FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is Midwest? (a grumble....)

Author Topic: What is Midwest? (a grumble....)
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Once again, as always on National News, I see an article about the "Midwest" of the United States, and then read to see they are taking about Ohio, or Chicago?

Excuse me?

How is the world is that Midwest?

I know they have all these geographic "regions" somewhere that someone has made up, but they never make sense to me.

I mean -- it used to be nothing was considered "west" unless it was West of the Mississippi River. And "mid" indicates neither far north nor far south.

Sorry - I just don't consider Chicago to be Midwest. It is NORTH and maybe CENTRAL, but there is definately nothing "west" about it.

The "middle" of the country is the Great Plains, and "west" show be west of Mississippi -- so Midwest would be Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Dakotas, Oklahoma, etc.

[Grumble] So the headlines say "huge Midwest winter snow" and they are talking about Ohio. Not a flake here....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, I totally agree with your logic. Oklahoma and Kansas are still the "middle" for that matter. I guess Midwest is everything between the Appalachians and the Rockies that isn't South. But it bugs me too! (and we don't have any so here yet either.)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Preach it, sister!

Although I've always considered the "mid" part to mean "not-exactly West but getting there", so since "West" starts at the Mississippi the states right on either side of the river are the Midwest. (But even going your way, most of Minnesota is West of the Mississippi.) So when I refer to my part of the country, I call it the "Upper Midwest" with midwest refering to the east-west direction and upper refering to the north-south direction.

But certainly not Ohio. Demmed Easterners.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, thinking about history, I always thought it made sense. After all, since the country just used to be the east coast, anything further than that is West. I assumed they called the rockies "the Far West" and... us, the "Middle West" or something like that. I could ask someone on my linguistics community about the origin of the phrase, though.

..I think I will. I'm curious now.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
To people who live on the coasts--the majority of the media power people--anything east of Las Vegas, and west of the Appalacians, is either Mid West, South, or Texas.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno...I think there's a very different ethos to Indiana, Michigan, etc., than there is to other places (I don't know if ethos is the right word, but sure, why not). To me, it isn't so much the geographical location as it is the culture. I don't know if I can expound on that, though. Let me think on it.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryuko explained my take exactly. [Hat]
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/usa/statesbw/regions.shtml

I teach social studies, sometimes, and I swear they cjange the regions on a daily basis.

This is from a GREAT website, so if any of youhomeschool your kids, it is a fun site full of things for kids to do and for you to have them do.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
That is so cool, Liz.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
IT's called the "mid-west" because it's made up of what used to be the "Northwestern Territory" which at that point in time was the west. Then after the rest of the continental US was acquired, it was still considered to be west of the civilized areas, but it wasn't the west geographically speaking, so it became the "Mid West"
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Great link, Liz.

But it brings up questions -- 1) just who made those divisions?

And what exactly IS, then that eastern border of the "Midwest" - that separates the "Atlantic" and the Midwest" regions on that map?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Farmgirl(and I owe you a thanks by the way),
A lot depends on who is doing the dividing up. I looked just in a social studies search, but, like I said, I have seen it divvied up differently. If you are the post office, it might be different, or the census bureau, or whatever. There are also regions based on landforms. Honest, it was frustrating, becaue the books we were using at the time did not match up with the Mass. frameworks.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I guess this has always been a pet peeve of mine because it is also reflected here locally on a much smaller scale.

I live in Sedgwick County Kansas (that's a link to a map of the county.)

Now, all the major media in this area is controlled, of course, in Wichita. So when we have a major thunderstorm or something going through here, it seems the radio/tv stations don't pay any attention to it at all until it is on the doorstep of Wichita. So it will hit Maize on the western edge of the city and they will come on TV and say "there is a major storm coming in on Western Sedgwick County!!!!" And by that time it has already flattened my area (see Mt. Hope way out Northwest) and other areas of truly WESTERN parts of the county. So I hate it when they call Maize "west Sedgwick County"

(boy, I must just be b****chy today.)

FG

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Indiana and I live in the MidWest. What other geographical region might I live in?

To be quite honest, I think of, say, Minnesota, as the North, not the Midwest.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Works both ways. I knew this lady from Colorado who was sure she lived in the midwest. I figure it's one of those good linguistic markers to know who the sane people are.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
You're all wrong... anything east of Reno (or to be charitable, Salt Lake City) is EAST!!!!

Or so I thought growing up in California.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Of course we're the Midwest. I have never, ever heard any other reginal name given to the Chicago aread. Never. Chicago is, like, the Midwestern city. What else would you call the region?

