FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » singing along.

Author Topic: singing along.
blackcatwings
Member # 7077

- posted      Profile for blackcatwings   Email blackcatwings         Edit/Delete Post 
Normally when i'm driving by myself i turn on the radio and sing along. I know it's kind of dorky. (i'm afraid i'm not very good. [Cry] ) Anyway, my cousin came back from TN for the holydays and we were going into town when I started singing to one of my favorite songs. She started laughing and I felt really stupid.

Does any one else sing to the radio?

Posts: 22 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
hey......(yes but) you should be on that show Motor Mouth......than the U.S. could all laugh at you
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
While driving, I often sing, and play either keyboard, drums, guitar, or bass. And on the rare occasion, banjo or mandolin.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
i usually play harmonica and trumpet at the same time while driving.....not an easy task especially while on the highway going 75 m/h
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, you're not old enough to drive... yes, that's right, i'm a psychic. You're 14, am I correct? [Razz]
Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I often sing along with the radio or my CDs. If I'm in the car with someone I know well, I'll sing with them there too (just usually not as loud as I do when I'm alone). [Big Grin]

Are you dorky enough that you make up harmonies to go with the songs?

[ December 22, 2004, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I harmonize like crazy.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

Well,I'm not old enough to drive yet either, but I sometimes make up bass lines on my air bass guitar while sitting in the passengers seat... and sing them too [Blushing] And my brother in the back pretends to play his drums... and my dad sings (not well [Laugh] ) What can I say? We're a weird family. Of course, when my mom is in the car we're all silent [Dont Know]
Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I always harmonize, too, sometimes harmony sometimes descant [Smile] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I do, but then, I'm a singer anyway. And yes, I sometimes harmonize. Especially if the song is by a singer whose voice is way too high for my range, like Stevie Wonder.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I just play with the octaves, Verily. Usually its those singers with the very low voices I have a problem with, so I just flip up eight notes for a few bars [Smile] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I do that, too. All depends on my mood at the time.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Naturally [Big Grin] .
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to sing while I drove, but now that I no longer have a car, I don't.

However, Hindi movies have a lot of singing and dancing. As in, oh, about a dozen songs per movies. Even the movies that are action movies or have a lot of violence or are about POWs locked up in a jail attempting their Great Escape. Serious songs.

And Fahim - who, I might add, can sing no better than I, and I'm downright lousy and off-tune - will sing right along with them. I laugh at him. But then, I also join in singing when I can. [Smile] It's fun! [ROFL]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a singer, but my car is the only place I get to sing and the only place I get to listen to cds, so 99% of my music collection is sing-a-long friendly, and I drive as much as I can.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't sing..but I point and laugh at people that do.
Looks like you guys would keep me busy.
Too bad this place doesn't have a point-and-laugh smiley. How about just laugh? [Evil Laugh]

[ December 23, 2004, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: Tater ]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

[Laugh]
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Tater
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
As some of you know, I love to sing along with the radio and/or CD! Especially if it's a really good song or one right in my range. Or if I'm in a good mood in general. [Blushing] [Big Grin]

[Laugh] Tater.

Ivygirl

Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
is that what that is?!?!

[Laugh]

No way...
wow...
I always thought he was stabbing someone. I thought it was like a poke. Or a jab. Or an angry thrust of the finger. Hmph.

Heck, i deserve to be laughed at. Laugh away, little smiley. [Laugh] Me

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Steve, you're not old enough to drive... yes, that's right, i'm a psychic. You're 14, am I correct?
Well, according to Steve's post in the Worst Gift thread, his worst gift was from his wife -- so if he's only 14, we have a problem...

..of course, he IS from Missouri....

Farmgirl (posting on Ivygirl's computer)

Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does any one else sing to the radio?
Constantly. And anyone who laughs at me for it is simply pitied for having a life so devoid of interest that my car-singing habit is a subject of comment.

I dance and play drums on the steering wheel, to.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

At VBS he said he was only 7 in 1997 [Dont Know]
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I wasn't singing while I was driving...

What DO you do? Just sit there in silence and laugh at the singers in other cars?

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
At VBS he said he was only 7 in 1997
Okay, now you have me confused Desdemona. Do you know him IRL? What's VBS?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
But does anyone really know anyone? [Dont Know]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, sure, quidscribis!

We know YOU well, because you have all those lovely web pages telling us everything about you! [Wink] In fact, we were reading those just last night because I was trying to remember exactly where you live (and look up Sri Lanka on a map.)

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I Sing and Dance [Big Grin] ---I like to keep the pointers and laughers in the world busy. [Taunt]
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Gee, Farmgirl! You mean someone actually reads 'em?

