fact, I'll be horribly out of my league in that area. But I'm sure it will be fun, anyway.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, I probably won't be able to sew for myself or Katie if we go that weekend, either. [Frown]

[ December 12, 2004, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

Spoke to Olivia. She is all about MLK Weekend at Wingate. so its done. she will call the hotel this week.

word, bit...er...wenches.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Nerd.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I am planning on attending WenchCon.

I would like to drive, but I'm not sure where I'm coming from. If coming from D.C., I can drive. If coming from Oberlin, I'll have to take a plane, unless I can carpool with someone from the Ohio area, which is unlikely.

No special accomodation needs. No preferences in accomodations. Yes, I am interested in sharing a room.

[ December 12, 2004, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: CalvinMaker ]

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

You think you have your own car?

Did you misplace it?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I don't know if I'm going to be able to make this one. My husband pointed out that we're not getting back from our trip to CA until the 5th or 6th; it'll be a lot to travel that much with Emma. She'll only be 9 months old. I'm still going to try to make it (one good thing is that it does look like there are some cheap fares right now), but if I do, I may be spending most of the weekend with a crying, clingy, fussy baby. [Frown]
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You think you have your own car?

Did you misplace it?

Nah. I'm pretty sure my car is roadtrip worthy. I just want to check before I say for sure whether I'll have a car for this trip or not.
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeesh, xnera. Sounds like they were NOT so good last year. Do you know if they were new then, and might be better now?

Because they were, I think, the only ones who were nonstop AND had flights the right time of day, unless I wanted to pay lots more. *ponders*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Ponder on AIM.
Ben
Member # 6117

wenchcon = about a month from now. Ben = Stoked.

...nerds.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

So, it's definitely MLK weekend? I guess I'll try to buy tickets this week.
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't go that weekend [Frown]
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't go in January.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That's very sad. [Cry]
katharina
Member # 827

It's too soon. No time to save, and it's too late to get cheap plane tickets. MLK weekend makes it very, very expensive for everyone who would have to fly.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

this has been looked into. there are still plenty of affordable flights.

those that can make it, please please come. but this is a weekend that will work best for more people i think.

that is all...

SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES!

katharina
Member # 827

Ben, six people who planned on going have posted in this thread that it doesn't work for them.

There isn't - for the three people flying out of Dallas, there aren't cheap flights.

You can schedule it for whenever, but no, it doesn't work for everyone.

[ December 13, 2004, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, the cheapest I've found is $244.
Ben
Member # 6117

Kat. $94 on airtran one way. thats less than 200 roundtrip. not shabby. for that weekend out of dallas.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That doesn't include taxes, fees, and security fees. They bump it up to more than $220. I checked into that.

[ December 13, 2004, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

katharina
Member # 827

That's barely a month away. There's no time to save. Why does it have to be so soon? It makes it a clump gathering - only for those who live close enough to drive.
Ben
Member # 6117

i've observed that this weekend works better than any in March. it's a 3 day weekend., by my count there are 11-12 people who have said this weekend works for them.

there were plenty more conflicts in march than there are here.

i think this is the best it will get.

and i think it will be fun.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

When did we rule out May?
katharina
Member # 827

There were more conflicts in March? Six people in one page have said that January is a NoGo. There were that many that said that about March?

When did we rule out May again?

Ben, you live there. Of course it's easier for you. It's not okay for a lot of people that have wanted to go from the beginning.

Ben
Member # 6117

No one weekend in march worked for anybody. there were previous engagements for a lot of people in march so no one weekend worked. this weekend does not seem to offer any conflicts other than it being "soon".
katharina
Member # 827

That's a real conflict. Too soon to save money and plan is a problem. The first weekend in Marche worked for the vast majority, and the second weekend in March worked for a slightly different vast majority. January does NOT work for the vast majority.

"Soon" is a big deal when you don't have money to travel that quickly and it's less than a month away. Me, Coccinelle, ElJay, Taalcon, Miro, and KQ have all said that if it is in January, we can't come. Do you just not care about that?

Ben
Member # 6117

i never said that. Kat, this isn't personal. i know for a fact the second weekend in march didn't work for several people, i was under the impression that first weekend was an issue too.

Something to take into account for MLK is since it is as early as it is, hotel rates will still be low. it's a 3 day weekend, and flight rates will still be low due to it being a "low travel" time.

something to take into account for March is more time to plan, since it is so far in the future you may be able to get good rates for hotel, but i dont think flight rates will be as low (i could be wrong), but you also get less time due to no 3 day weekend.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Some people are going to have to take off work whether it's a 3 day weekend or not. And sometimes you get a discount, but sometimes plane fares are higher for vacation weekends, depending on where you're coming from and where you're going.
katharina
Member # 827

What was wrong with the first weekend in March? I know of two people who said they couldn't come then, which is sad, but that's not nearly the six people who have said that January is out.

