FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My Elfish Adventure

Author Topic: My Elfish Adventure
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend has one of the coolest jobs in the world -- she's a newspaper reporter (OK, so even she doesn't think it's all that cool most of the time, but I sure think it's swell and she's pretty good at it even if she doesn't want to acknowledge that. Actually, she's probably better at story writing, but she really doesn't believe that. Silly girl.). We live about 100 miles away from each other so we usually only get to see each other on the weekends, which kind of sucks, but such is the case for long-distance relationships.

Anyway, Sunday I went out to her town of Waynesboro, PA to see her and I got myself caught up in quite the Christmas adventure. She had to cover a story about a local fire department who take it upon themselves to perform a small Christmas miracle every year. You can read her article about it here. We accompanied the volunteers and delivered gifts to poor, underpriveldged families that evening. It was a wonderful experience and not only did I get to ride in a fire engine and pass out candy canes, they took us back to their fire hall and fed us dinner (best saurkraut I've ever tasted).

I think a lot about our country these days and I worry about how greedy we are in business, in social interaction and in our personal lives. It was such a wonderful experience to have been able to be part of something that really demonstrated human warmth and compassion. Charity and general kindness seem to be in such sort supply these days and it really lifted my own spirits to see the volunteers of this fire company get together and give of their time to do something creative, productive and that truly enriched the community.

Firefighters of Mont Alto, PA, I salute you!

[ December 21, 2004, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: Godric ]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
So, I read through this twice trying to figure out where the elves came in. [Embarrassed]

That sounds great, glad you had a good time and did a good thing. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
I was helping Santa deliver the gifts -- I thought that was rather elfish...

[Dont Know]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.