FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's a good kind of motorcycle?

Author Topic: What's a good kind of motorcycle?
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I've asked this before, but that was about a year ago and I can't quite remember what was said. Since then, I wound up buying a scooter that, while I love it, it just doesn't quite do it for me. I want something faster, bigger, more powerful. I want a real motorcycle.

Yet I really don't know much about them. Basically, the only way I could get a motorcycle would be to save up $ for a good long while, so I can't really afford an expensive one, or even a medium-priced one. I want something used and in good condition, but at the lowest price possible.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-CM

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
This one.

That's what I'm going to get, anyway. It's reasonably priced and very reliable, and looks great. You can pick them up used pretty easy, although their prices don't go down very quickly.

Edit: And Harley's no longer have the vibration problems they used to, I understand. They are still, however, very high priced, as you are paying for the name and the "lifestyle."

[ December 17, 2004, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I had the guts to ride a motorcycle.

Chicken Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Monitarily I'm probably working in a range of $2k-3k to use on the bike, insurance, and driver's license. I can probably trade my scooter in or sell it, and I bought it new for $1700.

I might even be able to get my insurance in Ohio, considering I switched my residence to here in order to vote for the election in Oberlin.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you already motorcycle endorsed? Or is your scooter under 50ccs? The license itself doesn't cost much, and the class I took first only cost $120 or so.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Take the class. I am persuasive, I talked ElJay into taking the class (okay, overstatement, but she did ride on the back of my motorcycle once).

I currently ride a BMW K100RS which is sweet but perhaps a bit expensive for what you are talking.

I started with a Yamaha Virago. Great, dependable bikes, very affordable, and often recommended as first bikes. My Virago 500 was a good starter bike, and I sold it for almost as much as I paid for it. It's a decent, felxible bike, and has a slightly retro look. The Virago Owners Club is a fine organization, or at least was five years ago.

It depends a bit on what you want it for. How much do you want to ride? Where do you want to go? Will you need to carry stuff, or just go for day trips?

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Noah,

What scooter do you drive? I have a Yamaha Vino 125. Thing is, Once everybody in my family rode my scooter, they didn't want to drive cars anymore! So my dad bought a Honda Elite 80cc, My little brother got a Honda Spree 50cc, and my older brother just got his Italian Aprillia 50 cc.

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
My suggestion, in your price range, is to purchase a used Yamaha in the 650 cc range (or less). You should try to find one with disc brakes on both wheels, especially if you go up towards the higher range of engine sizes.

Stear clear of anything older than 1981 if you're trying to really save money. I don't think you'd have to go that far into the older bikes, but you might find a tempting deal. Just don't go older than 1981 because of the improved braking found on models newer than that.

My suggestion would be a Yamaha Maxim (mid 1980's), or similar. A "sport bike" is good for all-around riding and you can get saddle bags (throw-over leather ones) fairly cheap if it doesn't already have them.

Don't get a crotch rocket.

I LOVE the V-Star like what ElJay wants, but I don't think you'll find much in your price range. If you do, and it's in decent condition...BUY IT!!!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and you probably want to be cautious in buying other Japanese makes. Honda is good. Suzuki and Kawasakis started using some unreliable plastic parts in critical components for awhile there. Great for awhile, then they die and it costs a ton to fix them. Very bad for those looking for older used bikes...

Don't even consider a Harley. Any Harley in your price range would be a complete basket case unless someone is just giving you charity...

Um...forget British or Italian bikes too. Can't afford to fix them either.

PS: look at the tires. If they are worn or nearly slick (i.e. already too warn to be safe), deduct from your budget the price of a new set. It's not an insignificant cost. Serious bummer to find out you've got to pay $300 bucks just to have decent tires...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey man, you would be hard-pressed to find a more capabale all-arounder than the Suzuki SV650. These things are a blast to ride, and the price is right, too. I have a 2000 Suzuki GSX-600 with only 1700 miles, so if you are ever up for a road trip to PA, stop by and you can ride it as much as you like.

I am no where near sold on one manufacturer over another, but Honda bikes are the best engineered. The V-Star that is mentioned here is a very nice bike as well. However, I wanted my first bike to be one that was low-mainentence but with enough performance that I would not be bored with it in a year. The Katana was that bike and I love it immensely!

EDIT: I also enjoyed reading through Motorcycles For Dummies and subscribed to Cycleworld and Motorcyclist for a while before buying. One of those 2 magazines has a nice used bike recommendation each month, but I can't remember which one. Good luck!

[ December 19, 2004, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, I am so old that I remember when Hondas were just motorcyles, and when the first car they made looked like a motorcycle. Bob, some of the vehicles we drove are now antiques. That is just wrong. The 1969 Dodge Polara I was forced to drive in high school in 1981 would actually be cool now.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.