It isn't minor. It's two weeks after Christmas with less than a month's notice. You don't have to buy a plane ticket - of course it works better for you. Why not do it the first weeknd in March?

You're blowing off everyone who says that money is an issue and it's too soon to plan. Why not plan for May, then? January is too soon. You are blowing off everyone who has posted saying it's too soon.

It would be nice if it works, but it doesn't.

Ben
Member # 6117

i dont think you are going to get a round trip ticket for less than $200 either weekend. i could be wrong. i just think it will be cheaper MLK.

i would love for as many people to come as possible. but well, last year i think we had about 17 or 18 people (i may be undercounting) and we had a lot of fun. i think we could get 15+ people this year and still have alot of fun. even MLK. Kat, i'd love to see you, i'd love to see Dave. i think you are both hella rad. but i'd also love for people to spend MORE time with each other and a 3 day weekend would facilitate that. i think it would be great if you guys could be there, however.
(yes, i know many people have to work MLK, but if you did take a trip, wouldnt you have asked off anyhow? with a 3 day weekend less people would HAVE to ask off)

Ben
Member # 6117

its actually a month's notice. not less...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

But 6 weeks is the optimum time to get discount airfare, so it's still really soon.
katharina
Member # 827

WHY does it have to be that weekend?

What's wrong with a weekend in March? The college students have spring break, and the people who work have more time to save.

I'm sure it will be fun no matter what. It's just more than a little rude to exclude everyone who has said they would like to come by deliberatlely scheduling for when they can't, so you can have fun.

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
kat, I think a good way to look at this is that the Atlanta people are hosting. Hosts decide when they want to throw a party, guests decide if they can come or not. The host might check to see if a particular date is better, but when it comes right down to it they have to make the decision.

MLK weekend is what Olivetta wanted to do from the beginning. Ben too. They considered changing it to accomadate some of us, and there really wasn't concensus on a good substitute weekend. So they went back to the original plan.

I can't come because I already had plans. *shrug* I'm disappointed, but I'll see y'all at the next party. There will be more.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*shrug* Okay.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Katie, maybe we should just start planning DallasCon. I mean, if it's decided, it's decided. I'm bummed, but hey, it's not my choice. I agree it's kind of upsetting and inconsiderate, but, well, it's not our decision.
Ben
Member # 6117

ok, here is what i think will happen. people will still have issues with location, transportion, and dates until the whole thing gets cancelled. i don't think it will get any easier in settling on a date. so that's what im trying to do. Our hostess is more than happy to do it MLK. she is willing to put forth the work and effort to get it done in time. this date works for her. You are right it would be great if everybody can make it, but that won't be the case regardless of when it will be. i personally think Wenchcon worked great with the turnout it had last year (while i had nothing to compare it to, it seemed everybody had a good time).

Long story short, since this works for her, and it's her baby, i think it would be an ideal weekend. The woman has said on more than one occasion she kind of wishes she could wash her hands of it (i'm paraphrasing). Regardless, i think MLK will be fun with the folks who DO show up, and i think it will be great.

Here's to MLK.

[ December 13, 2004, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Ben ]

katharina
Member # 827

KQ, it's fine.

[ December 13, 2004, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

No, really, though, we should, since we won't get to see everyone this time. Maybe later in the year, they can come see us. [Smile]
katharina
Member # 827

*hug* You're darling.
ElJay
Member # 6358

1. Sooooooo, katie, does this increase the chances you can make the henna party? I can't offer garb, but we could go watch bellydancing if you want.

2. May would be a lovely time for a DallasCon.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oooh! Ooooh! That's what I want for my birthday (May 21), Hatrack! DallasCon!
katharina
Member # 827

Yes, actually this radically ups the likelihood of me being able to come to Madison in February. [Smile] Bellydancing and henna sound lovely.
ElJay
Member # 6358

Good. But I hope you decide to come to Minneapolis instead of Madison, 'cause that's where I live. [Big Grin] I don't know any bellydancing places in Madison.
katharina
Member # 827

*laugh* I can just see myself wandering around Madison, consulting the printed sheet of paper with the directions to your house, wondering why the river is in the wrong place.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Could DallasCon be a week later? May 27-30? It's Memorial Day weekend -- although that's not why it works better for me.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.