FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Out of Nowhere

Author Topic: Out of Nowhere
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
My dream job: To have a band of mine make it big.

Maybe this is the beginning?

Back home (D.C.), I've been in a band with some friends from High School. We've played a bunch of shows, in fact we have another one coming up on New Years. We have a couple awesome songs, but I've always felt that we've been slightly lacking. We have trouble getting large crowds, and we don't have a bass player.

I've tried to start a band here at school (Oberlin). I managed to get a lead singer, a bass player, a guitarist, a keyboardist, and myself on drums. Throughout the whole semester so far though, I hadn't had my drums with me at school, making band practice almost impossible.

Things seemed really bleak. Our bass player had seemed unmotivated to play in the band, our guitarist was always busy, and the drum situation was still there.

Things took a change this afternoon. I had found someone who was willing to let me use his drumset for a practice, so I had organized a practice for today.

Everyone in my band showed up...except for my bass player. Also, the practice room had been double-booked. Another drummer I've known since the beginning of school had also signed up for it, and was currently jamming with a bass player from his band, and my guitarist, who was waiting for the rest of us to get our equipment into the room.

We tried to figure out how we were going to get it to work, and the other drummer mentioned how no one else in his band had shown up either. So we decided to screw it and just have all of us play together.

Which was the best decision ever. We had a bass player, a keyboardist, a singer, a lead guitarist, and the other drummer and I switching off between drums and rythm guitar. We sounded incredible.

So we all decided to be a band. We've got so much variety in instrumentation, and after hearing us all today, I can definetely say we have a massive amount of talent. We jammed for a couple hours, and the music sounded mature and full. Much better than anything I could have played with my other band.

What happened today was exactly what was needed.

Isn't it great how sometimes, when you think life is constantly out to get you, things completely reverse and just fall into place?

[ December 12, 2004, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: CalvinMaker ]

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great Calvin!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome. [Big Grin]

I miss being in a band.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Fate. [Smile]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
sounds great! Congrats
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Calvin, that's great! Sometimes, all it takes for things to fall into place is us being open to the possibilities. [The Wave]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that's awesome! I can't wait to hear the results! [Smile] ))))))))))))
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]

Good for you!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
"We're jammin',
To think that jammin' was a thing of the past;
We're jammin',
And I hope this jam is gonna last."

Oh yeah, Calvin, when you guys become famous you MUST organize a Hatrack concert! [Big Grin]

quote:
Isn't it great how sometimes, when you think life is constantly out to get you, things completely reverse and just fall into place?
"Well life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
When you think everything's okay and everything's going right
And life has a funny way of helping you out when
You think everything's gone wrong and everything blows up in your face"

[The Wave]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Noah, that's awesome. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.