FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Baking advice

Author Topic: Baking advice
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a recipe that calls for biscuit mix, and the box I have is ancient, over 5 years old, so I think I'm going to toss it and not use it. I have all purpose flour, self rising flour, Crisco, eggs, milk, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. What combination of these things can I substitute for biscuit mix?

For one cup of biscuit mix might I substitute 1 cup of self rising flour plus 1 heaping tablespoon of Crisco, if I mash the Crisco all into the flour with a fork until it's coarse crumbs?

Also, can't you substitute all purpose flour plus baking powder plus salt in recipes that call for self rising flour? How much of each do you use?

Bakers of hatrack, what is the answer? I have no doubt that my solution is to be found here! [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn, my wife left work for the day or I'd ask her.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Food Network's website could tell you [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Bisquick mix substitution

But Food Network would be awesome, if you have the time to play around. I'd recommend Alton Brown and Sara Moulton for anything, and I bet Pamela Dean would have some wicked Southern biscuits. [Smile]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking Alton Brown. That style of cooking and baking would suit Anne Kate perfectly. [Smile]

Sara! Get out of my head!

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Oh I definitely want to watch his show! I almost bought the dvds of the first season. Sara has already given me a great longing to watch that.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

If

1 cup of biscuit mix =

1 cup of all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp shortening

Does this mean that 1 cup of self rising flour =

1 cup of all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

?

GZ
Member # 6077

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
1 cup self-rising flour = 1 cup all-purpose flour + 1/2 teaspoon salt + 1/4 teaspoon baking soda + 1 teaspoon baking powder
Posts: 14 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I used self rising flour plus 1 tablespoon (more or less) of shortening to substitute for the baking mix and the muffins seem to have turned out great. I say "seem to" because I'm just going by visual and olfactory clues. I can't eat the things. <laughs>
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet, baking is an art. You did the right thing!

Yaay for yummy muffins! Although I'm sorry you couldn't enjoy them, too.

[ December 17, 2004, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
If you make biscuits, use lard instead of shortening.

Trust me on this.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to use lard every chance I get. It makes me feel all Mexican.

When you deep fry things in lard, it makes your whole house smell like a burning pig!

[ December 17, 2004, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Annie ]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sweet, baking is an art.
No. Cooking is an art. Baking is a science.

-o-

Cooking with lard every chance he got led to my father's partial angioplasty (they had to stop halfway through because his heart was too unhealthy to continue) and disability. I'm not saying not to do it at all, but do it in moderation.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No. Cooking is an art. Baking is a science.
I entirely agree. This is why I can't bake.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

But Annie, Science is also an art! [Smile]

Cooking is just like building anything else. Part science and part magic. [Smile] There are certain things that are done empirically. If mom said grandma said to do it like that then you just do it and don't question. They know it works even if they don't know why. Engineering has lots of these empirical rules in it too. You just do what works, quite often, and nobody really understands why. It's amazingly conservative, since making something that falls down or breaks and kills people is expensive not to mention rather embarrassing. [Wink]

But the science part is great too! I love learning why things happen the way they do, learning the chemistry behind cooking.

I prefer vegetarian biscuits, so I use Crisco. I once had some made with lard, though, by a lady in Opelika, and I agree that they are wonderful.

I do always use real butter in my baking instead of margarine. Real butter makes cakes and cookies turn out so much better. They have a much better consistency and taste both. I would never ever use margarine anymore for anything besides sauteeing. Butter burns too easily for me to sautee things in butter.

[ December 17, 2004, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
If you clarify your butter it'll have a higher burning temperature.

Or use olive oil...mmmmmm...

The only thing I use margarine for is grilled-cheese sammiches. And even then it's only because butter is so expensive.

[ December 18, 2004, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Yeah, butter does cost more and go bad quicker too. I keep it in the freezer except for one stick. But wow does it taste better!

I loved it in "I Capture the Castle" when Cassandra, bemoaning having to eat margarine with her bread says "Thank heavens there is no cheaper form of bread than bread." [Smile]

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Anne Kate, cooking is generally based just on heating things to bring out their flavor (or kill the microbes). Ingredients are generally all about the flavor, and so any numbers you see are really suggestions, and any ingredients you want can be left out or substituted, and your palette is the only judge of success--so long as foods are cooked long enough to be inert. Many of my favorite recipes becan very differently from how I currently make them, and evolved as I decided I didn't really care for the flavor of that spice, or it could use more of this, or this other thing would make a nice addition. Heck, the guys on TV don't even use any kind of measuring devices. (The main exception I can think of to this is cooking situations where something must absorb a fairly specific amount of moisture, like pastas, and mashed potatoes--you can certainly mess those up if you screw with the instructions.) Baking, on the other hand, tends to be based on specific chemical reactions, and so there is less leeway for being creative. (Don't believe me? Leave out the baking soda next time! [Wink] )
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Ah, that's true. Mom taught me to be very precise in the proportions of baking soda and salt to flour. Sift once before measuring and don't pack it down. Make a cutting motion with the flat blade of a knife (not curved) across the top of the measuring spoon to eliminate any air pockets inside before scraping it off perfectly even. Use brand new baking powder and find the one with the futurest expiration date. Lots of things like that keep the chemistry right and they do matter very much.

For other recipes, though, (like lasagna or casseroles and things) a very important criterion for me is using the whole package or unit of each ingredient. Since I cook so rarely, any left will go bad and be tossed out. This offends my sensibilities so I modify most non-baking-type recipes to use an integral number of boxes, cans, packages, or units of every ingredient. (I mean not salt. But you know what I mean. Anything that's perishable within the geological time periods between cooking at my house.)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.