I had no idea there was any controversy over it, to be honest. I figure anything west of Iowa is the West. Liz's map says west of Nebraska is the West, and that's okay too, I guess. [Grumble]

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
I have lived pretty much my entire life in Indiana, and, like blacwolve, I see nothing wrong with the idea that Indiana = Midwest. I don't normally consider Ohio to be Midwest, but if truth be told, I don't spend a lot of time thinking about Ohio anyway. I'm not sure what to categorize it as. I do know people from there, however, and they consider it the Midwest. I would even say Missouri is Midwest, but that's as far as I can go with it. After that, it's all pretty much West to me.
Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up in Texas and I always planned to move to the Midwest to live. Now, here I am, living in northern Indiana and I thought I had moved to the Midwest just as I had planned all along. This thread was quite a shock to me. It never occurred to me this wasn't considered the Midwest by some people.

[ December 23, 2004, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Theca ]

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I have seen Texas in the South, the Southwest, and the Great Plains.

When I was in fourth grade, there was Northeast, South, Midwest, Great Plains, and West.

Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I live most definitively in the Northeast, and my state is the cornerstone of the entire country. Without me, your flabby country would be a hopelessly lost series of landmasses floating in the wake of plate tectonics at its worst.

Fear me! Mwah hah hah!

Other than that, Pennsylvania is pretty boring. Unless you like cow-tipping or Amish cooking or monster trucks.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm inclined to agree with Farmgirl. When you talk about the "Midwest," the traditional "flyover" states, you have two distinct types of states: the good states (the ones around the Great Lakes) and the ugly, pointless states (the Great Plains). [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
As someone who lived in the actual West (Colorado) and moved to what is termed the "MidWest" (Indiana) I find the term rather foolish and stupid, but that's about it. There's nothing West about Indiana, unless you want to know what direction to go to get there from New York, but in relation to the rest of the country, really the "West" should be dropped it can just be called "Mid".

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Alucard,
You live in a Mid-Atlantic state, according to some regional maps.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Midwest is a somewhat older term, dating from when indiana was about the middle of the west (around the beginning of the civil war).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
::rises to the bait::

::peers at it owlishly::

::goes about his business::

I completely agree with you, FarmGirl, both about the ridiculousness of the use of the term Midwest to cover so many distinct, disparate regions, and about how annoying the weather coverage down there would be if you didn't live right in Wichita.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
Well yeah, that's where it started...

Anyway, I don't even see the need for clearly defined regions. Whenever I'm ever asked where I live (which, BTW, is never), I reply, "Oklahoma," not "Midwest" or "South" or "Great Plains."

The only time regions are ever used are when people are talking about general areas of the country, in which case most people generally agree on the approximate area which is all that usually matters in those cases.

Although I do agree it is kind of annoying that the news refers to Ohio as the midwest. If its just one state in question, why not just say Ohio? If its textual, Ohio is less letters. If its verbal, Ohio is much more fun to say.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Here in California, we believe in three states:

California (of course!)
New York (a close second if you, for whatever reason, must live outside of California)
and
Kansas (everything else)

I am currently going to a school in Kansas: in the area called 'Indiana' if you want to be more specific... [Razz]

(I guess we figure there's the West, the East, and the Midwest. The least the South is mentioned, the better... [Wink] )

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
jhai where are you going to school? I'm in bloomington Indiana (Kansas nah)
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

quote:
I believe Midwest is a somewhat older term, dating from when indiana was about the middle of the west (around the beginning of the civil war).
I definitly heard that too Fugu, so let's go with that. [Smile]

It's still stupid though. [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*shrug* I consider Chicago the Midwest for two reasons, I think. One: I was taught in school from a map that looked just like the one Elizabeth linked to. Two: My mom, a Chicagoland native, has been known to say she's from the Midwest (although she'll usually just say Chicago).

Next shall we discuss the idiocy and geocentricism of the terms "Middle East" and "Far East"? [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Hey, I'm not saying "MidWest" is the only stupid geographic reference in the world, I'm just saying it's stupid. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't bother me in the slightest. There are bizarre etymologies all over the English language, and things often end up meaning the opposite of what they "should" mean.

Language might always be changing, but it sure is stubborn about giving up its quirks.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GradStudent
Member # 5088

- posted      Profile for GradStudent   Email GradStudent         Edit/Delete Post 
The midwest is anywhere that calls carbonated beverages "pop."
Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
(to breyerchic04: DePauw, in Greencastle)
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
oh cool. I can't think of anyone that goes there right now, I think i knew someone who did, but they transferred to IU.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to call the Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, etc. area "The Old Northwest." I also like calling it "The Wobbish Area", but only in my head. I can't say it aloud, because it wouldn't make sense to anyone. Which is a shame, because I really like saying "Wobbish". [Big Grin]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
This whole thread cracks me up.

Evidently, I've been to Kansas. Washington, Kansas. Oregon, Kansas. Idaho, Kansas. Montana, Kansas. Utah, Kansas. Wow! Didn't know I'd been to Kansas! [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.