FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Texas Hatrackers Help!

Author Topic: Texas Hatrackers Help!
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
I need help from ya'll down in Texas! I will be in Dallas, Texas from Jan. 3rd-14th for training. I'll be staying in the Magnolia Hotel. I have driving directions off of mapquest but sometimes those directions take you way out of the way. So I was wondering if anyone has decent directions coming down out of Dodge City, Ks. Any tips on areas to avoid would be MUCH appreciated! I haven't had to drive in a big city in YEARS! [Eek!]

Also, does anyone know some interesting things to do while I'm there. (If I have time.. if I don't pass the training I don't get the promotion! [Angst] )

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't help you with the directions, but I can tell you that the Magnolia is a fabulous hotel. I stayed there a couple years ago and absolutely loved it (didn't hurt that my job was paying). The biggest problem that I remember with it is that it's not particularly close to anything except office buildings. There is a fabulous french restuarant across the street, but other than that I don't remember there being much in the immediate vicinity. Of course I was also spending all my time at a conference, so I didn't really have time to explore.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like you'll be coming down I-35... this is the nightmare freeway during rush hour(at least for me since I drive it everyday).

If you'll hit it between 7-9am or 4-6pm you'll want to allocate at least an extra 30 mintues for travel between Denton and downtown. You'll need it for the rush hour back-up.

The directions to get to the Magnolia from yahoo maps look direct and easy-

from I-35 south take exit #428E to Reunion Blvd.
It'll loop around (the exit) you'll start on Reunion Blvd, and then it becomes Commerce Street.

About a mile down, you'll find the hotel on your left!

Things to do... let me ponder and post later. I've got to clean and wrap!

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump* so Katharina will see this thread too
Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Coccinelle gives GREAT advice - she's lived there longer too.

I'll be back in Texas on the 3rd. E-mail me! You can come to Gilmore Girls night. [Big Grin]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

Thanks for the tips so far. Yeah the Magnolia doesn't look like the type of hotel I could EVER afford on my own. (I'm a super 8 kinda gal! [Razz] )

I'll have all day to drive on Monday, classes don't begin until Tuesday morning, so I'll make sure I avoid the rush hour. Once I get there I should be safe.. the classes are right in the hotel so if the traffic is to scary [Angst] I can just hole up and hope that Pizza Hut delivers! But I hope I am brave enough to go out some, I would like to do some site seeing.

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry it took me a few days to get back to you, but I have put some thought into things to see.

You're right in the center of downtown, so many of the landmarks are within walking distance. Driving isn't too scary, if you just take your time. Don't worry if you're going slower than other drivers, they'll cope with it. Houston is MUCH worse than Dallas.

Your hotel will probably have a map of downtown.

Walking downtown is fun and preferable to driving, parking can be a pain (and expensive), so most people just pick a spot and walk to most places. If you can pick up a free map it makes it easier to plan your walk. Try to be in before it gets too dark if you're walking by yourself, but daylight hours are the best for seeing sights anyway!

Here's a map of downtown Dallas and bus routes. The bus service downtown (DART), is efficient and good. I love the trains (DART Rail), and you can catch one at the west-end that'll take you up to Mockingbird Station for a nice shopping/dining experience that won't be as expensive as downtown. There's also a movie theater there that shows foreign/independent films.

You're at #23 on the map, I'll try to reference numbers as I go through some sights to see. Downtown isn't that big, especially when you've got some goos tennis shoes on. If you walk too far, then just buy a bus/train ticket and jump on the bus home.

Some sights to hit, just walk by
#45 The Old Red Courthouse- Beautiful sight to see, the visitors center is in there, where you can pick up a good map of downtown.(It's on Commerce, the street you're staying on)

#28 Reunion Tower- It's completely worth the $3 to take the elevator to the top. You get an amazing view of the city on a clear day. Plus, it's the best elevator ride I've ever taken. [Smile]

Near #40 (You'll see it on the map) Pioneer Plaza This is a little far from where you are staying, but if you get to Reunion Tower, it's not too far up the road. It's a great place for the perfect Texas photo. A herd of bulls in the middle of downtown. When they opened this exhibit, they had a real "cattle drive" through downtown. Fun.

#39 Dealy Plaza - A beautiful park, but known forever as the location of JFK's assassination. It's close to the Texas School Book Depository where the Sixth Floor Museum is located. Depending on how interested you are in JFK, will depend on how interesting that museum will be to you. I'd suggest a stroll around the museum bookstore, as that will give you some good information without the $6 admission. It's even more fun to just walk around Dealy Plaza and the JFK Memorial (freebies). Street vendors will inform you of all sorts of interesting tidbits if you talk to them. There's another museum that's near the memorial, The Conspiracy Museum. It's free if you go less than thirty minutes before closing, and that's all you really need. I wouldn't pay to go there.

The West End Marketplace is highly overrated in my book, but a fun indoor shopping center downtown. It's lively on the weekends, as there are many clubs and bars in the area. It's close to Dealy Plaza and around the corner from the 6th floor museum.

The John Neely Bryan Cabin- What can I say, it's a cabin in the middle of downtown Dallas. If you want to see it, go for it.

#14 The downtown library is HUGE! I loved going there when I was in high school.

If you want to and have time, e-mail me and you, Kat, and I can get together Tuesday evening. They are the sacred "Gilmore Girls" night, but we could record it and spend an evening downtown. [Smile]

Have fun!

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

I just reread your initial post- I thought you said the 3-4 not the 3-14! There are SO many more fun things to do. I'll have to get you some more things outside of downtown.

Definately the West End on a weekend- it's lively, street bands and vendors- so much fun to look at.

You'll have to get in touch with me, and I'll gladly drive you outside of downtown.

The Dallas Museum of Art is free on Thursday evenings (after 6 or 7), You can listen to the Symphony at the Meyerson for free if you dress up and sit in the lobby near the ticket booths.

www.guidelive.com has listings for most events and sights in Dallas.

As far as eating out... I'm not good in that department, but there are plenty of eateries in the West End area that aren't too expensive. Also, if you take the train up to Mockingbird Station, there are many places to eat there.

Greenville Avenue has an electic assortment of places to eat, from indian food to american burgers.

I'll think more and post later.

Really, driving isn't scary in Dallas and there are ways to get just about anywhere without getting on a freeway. trust me. I didn't drive on a freeway until I was 21 and I went everywhere [Smile] (Even Ft. Worth)

babager
Member # 6700

WOW! Thanks for all the great info!! [Hat] I hope to do as much as I can, but I'll be in class all day and have to study at night.
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I could drive down one day...maybe Saturday the 8th or Thursday the 13th.

The difference would be that on weekends the kids come with me, and on weekdays I either have to keep them out of school or be back by 6:15. Or wait until 3 to leave here.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Bumping this to ask...

Did babadger get to Dallas okay? I'm asking because we are having a major ice storm in this area, and I'm hoping she wasn't driving through ice...

Farmgirl
(I was sick yesterday, so wasn't on the computer much)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.