FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Film Version of....

Author Topic: A Film Version of....
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever!

Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere else. I'm just a bit shocked and fascinated -- I'm in the middle of reading The Illearth War -- it's my first time through Donaldson's work -- and I was just thinking the other day about how this might be filmed. I, of course, thought, "Could not ever happen, what with the main character raping someone at the very beginning."

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst]
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally couldn't sit through 3 hours of whingeing, hand-wringing and petulance, but hey, some people enjoyed Attack of the Clones so I guess there must be some kind of market for that kind of tripe.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
What a silly idea.
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
(shudder)
I really hated that series.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Noooooooo! No Leper angst!!!!!

And my Fiancee wants a white gold wedding ring...

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
This is actually Peter Jackson's fault. *cringe*
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Delphiki
Member # 1035

- posted      Profile for Bean Delphiki   Email Bean Delphiki         Edit/Delete Post 
Donaldson should have quit after the first 3 in the series. The books move to slow for me. I'd much rather see The Belgariad made into a movie, or perhaps a stand alone Polgara the Sorceress movie. But we all know the chances of those ever happening is like ever getting a sequel to the Enders Game movie. (Yes, I know, think about it.)
Posts: 16 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
How do you start a hero out by having him rape a girl? How do you leave it out? What a crappy notion!

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is that the battle scenes - both the large scale army v. army and the more personal combat - would likely be very cool. Imagine getting to see the Bloodguard in action, or Morham dueling the Raving Giant.

The problem is that leaving out the non-action scenes would gut the stories of all their original meaning. Plus, they can't leave out the rape scene - that scene informs most of what happens throughout the series.

I don't see a movie that preserves the books character being very good or popular.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ew. Just plain ew.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.