FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Recipes for Hummus and Casseroles (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Recipes for Hummus and Casseroles
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quidscribis, e-mail sent. Please tell me if you don't get it, as I'm going out of town at 2 am local time on Sunday.

Oh, and I've now made my e-mail visible, as people are saying it doesn't work otherwise.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
ketchupqueen, email replied to. You should have received it by now.

Rivka - thanks for the info. I still think it's pretty incredible that it knows just exactly where to split to make the nice pockets. But now I'm going to have to give it a try. My obsessiveness won't allow me to let it go. [Grumble] [Grumble] [Grumble] [Grumble] [Grumble] @#$@!! you Rivka! What have you started? [Grumble] [Grumble] [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
So*, Jaiden, thanks for your recipe. I recently, as in, an hour ago, took it through its paces. [Big Grin]

I found tahini here about a month and a half or so ago - and boy, was I surprised! But the grocery store has been getting in more foreign food lately, so happy day, happy day!

Then I couldn't find chickpeas, or, as they're locally known, gram. I know they exist here - chickpea flour is available everywhere. So*, I just assumed the grocery store was out and kept looking. [Big Grin] I found some a couple of weeks ago. [Big Grin]

Happy day, happy day!

Now. I asked Fahim if he liked hummus. He said no. I told him I was making it anyway, but I wouldn't force him to eat any. Fine, no problem.

And this is where Jaiden's recipe comes in. [Big Grin] I made the following alterations to suit our taste buds.

quote:
Originally posted by Jaiden:
Hummus

2 c chick peas, soaked and cooked or canned, drained and rinsed
1 head garlic, minced (not enough - next time, I'll make it 1 1/2 or 2 heads of garlic)
1/4 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed (can't get lemons or lemon juice here, but lime is everywhere)
1/4 c water
2 T tahini (sesame paste) (I don't like an obvious taste of tahini, so I cut it down)
2 t cumin
1 1/2 Tablespoons chili powder (not the dark brown stuff you guys use for making chile - this stuff is bright red and analogous to powdered red chili peppers)

Fahim's comment? It's good. [Big Grin] I gave him a dollop - say, 1/4 cup. He wanted more. I doubled it. He was way happier.

Originally, I only added 2 teaspoons of chili powder, but it wasn't enough for him, which is why it ended up with 1.5 T of the stuff - much better, as far as we're both concerned.

And yeah, not enough garlic. Not by a long shot. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.