FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Christmas Movies

Author Topic: Christmas Movies
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I was watching ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’ yesterday, (and I've been walking around humming 'Let's kidnap the Santi Claws and put him in a sack' ever since) and it occurred to me that just about everyone has a list of movies which it’s just not Christmas (or Hanukah or Hogmanay or whatever it is that you personally celebrate) without. It doesn’t have to actually be about Christmas / your holiday of choice, but just something you associate with it.

Mine have to be:
‘It’s a Wonderful Life’ of course, and really anything else which is black and white and has Jimmy Stewart in it.

‘Little Women’ the newest one with Winona Ryder because the whole film just looks and feels like a great big glass of mulled wine.

‘The Muppet’s Christmas Carol’ because it’s not Christmas without Kermit.

‘Indiana Jones’ all of them, just because they always used to be on TV at Christmas.

‘Singing in the Rain’, ‘Casablanca‘ and ‘Some like it Hot’ same reason.

‘Gone with the Wind’ because it’s great to have an excuse to spend over 3 hours curled up on the couch next to the Christmas tree with an endless supply of hot chocolate. [Smile]

So what’s your favourite holiday movie?

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
A Christmas Story. (You'll shoot your eye out)
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
White Christmas. Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney, Vera-Ellen, Dean Jagger. Not to mention these characters are in world war II situations.
Overall A++.
Linkage: http://imdb.com/title/tt0047673/

This is one of the last christmas movies I like. I do like the oldschool movies though.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Charlie Brown Christmas

Christmas Story (although that did not happen until my senior year in highschool)

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Bella, now I'm humming it, too.

"Kidnap the Sandy Claws
lock him in a box.
Dig him up in fifty years
then see if he talks."

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, it's "The Nightmare Before Christmas." Or "A Muppet Christmas Carol."
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of "Mixed Nuts", but when I say that people either say, "I've never heard of that movie" or "oh, hm, that was a very ... quirky movie. Hm."
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to admit it, but I have this collection of recorded cartoons from Christmases past, such as "Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer", "Chipmunk's Christmas", "Sylvester and Tweety Christmas" and so on. I pull that thing out every Christmas but the tape is almost gone now. [Frown]

[ December 14, 2004, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
"A Christmas Carol".

Two specific versions of it. The one where Scrooge is played by Patrick Stewart, which I have on DVD and can watch at my leisure. And the one where Scrooge is played by Scrooge McDuck, which I usually miss because I never know when they're going to show it.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude! I'm a sucker for mixed nuts! how could i have forgotten about that one? up until two years ago i had it on VHS but no more. i need it on DVD for this year.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
‘It’s a Wonderful Life’ of course, and really anything else which is black and white and has Jimmy Stewart in it.
You just became my new best friend. [Wink]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Both versions of A Miracle on Thirty-Fourth Street (I like the new one better, but still have to watch the old one), and (ducks to avoid the insults and assaults) The Santa Clause. [Blushing]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
For some unknown reason, it became traditional at our house to watch The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence at Christmas. Because nothing says Christmas more than Lee Marvin being gunned down in the street.
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
On my husband's side it's tradition to watch some sappy piece of junk every year. That's because his uncle's kids aren't allowed to watch anything with nudity, violence (unless it's the Jackie Chan kind, oddly enough), blood, cussing, sexual innuendo, homosexual innuendo, bad-mouthing, sassing, not doing homework, being lazy, sleeping on weekends, or wearing boxer shorts.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
A Christmas Story
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. How I LOVE that movie.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hate to admit it, but I have this collection of recorded cartoons from Christmases past, such as "Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer", "Chipmunk's Christmas", "Sylvester and Tweety Christmas" and so on. I pull that thing out every Christmas but the tape is almost gone now.

Me too!
*runs off to find tape*

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Christmas Story
Say Anything
Christmas Vacation
almost any version of A Christmas Carol - I saw the musical version with Kelsey Grammer the other night and haven't yet decided if I liked it.

My son's list:
The Santa Clause
The Santa Clause 2
Prancer

My husband's list:
The Jesus Movie

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Nightmare Before Christmas
Scrooged

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot about Scrooged! I remember seeing that movie in the theater and how hard we all laughed. I'm a sicko, but my favorite part of that movie was when he suggested stapling the reindeer hats on the mice. I laugh every time. And one of my most prized possessions is a freezedried mouse ornament with angel wings. I love that thing. It, more than just about anything, says "It's Christmas!" to me. It sounds grotesque, but I love it.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Christmas Carol has got to be one of the most reused plots in holiday cinema. You ever seen that Lifetime one where Scrooge is a woman?

Me neither.

I love the Patrick Stuart one, and the Muppet Christmas Carol. A Christmas story is good too.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Our family tradition is Scrooge, the musical starring Albert Finney.

That "Thank You very Much" song gets stuck in my head for days.

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Christmas Eve:

Cartoons: Father Christmas, The Snowman
Movie: White Christmas

"Scrooge!" which has, in fact, been mentioned. In the post above mine. La la la [Monkeys] .

[ December 14, 2004, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

- posted      Profile for Cactus Jack           Edit/Delete Post 
Ernest Saves Christmas.

No, I am not kidding.

I need at least one dose of it before I can become one with the yuletide, know what I mean?

Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Nightmare Before Christmas of course... Of course, I'm more for Jack's Lamnet or making christmas...

"Making chirstmas making christmas la la la!
It's time to make them something fun
they'll talk about for years to come
let's gather around everyone!"

Hm, what else...Elf
Santa Clause
How the grinch stole christmas (Original)

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
"Kidnap the Sandy Claus!" For me, it's not Halloween without watching Nightmare Before Christmas.

I have only thing that I must watch for it to be Christmas - the Claymation Christmas Celebration. There are several others that I almost always watch: How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the Boris Karloff one - I'm afraid to see the Jim Carrey one), White Christmas, and It's a Wonderful Life. But it just isn't Christmas without Meistro Quasimodo and the Philadelphia Bellharmonic. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... is it a bad thing if I've never seen "The Nightmare Before Christmas" before? Seems like everyone here has seen it and liked it.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a bad thing, it would only be a good thing to watch it. [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a new Christmas tradition in my family that we watch "The Dead." It's this wierd movie about a party in London at the turn of the century. At first, it appears to have no plot, but every time I see it, more interesting things come out of it.
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate The Nightmare Before Christmas.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen The Nightmare Before Christmas.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm. The only hannukah movie I can even think of is 8 crazy nights, and I hate adam sandler enough that if he were in my living room, I'd shove him out the 5th floor window.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, I thought I'd be the first to mention Ernest P. Worrel!

My favorite is "It's a Wondeful Life!" It gets to me every time.

I also like the "Muppet Christmas Carol"... "Light the lamp, not the rat! Light the lamp!!" [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Muppet Christmas Carol...Deffinately.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
Christmas Ape
Christmas Ape Goes to Summer Camp

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Lord of the Rings
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer...the Burl Ives one...and The Grinch Who Stole Christmas...the original animated version...it's just not Christmas until we've seen those...
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Elf will be a Christmas Classic in a few years. It's really a great movie.
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

How about Olive, the Other Reindeer? Anyone other than me seen that one?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.