FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey kat! (Cub Scout Question)

Author Topic: Hey kat! (Cub Scout Question)
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve been contacted by some parents who are trying to get a Cub Scout group started, asking if our church will be the sponsoring organization. I’ve been skimming the official website, but everything seems to be in bullet–points or very short FAQ answers. Can you point me at something that tells me what all the responsibilities of a sponsoring organization are?

I was a Girl Scout, but we didn't have organizational sponsors, just a local council. [Dont Know]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me do some research and I'll post the links as soon as I find them. [Smile]

Added: The Boy Scouts is set up fundamentally differently from the Girl Scouts. There is no Boy Scout troop or pack that is not partnered with a local organization. In a way, the Boy Scouts just provide the curriculum and the record-keeping, and the local organizations provide the venues and the volunteers.

(Incidentally, this has a lot to do with why the politics of recent things has worked out the way it has.)

But I can find a better source of definitive information than what I've picked up around the office.

[ December 10, 2004, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

http://www.joincubscouting.org/startpack/index.html

That's the link to the "Start a Pack" kit - is that what you need?

I asked my boss where to look and he offered to talk to you about it, if you'd like. At first he said to call the council, but I didn't think you'd want to identify yourself as interested quite yet.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Thanks. I think the people who contacted me already have people to be on the organizing committee. In fact, I get the feeling they're already pretty far along in the process and are just looking for an organization to "sign on" to what they've already started. The guy I talked to basically said our only responsibility would be $20 a year and providing one person to be a liaison to their committee.

What I need to know is if that's true, or if we really should be taking more responsibilty than that if we agree to do this.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Hmm...so, you're looking for possible hidden requirements and the unexpected. For that, I don't know of a web page, but my boss is a twinkly-eyed sweetie who came from working in the local councils and would be happy to talk to you. Would you like to?

I called Relationships, but they are out on vacation today. There is a number for the United Methodist somethingsomething, and the lady there said her Boy Scout people were out today, but they would be back on Monday.

[ December 10, 2004, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

dkw
Member # 3264

I’m not so much worried about hidden requirements from the BSA’s end of things as worried that the guy who contacted me (not a member of our church) is wanting to use us to fulfill a requirement on paper without looking at the intent of the requirement.

It’s not that I think the church council will only do this if it’s easy, it’s that I want to make sure that if we agree to do it we’re doing everything we’re supposed to be doing.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.