FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Partypoker.com

Author Topic: Partypoker.com
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard some of you talking about Partypoker.com before. I'm interested, but I'm also feeling a little paranoid. Can anyone out there give me any reassurance that there's no spyware in their poker client?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't you like to flush out all the spyware from the poker site? That would be straight up, yo.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll direct Strider to this thread when he gets back from his meat-space poker game. He's The_Shogun on partypoker, and he's made a good deal of money playing there.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad plays there constantly. I don't know anything other than that though, I assume it doesn't have any spyware.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never found any spyware from partypoker on my computer. On the other hand, I don't play with real money there, and that involves more information going to them.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I run ad-aware weekly and I have never picked up any strange ad/spyware from Party before. I also run Zone Alarm while I play, and I haven't received any weird requests to access the internet.

If you run any type of poker stats software like pokertracker or poker office, those software constantly try to access the internet for no good reason. I stopped using them because I was suspicious that someone is using them to hack into my system.

I think the biggest risk with online poker is when you deposit money. NEVER give out your checking account number to these poker rooms. Even though Party Poker is "regulated" by a gaming commission, that gaming commission is not recognized by the Canadian government.

Having said that, I still play at party and I love it. There are some real morons on that site just waiting to give away their money. [Smile]

The most secure website is probably William Hill poker, because William Hill is one of the top 100 companies on the London Stock Exchange and subject to British regulations. But be wary of telling other players that you are American though, I ended up having to leave the rooms a bunch of times due to "political" differences. [Wink]

I am leader_board on Party. Richard Berg is TrickyDickBe, I believe. [Smile]

P.S. If you haven't signed up yet, I have some bonus codes you can use.

HATRACK: $25 bonus upon first deposit.

HATRACK100: Matches 20% of your deposit, up to $100.

HATRACKWPT: Gives you a free entry into their World Poker Tour satellite games. /shameless plug.

Personally I would not go with the WPT bonus one, that one is for suckers. [Razz]

[ December 17, 2004, 02:37 AM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Leonide, can you tell Strider I added him to my buddy list? (I'm Leader_board)

I don't want him to think I'm some sort of psycho stalker or anything. [Smile]

[ December 17, 2004, 02:39 AM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
On a related note, myself and a few friends are headed down to Foxwoods the day after Christmas (evening), if folks are in the area, maybe we could play aat the same table, and you could take my money.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to play with friends, there's no reason to give the house a cut of each pot. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
It's all about the atmosphere [Smile]

And the free drinks. [Wink]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
And the one drunk stock broker from the city who might sit at your table. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

quote:
There are some real morons on that site just waiting to give away their money.
Like me, for example. [Smile] Fortunately I'm not playing for real money.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

BTW, I'm msakaseg on partypoker. Apparently they already had a saxon75 (first time that's ever happened to me).
saxon75
Member # 4589

So far, most of the people I've played against play like one of my RL friends. I've mostly been playing at 5/10 Hold-Em tables (having discovered that I'm only slightly terrible at Hold-Em, rather than being completely hopeless like I am at Stud), and almost no one folds before the flop, regardless of what's in their hands. You see people raising and even re-raising before the flop even when they've got like a 2 8 off suit. On top of that, it's basically impossible to bluff because people always call. I reckon a good poker player would just clean up at that sort of game, but for some reason it confounds me.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wouldn't you like to flush out all the spyware from the poker site? That would be straight up, yo.
[Big Grin]
[Kiss]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are some real morons on that site just waiting to give away their money.
I know several guys who sit at home and play PartyPoker all day, and make their living that way.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

I'm not good enough to make a living of it. But I can always make a couple of hundred bucks on the weekends, when people are especially drunk.

Bok, good luck on the tables buddy. Just remember your holiday spirit and leave the other players enough gas money to get home. [Wink]

I'll look for you on the playmoney tables Msakaseg. [Smile]

[ December 17, 2004, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.