FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gmail

Author Topic: Gmail
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know how I can make a group-contact in gmail, so i don't have to type out all the emails of my band members every time I want to send out an email?
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Click on Compose mail. It lets you click on the people in your contacts list that you want to send the email to. Than you can write one email and it'll go to everyone you've selected.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I mean I want to have a "group", where if I type in the group's name, it automatically gets sent to everyone in the group.
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I figured that, but couldn't find a way to do it.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a help forum and it's searchable. I found an explanation that I tried to link to but it didn't work. Then I tried copying the information, but that didn't work either.

Go to Gmail help discussion and type "group" in the search box. "Creating a group for contacts" was the second item when I did the search. That is where the explanation was.

Here's hoping my post works this time.

[ December 20, 2004, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: CaySedai ]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, basically their Help menu says It can't be done at this time. But that they are working on it as a new feature.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragonfoss
Member # 7155

- posted      Profile for dragonfoss   Email dragonfoss         Edit/Delete Post 
if you edit a contact and put the same note for everyone you want to have in a list all you have to do is search for the note in contacts i.e. "band" [Razz]
Posts: 29 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
Steps to jury-rig a group contact. This is an imperfect two-stage process, but will work in a pinch.

Stage One
  • Open the Contacts Window
  • Click "Add Contact"
  • In the "Name" Field enter the name of the contact (i.e. band, hatrack, etc.)
  • In the "Primary e-mail" field, enter the addresses of all desired members of the group, separated by commas (i.e. joe@joe.com, frank@joe.com, billy@bob.com, admin@hatrack.com, f_prefect@hitchhiker.com, ...)
  • Click Save
Stage Two
  • Click "Compose Mail"
  • In the "To" field, enter the name of the group to which you would like a message sent and press enter. The name should be replaced with the list of addresses in brackets, preceded by the name of the group (i.e. "Hatrack" <dagonee@cq.com, nathan@taylor.com, john@jorge.com, billy@bob.com>,)
  • MOST IMPORTANT STEP: Delete the brackets and the name of the group from the "To" field leaving only the addresses separated by commas. Failure to perform this step will result in message failure due to "invalid address."
  • Compose and send message
Hopefully they'll get this fixed soon so that no two-stage process will be necessary. Enjoy!
Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
When I checked my Gmail to see if I could find the answer to the problem of making a contact list, I discovered I can now invite 10 friends to Gmail. I was down to one invitation and now I have 10. [Eek!] I don't think I know 10 people who don't have Gmail - I think Hatrack is pretty well tapped out. [Grumble] Am I going to accumulate Gmail invitations until I have to invite the whole world? [Angst]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Mine works fine. I don't know why yours wouldn't be, though. Sorry.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have Gmail. But neither do I want Gmail. So we're okay there.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
BookWyrm,

I sometimes have it time out, but after 2 or 3 tries, they messages will always download.

On the bright side, I never hate having to use the web interface.

*Edited for spelling only*

[ December 22, 2004, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: peterh ]

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Griffin
Member # 7166

- posted      Profile for Griffin   Email Griffin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by IdemosthenesI:

Hopefully they'll get this fixed soon so that no two-stage process will be necessary. Enjoy! [/QB]

So, is there a shorter way?
Posts: 131 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom we have antoher one for our list! Sweet.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I love seeing Jay's admiration of Tom.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffin:
So, is there a shorter way?

You could go to "Contacts," select the checkboxes you want to send mail to and hit "Compose," but if you have a large number of people in your group, that might not be all that practical.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.