But seriously, I AM working on updating them. Many problems. . . FrontPage puked. . . Blog program hiccoughed . . . Anyway, working on it, will get it done. [Wall Bash]

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
VBS = Virtual Battleschool, another forum at Hatrack

In other contexts, Vacation Bible School. [Smile]

[ December 24, 2004, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yeah - that's what I was thinking - vacation bible school. That's why I was so confused. [Big Grin]

And singing in the car -- I used to date someone who would direct the orchestra with both hands while listening to symphony in the car..

FG

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Hey, I direct orchestras all the time! Well, until my hubby looks like he wants to lock me up in a padded cell. In which case I just slink away and bribe him with chocolate or something.
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
I sing along all the time, and loudly too.

I'm with fiazko and Dagonee.

[Smile]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Listening to NPR frees one from most of these concerns (esepcially if you don't know Latin or German), but I do find myself "moving" to the music ... and I put moving in quotes because it's different from the way one might move to a pop song, but it's still very much movement.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
At home I dance in my seat and try to sing in Russian and Hindi and other languages I don't know.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a singer by any means, but I sing along in my car too. The way I see it is, if I'm singing, then I'm not yelling at the idiot who tried to run me off the road. [Wink]

Then again, I sing along just about anywhere if I know the song. I do it in stores all the time. I even caught myself doing it a couple times while listening to my walkman on campus, haha.

quote:
At home I dance in my seat and try to sing in Russian and Hindi and other languages I don't know.
I try to sing along to stuff in other languages too. I've tried chinese, portuguese, korean, italian...to name a few. For some reason, when I'm listening to music, the words don't really have meaning, even in english, and they only register as sounds (unless I've heard it a million times or read the lyrics). I guess I kind of just imitate the sounds along with the song.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

"frees one from concerns"?!?!

There is almost no feeling in the world as pleasant as I find singing on a day when my voice is in good shape! Not being able to sing along with a song pretty much relegates it to my "don't much like" pile.

-o-

Along the lines of what signal said, if it's late at night, I never fall asleep at the wheel when I'm singing. The same is not always true when I'm not.

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I love singing along with whatever I'm listening to, although it's usually a CD rather than the radio. I refrain from doing it if I have a passenger in the car, because I know it's not a lot of fun to listen to, but if I'm alone I'll happily sing away. I've had people laugh at me at stoplights and the like, but I don't quite get that. Most people enjoy singing along with music they like. How is it dorky to do that? In any case, I don't really care if some anonymous stranger thinks I'm a dork.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

I think most people do it, but it looks really really funny to see someone rocking out when you can't hear the music. Mute MTV or VH1 sometime and see how dorkily intense everyone looks. [Smile]
Megachirops
Member # 4325

What I normally do, btw, is drive in the left lane when possible, and don't pull up right next to a car at a stop light--I try to come to a stop three or four feet ahead or behind the car next to me. Because I am self-conscious, and being self-conscious would detract from my enjoyment. And it's all about my enjoyment.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Trafficpalooza, coming soon to a car near you

I sing constantly in the car. When my family's aong, they'll sing with me (or, possibly, against me). And with a few friends who know the words, we'll harmonize. Here I'm thinking the Buffy musical soundtrack...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
See, when I pull up next to someone who is rocking out I smile, but in a "hey, that person is having so much fun, how great is that!" sort of way, not a "my god, you poor pathetic fool" way.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Sometimes I try to harmonize, but I wasn't really built for harmony--I'm more of a lead guy. [Smile]
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I am guilty at this one. I have a tendancy to sing along to my cd's (I hate radio, too many commercials). Thing is, is that I inherited my mother's musical ability.....none what-so-ever. I don't care. Most of what I listen to when I drive is NuMetal, or some other form of Rock so how good my voice is doesn't really matter.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] Do people NOT sing along? I thought it was just...something everyone did.
Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I do it. Especially angry music when I'm in that sort of mood.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chveya
Member # 2623

- posted      Profile for Chveya           Edit/Delete Post 
My brother, not being able to sing at all, mumbles along to the radio with a low humming noise. He sounds like an idiot. It's great. [Smile]

Cat

Posts: 60 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Not only do I sing along in the car, I sing along to the music playing in grocery stores, department stores and the music that plays in the theater before a movie starts. Sometimes, I am quite boisterous to the chagrine of others. Most of the time the singing is contained to just under my breath. I also tend to beat out rhythms or tap out the music with my fingers on any surface they come in contact with.

Sheesh... the things you confess to the 'Rack.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I sing along to the grocery store music, too.

I mostly listen to instrumental now. This is partially because that's what I'm liking at the moment, and partially because I take the bus and train everywhere. If I was listening to something with vocals, I fear I would sing along. Nothing wrong with singing along in a car or at the grocery store, but I draw the line at singing along to music while on the train.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.