FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Deathbed Conversion? :p

Author Topic: Deathbed Conversion? :p
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Just too darn complicated.

It seems funny to me that after 66 long years of studying theology, this man just now decides that the universe is too complex to be without a creator.

(Leaving aside the issue of complexities in the idea of there actually being a physical force or being with enough complexity to create the universe. [Razz] )

I mean, he could've gotten a lot more attention if he had just told people that God had spoken to him.

quote:
Yet biologists' investigation of DNA "has shown, by the almost unbelievable complexity of the arrangements which are needed to produce (life), that intelligence must have been involved," Flew says in the new video,
I get it now. He's never heard of the weak anthropomorphic principle. [Razz]

(edit: Ralphie. I'm going to start using her name in every post to mess with her ego-search. And yes, Ralphie, I know you're reading this.)

[ December 10, 2004, 05:49 AM: Message edited by: Frisco ]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he's just trying to mess with people's expectations.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Found this one withOUT a name search.

So SUCK IT

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Conversion Pictures

Do you want to do conversions?

[Razz]

(Be nice - I coulda done a dobie.) [Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of an old story about an atheist French writer, I think either Voltaire or Rousseau. On his deathbed, he was begged to embrace God and renounce Satan. He replied, " At this point, I can't afford to make any enemies."
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
That's hilarious, Morbo.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

*bows* Thanks. I just hope I didn't misquote--if I did, no doubt the recent influx of French folk here will correct me.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

This thread also brings to mind famous last words. My personal favorite is dancer Isadora Duncan's: "Adieu, mes amis. Je vais la gloire."
(Farewell, my friends! I go to glory!)

http://www.corsinet.com/braincandy/dying.html
She said these words as she got into a convertible sportscar, then flung a scarf dramatically around her neck. When the car started off, the scarf stuck in the wheels or axle and strangled her.
It's just spooky how appropriate her last words were, though she had no idea she was moments from dying.
I read the story in Passages by Connie Willis, a very good sf novel about near death experiences. All the chapters were headed by Famous Last Words.

Morbo
Member # 5309

Others from the link:
Either that wallpaper goes, or I do.--Oscar Wilde

They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist. . . .
Killed in battle during US Civil War.
~~ General John Sedgwick, Union Commander, d. 1864

I am about to -- or I am going to -- die: either expression is correct.
~~ Dominique Bouhours, French grammarian, d. 1702

Anal to the end.

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Morbo, you'll love this thread: Famous last words.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Rebuttal

Anthony Flew rebuts the rumors that he has ceased to be an atheist:

Those rumours speak false. I remain still what I have been now for over fifty years, a negative atheist. By this I mean that I construe the initial letter in the word ‘atheist’ in the way in which everyone construes the same initial letter in such words as ‘atypical’ and ‘amoral’. For I still believe that it is impossible either to verify or to falsify - to show to be false - what David Hume in his Dialogues concerning Natural Religion happily described as “the religious hypothesis.”

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.